Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 17

Default M1 Carbine

I have decided to buy a M1 Carbine. What is a good price for a used rifle, preferably Universal. Doesn't need matching serial numbers, just needs to shoot. Also, cosmetic appearance is not a factor when it comes to the wood. Will consider other notable brands such as Inland as well.

PS Is $150 a good price for 250 rounds of .30 cal carbine ammo?

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

.30 Carbine ammo has gotten pretty expensive nowadays. Thirty five to fifty cents a round seems to be pretty standard, depending on quality.

Good quality M1 Carbines are available from CMP at a reasonable price. You'll definitely pay more in a shop. Then again, you may get lucky and find a cheap private deal.

Inland was a division of General Motors and produced the majority of M1 Carbines. Saginaw, Rock-Ola, National Postal Meter and Winchester produced them as well. Winchester was the only actual firearms manufacturer that produced them.

Inland's, because there are more, are generally less expensive than the others.

Do yourself a favor and buy a USGI carbine. There's tons of replacement parts out there for them. Universal is okay, but you can't use GI parts in them, so that can be an issue. Although Universals sell for less.

Keep us informed how you do on your quest.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

.30 CARBINE FEDERAL 110GR. FMJ $199 for case of 500
.30 CARBINE 110 GRAIN WOLF FMJ $299 for case of 1,000

Shop around

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #4

I'll take your suggestion on the USGI. Shelling out a few more dollars for a better gun isn't an issue. My car is going on a cruise to the carribean. The ammo in question was Remington UMC .30 cal carbine ammo from cabelas.

Does it cost more with a folding stock or with a solid stock? Does a folding stock affect shooting?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

They aren't very comfortable unless you really want and need the smaller size. An M1 carbine is pretty hand sized already. Of course if you're planning on jumping into Armhem, it would be more convenient.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-17-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #6

Armhein????? I think you might have ment Arnhem, a small town in Holland. Operation Market Garden anyone?

Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
I'll take your suggestion on the USGI. Shelling out a few more dollars for a better gun isn't an issue. My car is going on a cruise to the carribean. The ammo in question was Remington UMC .30 cal carbine ammo from cabelas.

Does it cost more with a folding stock or with a solid stock? Does a folding stock affect shooting?
You are planning on using it for a boat defense rifle in the Carribean? I would recommend a more powerful, more accurate rifle for such duty. Pirates do not respect the power of the .30 Carbine. At a minimum, I would say an AR-15 with at least 10-15 30 rd mags. Preferred would be a 7.62 NATO battle rifle like an M-14/M-1A, HK-91/CETME, FNFAL or AR-10 not necessarily in that order. 20 loaded 20rd mags minimum.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Armhein????? I think you might have ment Arnhem, a small town in Holland. Operation Market Garden anyone?
I fixed it.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You are planning on using it for a boat defense rifle in the Carribean? I would recommend a more powerful, more accurate rifle for such duty. Pirates do not respect the power of the .30 Carbine. At a minimum, I would say an AR-15 with at least 10-15 30 rd mags. Preferred would be a 7.62 NATO battle rifle like an M-14/M-1A, HK-91/CETME, FNFAL or AR-10 not necessarily in that order. 20 loaded 20rd mags minimum.
Robo, what I meant was, this money was going to pay for a car, but was... donated to finance a cruise my family is taking. So now, I can buy an M1 carbine. If I'm pirate hunting I'll bring along a 7.62. Not a big fan of the CETME, but an AR-10 would probably get the job done. I'll post on that as well when I get back .

As for the carbine, I am seriously considering the CMP deals now, due to the fact that gunbroker and gunsamerica's prices weren't too encouraging. After a check of the local gun shops, CMP it will be.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I forgot, IBM made M1 carbines too.