Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   M1 shooters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/m1-shooters-35859/)

7point62 12-21-2010 02:40 PM

M1 shooters

I've never owned one but I'm thinking I need to have one. I'm assuming it's good with irons at 500-600 yards, like the M-14 (M1A)? And that the sights are similar?

What about scoping it and shooting 800-1000 yards?

Any recommendations as to what I should look for, or look out for?

Thanks

CA357 12-21-2010 03:55 PM

You're going to love that old rifle. :cool:

7point62 12-21-2010 09:33 PM

I've loved it all my life but have only held one once and briefly.

JonM 12-21-2010 10:26 PM

i used to have one, hated humping it all over. but its a fun range gun. had to sell it long ago kinda wish i still had it.

without some serious accurizing a basic springfield m1 will be stretching its legs past 600yds. but its pretty much same for any bolt rifle, a good trigger either free float or bedded a nice scope or some match grade iron sights nd your right there.

my only complaint is the weight and length of em. they are cool as hell looking but weigh a ton and are pretty clumsy.

M14sRock 12-22-2010 01:12 AM

The M1 is a useful piece of history, that is a LOT of fun.

If you buy a surplus M1 check the muzzle wear and throat erosion (MW and TE), the lower number the better.

CMP has them graded, and for a very good price. If you get one that has a worn out barrel, you can replace it with a new Criterion for a very good price.

The USGI M1's are forged steel, while the commercial version sold by Springfield Armory Inc. (SAI) are built on cast receivers.

Scoping them is a pain because of the need to load from the top, but the irons are the same as the M14 (graded in yards though, rather than meters) and are plenty good to 800 yards with a good barrel and good ammo.

Our very own WJKulek (Walt) is considered one of THE authorities on the M1 alive today, and a PM to him may get you more info than you will know what to do with.

Just remember that the M1 shoots M2 spec ammo, not general .30-06. If you want to shoot off the shelf .30-06 you will want a Schuster adjustable gas plug (avail at Brownells).

JonM 12-22-2010 01:18 AM

oops thought you were talking about the m1 springfield armory m14 copies heh. nm my post then

OldManMontgomery 12-22-2010 01:32 AM

Yes, the Garand sights are all but identical to the M14

The M1 sights were the prototype for M14 sights. The adjustments are a trifle different, but the use is the same.

One can use the irons out to 600 yards. (The caveat being '...depending on one's eyesight'.) There are scope mounts available.

JonM mentioned accurizing. If you intend to shoot at 1000 yards, the basic M1 gets a little loose out past 600 yards. Then again, yours may shoot just fine at extended ranges. If you plan on shooting at extended ranges primarily, you might consider a bolt gun as a primary.

The only 'look out' of which I'm certain are aftermarket receivers rather than G.I. made. There are some very worn Garands out there as well. Make sure the lands and grooves are crisp and clean at the muzzle.

CA357 12-22-2010 02:25 AM

One last note, beware of "Garand Thumb". ;)

7point62 12-22-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 407187)
oops thought you were talking about the m1 springfield armory m14 copies heh. nm my post then

No prob, I should have said "Garand".

Thanks all for taking the time to respond and for the excellent advice. I'll let you know how I fare in my search.

"Garand Thumb," hahaha, ouch.

kalgunner 12-24-2010 04:11 AM

scoping a m1 is not easy. the mount is not centered over the receiver, it is offset to the left side. the m1 d was the sniper version. you might want to set it up like a m1 d , by doing some accurizing and mounting a scope. fun shooter though.