Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   M1 Carbine Information? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/m1-carbine-information-106254/)

DocWard 04-17-2014 02:54 AM

M1 Carbine Information?

I have an opportunity to purchase an M1 Carbine for what I consider to be a good price. It has the General Motors stamp just behind the front sight. I'm far from expert, but it appears to be in what I would call Good / Very Good Condition. As I recall, it has the bayonet lug on it.

What other things should I be looking at / for on it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Pasquanel 04-17-2014 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWard (Post 1560298)
I have an opportunity to purchase an M1 Carbine for what I consider to be a good price. It has the General Motors stamp just behind the front sight. I'm far from expert, but it appears to be in what I would call Very Good Condition. As I recall, it has the bayonet lug on it.

What other things should I be looking at / for on it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Good condition, good price, so what is the question?

SSGN_Doc 04-17-2014 02:59 AM

Many carbines are built out of a pile of parts. That's not an entirely bad thing if you are just looking for a shooter, but it can have an effect on value as a collector piece.

Had a parts carbine that was fun to shoot. Never had a collectors piece.

DocWard 04-17-2014 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasquanel (Post 1560299)
Good condition, good price, so what is the question?

Welllll..... As I indicated, I'm not really an expert, especially when it comes to the M1 Carbine, so, as I asked, are there other things I need to be looking at or for? Specifically, are there things inherent to the model that make it more or less valuable, things that should be checked to make sure it functions properly and safely, etc...

JonM 04-17-2014 03:01 AM

Look for counter boring. Counterboring doesn't mean its a bad gun but its a sign of excessive wear and the throat and headspace should be checked.

Headspace on any unknown m1 carbine should be checked before firing as lots of folks just toss these things together from random parts. Even if great uncle billybob says he got from his granddad who fought his way through the jungles of saudi arabia against the forces of the kaiser on the russian front next to vaisily zaitsev as his spotter on iwo jima...

M1 carbines are based solely on condition. Counter boring loose fitting parts mismatched finish colors are all signs of poor condition.

DocWard 04-17-2014 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1560300)
Many carbines are built out of a pile of parts. That's not an entirely bad thing if you are just looking for a shooter, but it can have an effect on value as a collector piece.

Had a parts carbine that was fun to shoot. Never had a collectors piece.

Well, if I buy it, which I do plan to do, it will be shot, assuming I can find ammunition for it.

SSGN_Doc 04-17-2014 03:04 AM

If you get a good functioning gun for a fair price, then it's pretty easy to get you money back out of it if you ever sell it.

JonM 04-17-2014 03:05 AM

There are some outfits like fulton armory that will rehab a m1 and send it back looking as if it was issued yesterday

DocWard 04-17-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1560304)
Look for counter boring. Counterboring doesn't mean its a bad gun but its a sign of excessive wear and the throat and headspace should be checked.

Headspace on any unknown m1 carbine should be checked before firing as lots of folks just toss these things together from random parts. Even if great uncle billybob says he got from his granddad who fought his way through the jungles of saudi arabia against the forces of the kaiser on the russian front next to vaisily zaitsev as his spotter on iwo jima...

M1 carbines are based solely on condition. Counter boring loose fitting parts mismatched finish colors are all signs of poor condition.

I think that helps. This one is from an estate. I can't speak to its history. It was owned by a WWII vet, but I am assuming he picked it up somewhat later.

Egreen96 04-17-2014 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWard (Post 1560302)
Welllll..... As I indicated, I'm not really an expert, especially when it comes to the M1 Carbine, so, as I asked, are there other things I need to be looking at or for? Specifically, are there things inherent to the model that make it more or less valuable, things that should be checked to make sure it functions properly and safely, etc...

If it does have the bayonet lug it will probably lower the value as these tend to be later produced or Korean War refurbished models

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk