M1 Carbine Trouble!!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1 Carbine Trouble!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default M1 Carbine Trouble!!

I bought an 1943 Standard Products M1 Carbine a few months back and just got out to shoot it today. I had a tone of feeding problems with all 3 types of ammo I tried to shoot (Prvi Partisan, Aquila, and Wolf). On top of that the bolt would not lock on almost every other shot and had to be slammed into place. Then after about 60 rounds the Hand Guard shot off and it seemed to cycle fine after that. I didn't see any marring on the hand guard that would point to anything rubbing. Any ideas??

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The first thing I do after getting a new carbine is change out all the springs with the Wolff set. Try doing that.

Additionally, it sound like your oprod is touching the handguard. Try cycling slowly by hand and "feel" for a rough spot.

And feeding problems are most commonly magazine related, especially with M1 Carbine mags that were not heat treated. Try some other mags and see if that helps.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What M14 said.

I've had a couple of M1 carbines. Clean 'em, lube 'em and change out the springs. Use G.I. magazines rather than aftermarket mags, even the best ones don't always work 100%.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #4

I can't find any friction points where the op-rod could be rubbing, I tore it down this morning, everything is clean and lubed and its all GI parts. I looked over the wood and I can't find any marks where anything is rubbing and the operating rod is operating smoothly. I thought for sure it was a magazine or ammo issue until the handguard popped off.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 08-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #5

Tighten everything up and it will help. Sounds like your front band was too loose, which allowed the handguard to pop off. Is the metal lip still on the handguard? Is the retaining spring for the front band in good shape?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #6

Yeah the metal lip is still on there, that's actually the funny thing- The front of the handguard was still under the front band (the retaining spring is stiff and strong BTW, it took a little elbow grease to get that front band off when I got it home), it was just the backend (metal lip end) of the handguard that popped up. But nothing is broken and the front band hadn't moved at all (or maybe it moved back on its own??). I didn't even notice it at first, but I tried to acquire the target again and I thought to myself.....why can't I see the front sight???? The last 7 or so rounds in that magazine fired perfectly after I put the handguard in my pocket though.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #7

If your recoil plate (the part at the rear of the receiver) wobbles in the stock, or is loose, it can allow the action to move back far enough for your handguard to pop off as described. Check that out. It is possible to bed them in the stock, or make a shim out of an aluminum can.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #8

I did notice that the whole trigger assembly is a little loosey-goosey, how would I go about using this aluminum can technique???

Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 AM   #9

See if the action is loose in the stock, or is it just the TG?

Essentially, you just find the places where it does not fit the stock tightly and "shim them up" with cut pieces of aluminum can. Just make sure the pieces won't "migrate" into the TG or action. A better option is to use bedding compound and do it right, or get a new stock.

In a pinch once, I used a flattened .22mag shell casing (cut with pliers at the range) and it was perfect, but that was on an SKS TG.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 AM   #10

Its the whole assembly, its even worse with a loaded magazine, if you slide in a loaded mag and move it there is about 2-3 degrees of movement...