Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ...looking for some insight on a first hunting rifle please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ...looking for some insight on a first hunting rifle please.

Hey everybody,

My friends go hunting often. I have never been much of a hunter myself. Both because I couldn't have guns in the house, and because I never had the opportunity to hunt anything bigger than deer. I am not a huge venison fan. It is okay. I went to an NFL draft party last year...that I attend annually. One of the guys brought some moose that he got himself, up in Maine. It was the best thing I have ever tasted, and I have been invited to tag along on his future trips......so I have some learning to do, I guess. There is also a great place up around the corner from where we go camping every year that offers guided mosse and black bear hunts. Maybe a good place to learn a little bit, and have a good time. I just love being up there. Anyway, I was hoping to pick up an affordable hunting rifle. I want it to be composite, and probably bolt action. I would also like it to be fairly versatile, and be able to take down larger size game. I am not a big game hunter, nor will I ever be taking down grizzlies at 500 yds or anything ridiculous like that. So take it easy on me will ya. In Rhode Island we cannot use rifles at all. A Rhode Island deer rifle is a slug gun with a scope, so an actual rifle will be used primarily for larger game up north. I want to be able to take down all deer size game up to moose size game at anywhere from 200-300 yds maximum. I was looking at 7mm Rem Mag. I was thinking maybe a Savage 110 in a 7mm Rem Mag looks like a capable rifle and a good price. I have heard good things about the round and the rifles, but I do not have my heart set on either. I was hoping you all could help put me on the right track. Any input you are willing to give me would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

"Liberty cannot be caged into a charter and handed on ready-made to the next generation. Each generation must recreate liberty for its own times. Whether or not we establish freedom rests with ourselves."

- Florence Ellinwood Allen -

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2010, 03:21 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're on the right track. You don't need a magnum to kill moose/black bear at reasonable distance. I'd suggest a 30-06 in either a Savage or a Marlin XL-7. You can get the Marlin for about 300$. Top it with a decent 3x-9x (150-200$), load it with good tough 180gr bullet loads and you're ready to go.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

2X what bear said.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #4

thanks guys. I found a savage 110 7mm Rem Mag with a bushnell 3x9 scope and camo synthetic stock for about $400. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It is slightly used, but it is in great shape. I will look at some 30-06 too, and see what I can find. Thanks again.

"Liberty cannot be caged into a charter and handed on ready-made to the next generation. Each generation must recreate liberty for its own times. Whether or not we establish freedom rests with ourselves."

- Florence Ellinwood Allen -

Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murfdeezy View Post
thanks guys. I found a savage 110 7mm Rem Mag with a bushnell 3x9 scope and camo synthetic stock for about $400. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It is slightly used, but it is in great shape. I will look at some 30-06 too, and see what I can find. Thanks again.
A 7mm Rem Mag is a good choice, although 30-06, 308, 280, etc. are also fine. The most important thing is to shoot the rifle a lot to become familiar with it. This includes shooting from field positions such as sitting, kneeling and standing. A little bit of practice makes a big difference. The practice will increase your confidence level.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murfdeezy View Post
I think that combo you found (7mm/Bushnell scope) will get the job done and an affordable price.
If it is possible, I might suggest shooting any firearm before you purchase to make sure you like it.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I used a Savage110 7mm Rem Mag for years. Mine wears a Weaver V10. More important than the cartridge, is the bullet itself. 140gr will do the trick, but stay away from ballistic tips. JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.