M1 carbine ???
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1 carbine ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default M1 carbine ???

I recently attended a gun show and noticed there were several M1 carbines available from fair to poor shape and also there seemed to be a number or brands. My question is are all the same just different Mfg. and are parts interchangeable? Which Mfg. made a better weapon? THANKS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm no expert, but this is what I know;
If they are USGI models, then parts are interchangeable. They were manufactured under contract by various companies and they had to be up to certain standards and tolerances. That's why so many have parts from different manufacturers. It's very hard to find one that wasn't rebuilt with whatever parts were at hand. Many are "mixmasters".

Winchester was the only actual firearms company than made them. As far as value, others here know much more than me, but they keep rising in value. Ammunition prices continue to rise and so has the price of .30 carbine.

They're a stout and handy little carbine. They're pleasant to shoot and have mild to nonexistent recoil. Parts are readily available and still reasonably priced.

I had an Inland that was outstanding and I sold it for a profit. A decision I regret on a regular basis.

Get one.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, get one before CAs avatar bans them!

The CMP still has some available, and they check them out and test fire before selling.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3353 Times on 1736 Posts
Likes Given: 353

Pretty much any M-1 carbine is the same (mechanically) as the next one with the exception of the Universal brand. They are unique and almost no parts interchange.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Pretty much any M-1 carbine is the same (mechanically) as the next one with the exception of the Universal brand. They are unique and almost no parts interchange.
Both Auto-Ordnance and Universal are civilian makers of a COPY. USGI parts are NOT interchangeable with either of these makes. You can get a Universal for $400, but apart from fun to shoot, it has no real value.

Spend a few hundred more to get a TRUE M1 carbine.

If you can, have the owner strip it down and look at EVERY part; they should all be marked with the manufacturer (there were 11 of them).

Price range of $600-800 is typical for a good condition WWII M1 carbine. Fun to shoot, good for beginners, but they WILL NOT hold zero. With the separate receiver and recoil plate, there's just too much movement to hold zero. I did hear about a guy during initial testing who welded the two and was able to hold zero for a long period. Why they didn't require this was probably due to the cost of milling a receiver with the recoil plate. Easier to mill separately and combine. Never meant to be a long-range shooter, so not that big a deal for most.

With eleven different makers, quality had to be very high, as the makers would often swap parts to build a gun. And when it was clear we were going to win, production was halted and all the parts used to build as many remaining guns from those parts as possible.

The same happened with the Garands; late-war/post-war mash-ups. In fact, all the M1 Garand "Tanker" rifles are post-war builds. That was NEVER an approved model (though the design was tested). Lots of people get scammed with the "Tanker" Garands.

It takes only a screwdriver to field-strip it (or a bayonet edge, by design), and just a few minutes to separate the receiver from the stock, and the trigger assembly from the receiver. You use the slide guide rod to help tear down the trigger assembly! Again, this was by design. You can see many of the maker's marks that way.

I'd suggest buying "The M1 Carbine Owner's Guide" By Scott Duff. it has ALL the info you'll need to find a good shooter. Well worth the price of the book for all the info.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly45 View Post
I recently attended a gun show and noticed there were several M1 carbines available from fair to poor shape and also there seemed to be a number or brands. My question is are all the same just different Mfg. and are parts interchangeable? Which Mfg. made a better weapon? THANKS
For the most part they are the same. Also, many of them can swap out parts with eachother (interchangeable), but not all of them can do this. My best advice would be to just do a bit of research on the brand(s) that you are interested in before you purchase an M4.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

If you are nearby to Anniston Alabama I have no problem with helping you get one if you don't have time for the CMP certification to buy one from there.

I can physically go and inspect a rifle and get one for you from the surplus. Most of the inlands have HORRIBLE stocks but a coat of finish will be fine....I'm partial to the IBM versions myself.

It was going to be my first rifle...but I decided against it because ammo was to expensive...and settled on an SKS instead.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #8

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The M1 carbine is a handsome little rifle. As a practical rifle, consider it just a center fire .22 in terms of usability. Maybe for groundhogs out your back window.

Bob Wright

Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I had a delightfully eccentric friend (near genius though: PhD in Physics AND law degree) who used to carry a GI M-1 Carbine in his golf bag with a little sock over the barrel. He called it his 30 Iron!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #10

Bob Wright:
Your message space is full.
Live 'there' also and am seeking cheap .303 ammo if you can e-mail me with any tips, assuming that my link works.
Also have a note card on real bulletin board at MSSA. Thanks.

Will furnish phone numbers.