Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > m14/m1a/m305 muzzlebrake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default m14/m1a/m305 muzzlebrake

hi there

im just having trouble getting the damn thing off so i can crank on the suppressor

ive undone that little hex screw that holds the castle nut, ive got the castle nut turning freely on its threads, but i cant seem to get the frontsight/muzzlebrake array to budge.

Is it held in by some other means or do i just need to get the hammer out?

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You stated that you have removed the hex screw and that the castellated nut is loose so you are almost there.
Clamp the barrel in the padded jaws of a vice and using a small block of hardwood, tap lightly from behind the bayonet lug if it has one or from behind the front sight base forward with a small hammer. You might have to loosen the castellated nut more to get it completely off the threads when the brake starts to move.
The splines could have been peened or there might be red loctite there as well. Just be careful. If you can't move it, take it to a competent smith.