Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M&p 15/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjonny View Post
So Is the m&p 15. The same as the 15-22? Does anyone have both?
The more I handles my wife's the more I want an AR. (I have been desiring a AK first) Does anyone recommend the .223 model?
The 15-22 is primarily composite. No one expects any problems with composites for 22lr. The design and dimensions are pretty standard AR.

The M&P 15 is a true AR's and come in a large selection of configurations.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjonny View Post
So Is the m&p 15. The same as the 15-22? Does anyone have both?
The more I handles my wife's the more I want an AR. (I have been desiring a AK first) Does anyone recommend the .223 model?
I have both.

I purchased the S&W M&P15-Tactical, it is what the 15-22 was designed after, as far as the quad rail and flattop. I had always knew I wanted to eventually assemble an AR15, but when Sandy Hook happened I purchased the M&P15-T the same day, as I knew what was going to happen and that there was a chance that at worst an assault weapons ban was going to happen and at the very least there would be really short supply for the next year or so. I had been researching AR's for parts before all that happened, but thought that the S&W was about the best deal for what you got. I paid $999 for it and was happy to get it ahead of all the panic.

What I felt pushed the S&W above the other store models was the 5R rifling, 1:8 twist and the melonite barrel. I knew that I wanted a quad rail as well so it was a perfect package for my desires. The 5R rifling is the same rifling that the Remington 700's use, and they have had great results with it. I think the 1:8 twist is a persons best bang for the buck if only to have one AR as it can stabilize the widest range of bullet grains.

A really good deal on a base level AR, WAS the S&W Sport model as it had the same barrel that my Tactical has, which I think is a really great barrel. I said WAS because I heard that S&W changed the barrel on the Sport recently and now it is a 1:9 twist, without the 5R rifling. One thing to know about the S&W Sport model is that it doesn't come with a bolt dust cover, or the forward assist.

I don't think you will be disappointed with an S&W AR, however, I would recommend you assemble one (now that all the panic has stopped on AR parts), if you don't think you could assemble one maybe someone you know has the knowledge to help you out, or maybe you could build one with the help of many tutorials that are on the web. A few good companies I would recommend for parts are: Palmetto State Armory, Spikes and Bravo Company.

Last edited by FishinLuke; 11-30-2013 at 02:40 PM.