Lucky at Range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lucky at Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Lucky at Range

Lucky in being at range last Friday with a gent who'd wanted a "custom mauser" and had a local gunsmith with a decent reputation, build one for him in 25-06 about 8 months ago. Gunsmith did more than his share of work with mausers over the years and he'd told me sometime ago, he didn't want to work with mauser actions anymore....that you just can't get the accuracy out of them that people expect these days. Had been in his shop one day, when he turned down a job with a mauser action, saying I don't want to work with mausers anymore. Gunsmith had a darn fine collection of quality metal working equipment, could and did make his own actions for example. So, was surprised the gunsmith built the "custom mauser" action rifle with a Steyr 98 action for the guy.

Anyway, this gunsmith had built a 25-06 for my fellow range member about 8 months ago. After 200 rounds downrange with the rifle, shooting various factory ammunition and his own 25-06 reloads, about the best 100 yd group he'd shot was something around 2 1/2". It started out shooting 3 to 4" 100 yd groups. Rifle went back to the gunsmith a couple of times and he tinkered with it....had another gunsmith look at it. Neither could solve the accuracy problem with the rifle and the rifle owner gave up on the rifle. Gent was used to shooting around 1/2" to 3/4" groups with his other rifles that he used for hunting.

So, when I crossed paths with the gent at range last Friday, casually asked him if he ever got the 25-06 mauser to shoot. Leaving out the colorful words he said about the rifle, the answer was NO! He knew I had a number of rifles built on mauser actions and asked me if I was interested in buying it. Knew he had over $600 invested in the rifle and told him sorry, that any offer I'd care to make would be an insult. His response was, well, would you pay me $200.

I bought the rifle and am now in process of trying to solve problem of its inaccuracy. Own another 25-06, so reload for it. Have fixed some things I didn't like about the rifle since I've brought it home, but weather here has been bad, so no range time with it yet.

I have an unused Shilen 6mm barrel that's already threaded for a Large Ring Mauser. For two hundred dollars, think got a good deal just on the Steyr action in the rifle, considering its condition, bolt turned, cerracoated and etc. If nothing else, will have the 6mm barrel installed and chambered in 6mm Remington, a cartridge I prefer over the 243 and already reload for.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9405 Times on 4054 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Would check leade, crown, barrel bedding, along with snug screws- after that, you're on your own- but there is no reason that a 25-06 with a good barrel would not be a tackdriver. The 6mm DOES sound promising, but that 06 is not a slouch either.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Sorry Big Blue, no pics. Its not a fancy custom mauser. Imagine a Ramline plastic stock made for LR mauser and all the metal ceracoated grey to match color of the stock. Has a 24" barrel that's 5/8" diameter at the muzzle. Owner couldn't remember name of barrel maker.

C3shooter, crown looks good, but thought the bedding job done on it needed redoing and have just finished correcting what I thought was wrong with the bedding. Hard to imagine the gunsmith didn't replace the military trigger in the action.....the sears in it hadn't been touched, so polished up the sears using a very old Arkansas hard stone that my dad may have used to sharpen a flat straight edge blade razor (I'm 67) Trigger pull wasn't bad for a military trigger, but its nicer now. Didn't like the contact wear on the bolt lugs, one had very very little contact wear while the other did.....so did some light lug lapping. Probably need to do more, but will wait till I shoot it some.....darn weather.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6341 Times on 3545 Posts
Likes Given: 5919

Put a target (recessed) crown and put it in a nice Bell and Carlson stock. You should have a tackdriver.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 596

If you haven't checked it yet,make sure the barrel isn't copper fouled. Sometimes,the simplest things go overlooked on a newly built rifle,and some new barrels copper foul in just a few shots. That will wreak havoc on your groups.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

robocop10mm Likes This 
Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Txhillbilly, thanks for the tip. Gave the bore a cleaning when I got home with the rifle. Yea, there was some copper in the bore, but not enough to be the problem. Guy I bought the rifle from, not a novice when it comes to rifles, shooting and there care.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2949 Times on 1536 Posts
Likes Given: 263

+1 on the fouling. Plug the breech and fill the barrel with Shooter's Choice bore solvent or Sweets 762. Let is sit for a week and then clean it. You may be amazed at the amount of fouling that is in there. I had a friend with a 6mm Rem that normally shot one hole groups. It started shooting clover leafs (he was not happy with that). Shooter's Choice solved the problem.

I have never seen a .25-06 that did not shoot amazingly well. My Remington 700 ADL shoot ANYTHING into 1/4" or so

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I picked up an Arisaka at a local range that had been sporterized and had this plastic stock complete with a bipod ::tacticool::
Got it for $75 because the PO was frustrated with its inconsistency on paper. I cleaned it up and took it back to the range, and it shot horribly. At 100 yards it was in the 3" group range with some 5" randoms.

I could not, for the life of me, figure out its issue. I took it to a Smith to see if it was worth working with. He was appalled at the stock. Offered me an original stock he had laying around for $50.
Back to the range I went. I could not believe the difference it made. The smith mentioned something about harmonics because the plastic stock was very short at the forend vs the long original setup.
I kept the rifle around for a while and eventually traded it away for a custom stock job on another rifle.

Moral of the story.... could it be the stock it has?

Sent from my Z750C using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #9

Update on the rifle.

Redid the bedding and some other minor work on stock inletting. Minor work on the military trigger in the rifle. Recrowned the barrel.

Depending on my load/powder/bullet, have been able to shoot 1" or less 100 yd groups with the rifle. Irritating that with a 4 shot group, I can have 2 sets of cloverleafs about an 1" apart.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Do you have a torque wrench in Inch/Lbs ?
It could be as simple as getting the action bolts torqued right. On a bedded action the torque setting of the action screws can have strange effects on how the rifle shoots groups sometimes.
Most should be 30-35 inch lbs.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club