M1 Carbine Value
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1 Carbine Value

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default M1 Carbine Value

I have an M1 Carbine purchased through the DCM program over 40 years ago.It is in pristine condition and was only fired twice. What is the approximate value?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1375

There are a great number of variations in carbines- maker, flat bolt/ round bolt, hi wood/ low wood, bayonet lug or not, etc ad infinitum.

However, your GI carbine should be worth around $700 or more, emphasis on more. Most that I see for sale today, plain vanilla GI carbine- are around $850 or so. Wish I had bought a truckload of them in 1966 when they were $42 each at the local A&N store.

And where ARE my manners? Welcome to the forum- when you get a free minute drop by the Introductions thread and say howdy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Default M1

Thanks for your welcome and input.Is there a book or place where I can get more info on all the variations you mentioned?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #4

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

A friend of mine just bought a IBM made M1 carbine for $600, it looks to be rearsonaled at some point but is in almost perfect condition.. Good deal or not?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1375

Probably the definitive work is War baby by Larrry L. Ruth. The book is rather pricey- check with youir library, see if they can get you a copy on inter-library loan.

Trez- many were rearsenaled, and you can wind up with mixed parts, but $600 is a decent price for a good shooter.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

One of the factors that helps determine value of an M1 Carbine is the manufacturer. The name is on the rear of the receiver, under the rear sight if it has the sliding rear sight. You can also determine the manufacturer by the serial number. Numbers were issued to manufacturers in blocks. Where your carbine fits in the blocks will tell you who made it. That said, no manufacturer made 100% of the gun. They mixed and matched parts, and if the gun went into the armory and got rebuilt for any of several reasons, they weren’t interested in the slightest whose parts got mixed and matched in assembly.

Inland (division of General Motors)
Winchester (only gun maker)
Underwood Elliott-Fisher (typewriters and business machines)
National Postal Meter (guess what they made)
Quality Hardware
IBM (The IBM, business machines)
Standard Products
Rock-Ola (juke boxes)
Saginaw Steering Gear (division of General Motors)

Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1976 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 587

M1 Carbine History - Riverbank Armory
Make sure you check out the Carbine List.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.