M1 Carbine Information?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

M1 Carbine Information?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default M1 Carbine Information?

I have an opportunity to purchase an M1 Carbine for what I consider to be a good price. It has the General Motors stamp just behind the front sight. I'm far from expert, but it appears to be in what I would call Good / Very Good Condition. As I recall, it has the bayonet lug on it.

What other things should I be looking at / for on it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
I have an opportunity to purchase an M1 Carbine for what I consider to be a good price. It has the General Motors stamp just behind the front sight. I'm far from expert, but it appears to be in what I would call Very Good Condition. As I recall, it has the bayonet lug on it.

What other things should I be looking at / for on it?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Good condition, good price, so what is the question?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #3

Liked 2483 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Many carbines are built out of a pile of parts. That's not an entirely bad thing if you are just looking for a shooter, but it can have an effect on value as a collector piece.

Had a parts carbine that was fun to shoot. Never had a collectors piece.
DocWard Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Good condition, good price, so what is the question?
Welllll..... As I indicated, I'm not really an expert, especially when it comes to the M1 Carbine, so, as I asked, are there other things I need to be looking at or for? Specifically, are there things inherent to the model that make it more or less valuable, things that should be checked to make sure it functions properly and safely, etc...

Old 04-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Look for counter boring. Counterboring doesn't mean its a bad gun but its a sign of excessive wear and the throat and headspace should be checked.

Headspace on any unknown m1 carbine should be checked before firing as lots of folks just toss these things together from random parts. Even if great uncle billybob says he got from his granddad who fought his way through the jungles of saudi arabia against the forces of the kaiser on the russian front next to vaisily zaitsev as his spotter on iwo jima...

M1 carbines are based solely on condition. Counter boring loose fitting parts mismatched finish colors are all signs of poor condition.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
DocWard Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Many carbines are built out of a pile of parts. That's not an entirely bad thing if you are just looking for a shooter, but it can have an effect on value as a collector piece.

Had a parts carbine that was fun to shoot. Never had a collectors piece.
Well, if I buy it, which I do plan to do, it will be shot, assuming I can find ammunition for it.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #7

Liked 2483 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 568

If you get a good functioning gun for a fair price, then it's pretty easy to get you money back out of it if you ever sell it.
DocWard Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

There are some outfits like fulton armory that will rehab a m1 and send it back looking as if it was issued yesterday
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
DocWard Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 02:06 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Look for counter boring. Counterboring doesn't mean its a bad gun but its a sign of excessive wear and the throat and headspace should be checked.

Headspace on any unknown m1 carbine should be checked before firing as lots of folks just toss these things together from random parts. Even if great uncle billybob says he got from his granddad who fought his way through the jungles of saudi arabia against the forces of the kaiser on the russian front next to vaisily zaitsev as his spotter on iwo jima...

M1 carbines are based solely on condition. Counter boring loose fitting parts mismatched finish colors are all signs of poor condition.
I think that helps. This one is from an estate. I can't speak to its history. It was owned by a WWII vet, but I am assuming he picked it up somewhat later.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
Welllll..... As I indicated, I'm not really an expert, especially when it comes to the M1 Carbine, so, as I asked, are there other things I need to be looking at or for? Specifically, are there things inherent to the model that make it more or less valuable, things that should be checked to make sure it functions properly and safely, etc...
If it does have the bayonet lug it will probably lower the value as these tend to be later produced or Korean War refurbished models

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk