M14 or M1 Garand - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

M14 or M1 Garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Um, a life time warranty? I didn't know that. Thanks for your info! I'll have your post up when i'm checking out the rifle.

I can't buy both, just can't afford it. That's why i'm so torn. However my uncle will buy the M1 if I buy the M14, so I can always shoot it I guess.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergify View Post
Um, a life time warranty? I didn't know that. Thanks for your info! I'll have your post up when i'm checking out the rifle.

I can't buy both, just can't afford it. That's why i'm so torn. However my uncle will buy the M1 if I buy the M14, so I can always shoot it I guess.
If you can get the sn from the M1A, SAI can tell you if it was sold as a complete rifle, or a bare receiver. They warrant the receiver either way, but a whole SAI rifle is guaranteed for life.

And if it is a Springfield Armory M1A, $800 is a great deal. And an older M1A will have a better chance of being filled with USGI parts, instead of the commercial cast parts being mostly used by SAI today.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #13

Just as an aside, if a "real" Springfield Armory M14, you might wanna walk away quick. To my knowledge no M14's where ever released for private sale, not even class 3.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Just as an aside, if a "real" Springfield Armory M14, you might wanna walk away quick. To my knowledge no M14's where ever released for private sale, not even class 3.
This is an excellent point. There seems to be quite a few "Original M14's" showing up for sale of late. I even saw a stripped, complete, re-welded TRW receiver on a table at a gunshow last month for $35. Ha.

The only LEGAL semi auto reweld M14's are the Hahn Machine, and there were not many of those around.

When using the word "Original" I am referring to USGI M14's that were converted to semi-auto, or to receiver halves that have been re-welded into working receivers/rifles. These should be avoided at all cost.

One quick way to tell is by looking to see if the oprod dismount notch is in the middle or the receiver, or near the rear of the receiver. Middle-bad, rear-good. Also make sure there is no provision (lug) on the bottom right of the receiver, for mounting a "go fast" kit.

When in doubt, pass on it.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #15

Liked 108 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If it was ME,I'd jump on the M1A in a heartbeat.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:

Sounds like a great idea. If the M14 pans out to be in decent shape, it sounds like you got um both covered.

Good points brought up by others here as well. I seen an HnR M14 at a gunshow a few yrs back. It was a re-weld, and an ugly re-weld at that.

Speakin of which........ I re-read my post, and wanted to clarify one little thing.
In regards to the bbl markings on some chicom M14's........ the bbls I have seen are not actually marked " Century Arms", but actually abbreviated as CAI. (Century Arms International, or Import..... Cant remember off hand which...

Here is a pic of the rifle I'm referring to......
M14 or M1 Garand - General Rifle Discussion
A bone stock Century Arms Import made in China M14S sittin in a synthetic USGI stock. ( I'm not a big fan of wood stocks from China)

NOTE: M14sRock did a great job of explaining the differences between where the op-rod dismount notch locations are at. This rifle pictured was built from the get-go to be semi auto only. ( Dismount notch located to the rear of receiver just below rear sight.). The large gaping hole you see in the pic is where the select fire lever would reside if this was an actual select fire M14. Also note that there is not a lug in this location either.

A fast and easy way to see if the bolt is USGI or not...
M14 or M1 Garand - General Rifle Discussion

SAI M1A Bush rifle built in 1983. This rifle is sportin a TRW bolt, along with a TRW complete trigger group, and op-rod.

Last edited by fragout; 03-16-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #17

"Go fast kit".

This is mine. Well, due to the provision for it to "go fast" (I love that), it'll never really be mine. It's on indefinite loan to me anyhow...
p3150034.jpg  

Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #18

Ok the "M1a" is made by Polytech. Comes with five 20rd magazines, and 1000 rounds of Surplus ammo. He wants $800. Any advice?

Last edited by Gergify; 03-19-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Ok the "M1a" is made by Polytech. Comes with five 20rd magazines, and 1000 rounds of Surplus ammo. He wants $800. Any advice?
Jump on it.

What is the ammo? If it is Indian (O.F.V.) with 70's dates on the headstamps it is fine. If it is OFV from the 80's or later, pull it apart for the components and reload it. Don't shoot Indian ammo after the mid 70's, but the primed brass and bullets are good.

Are the mags either USGI, or Chinese? Both are great. Pics?

Have the headspace checked (regularly), and if needed do a USGI bolt replacement. But it is not always required.

Can you post pics?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 AM   #20

Quote:
One more thing, the "Heel Marked" Poly's are considered the best of the Chinese M14's. Is this one stamped on the heel, or the side?