Looking at two used 788's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking at two used 788's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at two used 788's

Hi!

I'm going to look at two used 788's today, One in .308 and one in 22-250.
Asking price is $375 for the .308 and $350 for the 22-250. Owner says he's firm on the prices.

Bluing is 90% with a few scratches and gouges on the wood stock's. It appears the .308 is in slightly better condition than the 22-250.
I've looked at 788 prices quite a bit and these seem reasonable to me.

I'll look at them and decide. If it is "honest wear" and the bore's are in good shape are they worth it? Can't afford them both so am interested in the 22-250 since I already have enough deer rifles.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #2

The prices seem reasonable for these. The 788 was the last good cheap rifle that Remington made. The stories abound that Remington discontinued them as they were cutting into 700 sales, true or not, they could hold their own. They had the reputation that Savage enjoys today, accurate and cheap. I had one in 222 and it was a great rifle. My brother still has his in 6mm and a buddy has his in 7mm-08. Still kick myself for letting it go.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

There is something of a cult following of the 788's. They have attained sort of collector status. I know several guys that have multiple 788's. They are trying to get "one of each caliber". I hear the 22-250's were pretty accurate.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've owned a few and still have one in .308. They are great rifles, BUT they are prone to having the bolt handles break off. New bolts are no longer available, but Wiseners can reweld them if they break. It is not a job for a half trained monkey.

Check carefully around the area where the handle attaches to the bolt body. Look for any signs of cracking.

The 788's shoot great, and carry well. I would buy more of them for the right price.

Is the .308 the carbine or the rifle?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the input guys!!

I just got back and the 22-250 came back with me. It was in far better condition than the .308 and slightly cheaper. I just couldn't leave without it even though my bank account suggested otherwise.

Its very clean. the blueing is excellent. Stock is a little banged up at the bottom near the butt and a few dings here and there but otherwise in great shape!

I was really excited to pick it up. I'll post photos this evening.

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default 788 tack driver

I had a 788 22-250 with a bull barrel that my first wife got custody of when we divorced. That thing had a weaver 4 power scope and would shoot dime sized groups all day long. I've missed for 23 years and recently replaced it with a Savage 12 22-250 bull barrel. I would still trade for the 788 but if I got along with her that well we would probably still be together. I'd really like to have that gun back but she will never know it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #7

Congrats on your new companion!

I dug out a pic of my 788. This was my first center fire rifle. My 16th birthday gift from the man who raised me (the best step father on the planet).

It started as a 22" .308 Rifle, series 1.
Later on I had it cut to 17" and had a first generation SEI Vortex threaded on.
Then I trimmed the stock down, removed the "Monte Carlo" cheekrest, flush fit the bottom metal, tapered the stock to a slightly European style, had a custom Ashley Express rear sight fitted to it and painted the hardwood stock with Aluma Hyde 2 epoxy based paint.

It is a very cool little brush gun now. It did require that the broken off bolt handle be re-attached a few years ago, but has been good to go ever since.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #8

Buy them !!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #9

Nice work M14sRock!! I have not seen finish like that!

I did buy the 22-250 TexasPatriot.308. These guns are commanding rediculously high prices. I love 788's but they are no way worth the money being asked. I picked one up in a gun shop two years ago in .243 and instantly fell in love. Knew nothing about them at the time but loved the feel!!

Simple, but very functional. If you find one at a reasonable price grap it but don't pay rediculous prices ($400-$500). People willing to pay these prices are simply driving prices up!!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglemfar View Post
Nice work M14sRock!! I have not seen finish like that!

I did buy the 22-250 TexasPatriot.308. These guns are commanding rediculously high prices. I love 788's but they are no way worth the money being asked. I picked one up in a gun shop two years ago in .243 and instantly fell in love. Knew nothing about them at the time but loved the feel!!

Simple, but very functional. If you find one at a reasonable price grap it but don't pay rediculous prices ($400-$500). People willing to pay these prices are simply driving prices up!!
Thanks! The bolt is done with OD Green Brownells Gun Kote bake on paint, but the rest is just Aluma Hyde2.

I love the 788's but the bolt breakage is a pain.