Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1 Carbine vs Mini 14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20028 Times on 11389 Posts
Likes Given: 50532

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
I have both currently and they are both superb weapons.

Drawing on just my experience with both and no 'hard facts' here are my opinions:

Accuracy - I would suggest that the .223 is more accurate, and has longer effective range then the .30c. I shoot at 50yrd and 100yds only and use open sights typically. I have scoped my mini14 for the 100yd range where I havent the mounst on the carbine to do the same but on the 50yr ranges I had pretty good results and tighter groups with the mini14 than my carbine seems to be able to provide.

As for reliability - I think it is a bit of a toss up, both use a similar gas design, and their simplicity makes them very reliable. Both are well made. The carbine is battle tested and my 68 year old carbine is still working flawlessly. My Mini has a few thousand rounds through it with not a single issue.

Cost of ownership (initial) is also about the same, you can get rack grade carbines at Big5 sports for around 800 bucks, and the .223 ruger is also around 800 bucks. Parts are available for both, but the carbine parts can be pricey.

Long term ammo costs- I would give the nod to the .223 as you can get it at any sporting goods shop and it is often on sale, the .30 ammo is a bit harder to come buy and costs more per round.

Accessorizing- well the mini wins hands down in this area, but hey, if your looking at a vintage .30 carbine, I assume you like the steel and wood era rifles and wouldnt be looking for the 'zombie killer' looks and accessories, but if you are, there are some carbine stocks and accessories available, just not as many options as the mini has.

Bang for your buck on the "fun meter" - depends on how you shoot, if scopes and targets are your thing, the mini is the better choice, if just plinking is your intent, the carbine is a blast to shoot, has no recoil and is small so it can be easily shot by children or smaller women.

Cool factor - well, again, depends on your taste. I have been on the range with my restored 1943 SP carbine and had plenty of folks stop by to chat about it and in a day and age where the 'black rifle' is the most common thing on the range, wood and steel often stands out just because it's differnent.

Home Defense - well, neither is a good choice in my opinion. Shooting a rifle at HD ranges such as a hallway often will lead to over penetration so I would look elsewhere for a HD weapon.

SHTF - I would go with the mini as the .223 round is more plentiful, is a NATO standard, and would be easier to find in times of social disrupiton.
well said! good objective post from someone with experiance with both weapons. good information i was kind of looking for myself, as i have been thinking about getting one or the other to add to my collection. thanks for the input.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #12

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

IMHO, the length of pull for larger guys is sadly lacking on both models,

and the Ruger rear sights are sketchy, at best , on the model

I used.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #13

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

mass x velocity = energy do the math

Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Granted there are favorites but....

I have owned a US Carbine, made by Winchester. I loved the rifle but the little cartridge was anemic as to killing power.

I have owned a Ruger Mini 14, I loved the rifle but after the barrel heated up it was not known for it's accuracy.

I have owned a Ruger Mini 30 which I also liked and feel that the 7.62X39 beats both of the above mentioned.

But now suffering the AK47 craze and off upon that tangent which is not what the original subject referred to..'Scuse me...

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 10-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mini 14 is a good gun. So is the carbine. If I choose one. Itld be the Springfield M1 grand.

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

From past experience with both, I would have to go with the Mini. The M1 Carbine is fun to shoot but anemic. No I would not like to get hit by one. They should have made a rimless .357. As posted previously, the Mini30 would be a better choice than either.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #17
Sao

I own a mini got it from my wifes grandfather and I put an ati gunstock onto it never actually shot a m1 though he also has one upstairs just sitting in a corner but I like my mini guess its the whole tactical feel that I get but I've taken it to the range when I was stationed at fort polk with mixed emotion some people really like it others said I should have gotten something else well you can't complain when you get something free oh and forgot to mention I received it with a stainless steel mag the mag wouldn't correctly resulting in having to grip the magazine so it would chamber another round after picking a promag from a local gunstore it work without any problems

Last edited by Sao; 10-26-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I own a mini got it from my wifes grandfather and I put an ati gunstock onto it never actually shot a m1 though he also has one upstairs just sitting in a corner but I like my mini guess its the whole tactical feel that I get but I've taken it to the range when I was stationed at fort polk with mixed emotion some people really like it others said I should have gotten something else well you can't complain when you get something free oh and forgot to mention I received it with a stainless steel mag the mag wouldn't correctly resulting in having to grip the magazine so it would chamber another round after picking a promag from a local gunstore it work without any problems
Interesting anecdote. I've heard nothing but good things about the Ruger mags and nothing but bad things about the aftermarket ones.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #19
Sao

Someone at the range said the same thing but from my my experience I switched mags and it works. I never tried another factory mag as they are twice a much as the pro mags.