M1 Carbine Information? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

M1 Carbine Information?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
I think that helps. This one is from an estate. I can't speak to its history. It was owned by a WWII vet, but I am assuming he picked it up somewhat later.
Its an unknown parts gun in that case.

When dealing with m1 garands m1903 m1903a3 and m1 carbines unless you yourself pulled it out of the packing crate it was shipped in from the manufacturer and purchased it from the military its pretty much a parts gun.

True collector guns will have documentation of origin and histories that can be traced.

This doesnt mean parts guns are valueless but they shouldnt be treated on a collector grading scale. I just put together a 1903a3 with all remington parts that if i installed the sights and took a bit of care with a matching stock it would look like a museum showpiece... cost me around 600 to build it.

What im getting at is dont pay collector prices for a gun that has no paperwork of origin.

You can build out a really nice m1 carbine brand new for about 1000$...

Most carbines arent worth whats being asked for them. I hate seing folks getting ripped off. Especially if your just lookijg for a gun to shoot and have fun with.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-17-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egreen96 View Post
If it does have the bayonet lug it will probably lower the value as these tend to be later produced or Korean War refurbished models
That is my understanding as well. I am just going from memory. It, along with a number of other firearms were brought into one of the spare offices by two other attorneys who I share space with. Neither one knew if they had been checked to make sure they were unloaded, so I offered to do that. I didn't get a real good chance to look over the Carbine, but noticed it didn't appear to be beat up, like some of the others, and when I cycled the action, it didn't feel loose. It wasn't until I saw the appraisal come back that I decided I would see if I could get it and a Ruger Mk. II for the appraised prices.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
That is my understanding as well. I am just going from memory. It, along with a number of other firearms were brought into one of the spare offices by two other attorneys who I share space with. Neither one knew if they had been checked to make sure they were unloaded, so I offered to do that. I didn't get a real good chance to look over the Carbine, but noticed it didn't appear to be beat up, like some of the others, and when I cycled the action, it didn't feel loose. It wasn't until I saw the appraisal come back that I decided I would see if I could get it and a Ruger Mk. II for the appraised prices.

I think if the price is right it would be a sweet shooting gun but like others have stated I wouldn't be looking for very much resale value with a non matching gun. But if the price is good and it's just going to be a shooter I think a carbine would be an excellent choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #14

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Doc, i have collected Carbines since my first DCM rifle in 1963/4 ? There are so many questions about them that require research material, General Motors could mean several divisions of the company that produced Carbines somewhat independently. Most carbines were rebuilt after the war, some several times in their service life. Some have import marks--Blue sky being the least desireable as they sometimes elongated the barrel with their "stamp from hell". CMP recently released thousands that were returned from loans to other countries and may have rebuilds or modifications not native to US requirements. Get the carbine and shoot it, they are more fun than even a .22, no recoil, enough noise to say " I am shooting a .30 caliber" and short range accuracy.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Doc, i have collected Carbines since my first DCM rifle in 1963/4 ? There are so many questions about them that require research material, General Motors could mean several divisions of the company that produced Carbines somewhat independently. Most carbines were rebuilt after the war, some several times in their service life. Some have import marks--Blue sky being the least desireable as they sometimes elongated the barrel with their "stamp from hell". CMP recently released thousands that were returned from loans to other countries and may have rebuilds or modifications not native to US requirements. Get the carbine and shoot it, they are more fun than even a .22, no recoil, enough noise to say " I am shooting a .30 caliber" and short range accuracy.
Where would I look for import marks? There was nothing below the General Motors mark on the barrel. Is there anything specifically that I should look for in the way of non-native mods / rebuilds? Based on the remainder of the collection in the estate, my guess is that it is an older purchase. While there are a few newer firearms, there is nothing that appeared to be of recent vintage. No polymer / black guns to be seen. Plenty of old shotguns and rifles. The "newest" appearing gun was actually a Thompson Center blackpowder muzzle loader.

I based my belief that the price, $400.00, was a good one by looking at various sources online. Now I'm wondering, but it still seems like a good price for a shooter.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #16
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10998 Times on 4764 Posts
Likes Given: 1806

$400 ?????? And it is a US Military issue- not civilian lookalike?

Stuff money in pocket of seller. Grab carbine. Run home like a crazed squirrel. Lock door. Giggle insanely.
People Like This 
Old 04-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #17

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

$400 is a deal on a military issue M1. This site has a lot of information on all types of milsurp rifles and pistols.

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php
DocWard Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Where would I look for import marks? There was nothing below the General Motors mark on the barrel. Is there anything specifically that I should look for in the way of non-native mods / rebuilds? Based on the remainder of the collection in the estate, my guess is that it is an older purchase. While there are a few newer firearms, there is nothing that appeared to be of recent vintage. No polymer / black guns to be seen. Plenty of old shotguns and rifles. The "newest" appearing gun was actually a Thompson Center blackpowder muzzle loader.

I based my belief that the price, $400.00, was a good one by looking at various sources online. Now I'm wondering, but it still seems like a good price for a shooter.
At 400 buy it if the stock isnt cracked. Its a good deal even if the barrel is shot out and it doesnt headspace right
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

DocWard Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I will look at it again this afternoon. I don't recall seeing any flaws in the stock, other than the expected dents and dings.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Stocks run anywhere from 200-400 depending on condition recievers run around 230-300.

So its a smoking deal if its a complete gun with a usable stock and a reciever. Everything else is gravy.

Worst case you need a barrel and springs and maybe a few minor parts

If you can get good closeup pics of the action it would help