Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M14/Norinco 305 - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

Default M14/Norinco 305 - thoughts?

I'm thinking about buying a Norinco M14/305. I understand the Norinco has a forged receiver and chrome-lined barrel and supposedly is a quality semi-auto.

Anybody here have any experience with it?

How about the M14 itself - what sort of accuracy and reliability did you experience with it? I'm obviously not looking for a sniper rifle, but I don't want a shotgun that fires big pellets one at a time either.

Other thoughts on the design, the M14 and the Norinco knock-off would be appreciated.

thx

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

And they get first dibs on the Maple Syrup too!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Faintly recall a conversation with a fellow range member who did some gunsmithing and liked working with military type rifles. He owned a Norinco M14. Lets assume he got it years ago. He thought it was a decent rifle, but he didn't like the quality of the metal in the Chinese bolt in his rifle and replaced it with a surplus G.I. one.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1458 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I have Poly M14S I bought new in 1993 for $350. I have heard the receivers are somewhat better than SA but I don't know that. Also I have read that the bolts are a little soft and headspace could be a problem after a lot of shooting. I don't know that either. I don't like the fake flash suppressor but its spot welded on and plus the threads are metric so can be a pain to replace. I don't know the price of the one your looking at but the 24th edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms give one NIB a value of $1000 and exc. $875. I haven't shot mine a lot but its never gave me any issues so far.

img_2472.jpg   img_2473.jpg   img_2465.jpg   img_2467.jpg   img_2468.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

its a crap shoot with the chicom m1a. some have nice recievers properly hardened some are softer than toilet paper. its pretty much potluck.

m1a are typically decent in accuracy with handloads using quality bullets they can hold 2moa most of the time.

they can be accurazied to 1 moa guns IF the person doing it knows their stuff but its not easy to keep them shooting at that level which is why you dont see them in competition much.

accuracy is about like a FAL or HK decent but nothing to write home about.

personally i find them fun to shoot but heavy clunky and clumsy guns. not something i would want lug around much. ive owned 3 in the past and my opinion still hasnt changed. they have a nostalgia about them but they really arent that great. they were supposed to be an upgrade to the garand but im not seeing it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #6

I've been doing some research. This is a video I found that was filmed at a range not far from my place. I don't know the guy but I recognize the shooting stalls. The groups are shown at the end of the video and not too shabby:

Apparently, the tooling machines for the M14 were sold to the Chinese when the M14 was retired, which would explain why these Chinese (Taiwan?) products are pretty decent.

Last edited by Rocky7; 04-07-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a Fed Ord M14 and find it to be a pleasure to shoot. Prefer it much more than my Garand or 1903 Springfield. Very nicely balanced and if you consider the accuracy needs for a battle rifle which was not designed for punching paper on a range, the rifle is more than adequate and would serve well for any hunting or general shooting accuracy needs.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I've been doing some research. This is a video I found that was filmed at a range not far from my place. I don't know the guy but I recognize the shooting stalls. The groups are shown at the end of the video and not too shabby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvoYe7rm4zQ

Apparently, the tooling machines for the M14 were sold to the Chinese when the M14 was retired, which would explain why these Chinese (Taiwan?) products are pretty decent.
for a while from the mid 70's to the mid 90's chinese steel was far superior to american steel in quality and if your norinco or other chicom firearm was built in that span there is a very good chance its of much higher quality steel than anything produced in america in that same time frame

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #9

Interesting, JonM. There's chatter about "soft" bolts in some early Norincos but for the most part everyone agrees that problem is gone with the ones made over the last few years. It's sure hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on the "net, though, and a lot of folks will repeat something they read as gospel so, who knows? Thanks, everyone, for the input though. It helps.

That video I posted sold me, tho. Now I hafta have one. Just hafta.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

I decided to buy one. Now, I'm lost in a maze of possible scope mounts, all of which are touted as the best.

Does anybody here have any first-hand experience with scope mounts for the M14? I don't want to buy junk. Any experience - good, bad and ugly - would be useful to me.

Thanks.