Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   M1 Carbine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/m1-carbine-18149/)

easterner123 09-17-2009 01:07 AM

M1 Carbine
 
I have decided to buy a M1 Carbine. What is a good price for a used rifle, preferably Universal. Doesn't need matching serial numbers, just needs to shoot. Also, cosmetic appearance is not a factor when it comes to the wood. Will consider other notable brands such as Inland as well.

PS Is $150 a good price for 250 rounds of .30 cal carbine ammo?

CA357 09-17-2009 01:19 AM

.30 Carbine ammo has gotten pretty expensive nowadays. Thirty five to fifty cents a round seems to be pretty standard, depending on quality.

Good quality M1 Carbines are available from CMP at a reasonable price. You'll definitely pay more in a shop. Then again, you may get lucky and find a cheap private deal.

Inland was a division of General Motors and produced the majority of M1 Carbines. Saginaw, Rock-Ola, National Postal Meter and Winchester produced them as well. Winchester was the only actual firearms manufacturer that produced them.

Inland's, because there are more, are generally less expensive than the others.

Do yourself a favor and buy a USGI carbine. There's tons of replacement parts out there for them. Universal is okay, but you can't use GI parts in them, so that can be an issue. Although Universals sell for less.

Keep us informed how you do on your quest.

canebrake 09-17-2009 01:25 AM

.30 CARBINE FEDERAL 110GR. FMJ $199 for case of 500
.30 CARBINE 110 GRAIN WOLF FMJ $299 for case of 1,000

Shop around

easterner123 09-17-2009 01:30 AM

I'll take your suggestion on the USGI. Shelling out a few more dollars for a better gun isn't an issue. My car is going on a cruise to the carribean. The ammo in question was Remington UMC .30 cal carbine ammo from cabelas.

Does it cost more with a folding stock or with a solid stock? Does a folding stock affect shooting?

CA357 09-17-2009 02:52 AM

They aren't very comfortable unless you really want and need the smaller size. An M1 carbine is pretty hand sized already. Of course if you're planning on jumping into Armhem, it would be more convenient. ;)

chucksolo69 09-17-2009 02:26 PM

Armhein????? I think you might have ment Arnhem, a small town in Holland. Operation Market Garden anyone?

robocop10mm 09-17-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easterner123 (Post 160848)
I'll take your suggestion on the USGI. Shelling out a few more dollars for a better gun isn't an issue. My car is going on a cruise to the carribean. The ammo in question was Remington UMC .30 cal carbine ammo from cabelas.

Does it cost more with a folding stock or with a solid stock? Does a folding stock affect shooting?

You are planning on using it for a boat defense rifle in the Carribean? I would recommend a more powerful, more accurate rifle for such duty. Pirates do not respect the power of the .30 Carbine. At a minimum, I would say an AR-15 with at least 10-15 30 rd mags. Preferred would be a 7.62 NATO battle rifle like an M-14/M-1A, HK-91/CETME, FNFAL or AR-10 not necessarily in that order. 20 loaded 20rd mags minimum.

CA357 09-17-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucksolo69 (Post 161081)
Armhein????? I think you might have ment Arnhem, a small town in Holland. Operation Market Garden anyone?

I fixed it. ;)

easterner123 09-19-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 161111)
You are planning on using it for a boat defense rifle in the Carribean? I would recommend a more powerful, more accurate rifle for such duty. Pirates do not respect the power of the .30 Carbine. At a minimum, I would say an AR-15 with at least 10-15 30 rd mags. Preferred would be a 7.62 NATO battle rifle like an M-14/M-1A, HK-91/CETME, FNFAL or AR-10 not necessarily in that order. 20 loaded 20rd mags minimum.

Robo, what I meant was, this money was going to pay for a car, but was... donated to finance a cruise my family is taking. So now, I can buy an M1 carbine. If I'm pirate hunting I'll bring along a 7.62. Not a big fan of the CETME, but an AR-10 would probably get the job done. I'll post on that as well when I get back :D.

As for the carbine, I am seriously considering the CMP deals now, due to the fact that gunbroker and gunsamerica's prices weren't too encouraging. After a check of the local gun shops, CMP it will be.

CA357 09-19-2009 01:55 AM

I forgot, IBM made M1 carbines too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.