Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a simple bolty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a simple bolty

So long story short I sold my Polytech m1a (yes I regret it but I did turn a profit and I had bills to pay).

I've reached the point in my life where I have to prioritize my spending habits. So I really want a cheap, reliable and accurate bolt action rifle. Something that I can find at a gun show possibly. Mostly going to be used for occasional hunting target shooting. I want to be able grow so comfortable with it that I can easily use it for an all purpose SHTF rifle.

I'm really liking the Mausers though.

Enfields seem nice, but I'm am concerned with ammo availability and they have gone up in price.

Mosin seem to suffer from inaccurate sights and ammo availability is also a concern.

I'm looking to spend less than $300

Last edited by Gergify; 10-16-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hard to beat a Savage 30 06.

Savage AXIS 3006 $276.00 SHIPS FREE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the Savage Axis .270 and paid $300, including scope. Great gun.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #4

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Are you looking at Surplus rifles? It seems so.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5241 Times on 2733 Posts
Likes Given: 329

savage are fantastic rifles. i love mine. sold my m1a and bought a savage 10 i dont regret it a bit.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #6

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergify View Post
So long story short I sold my Polytech m1a (yes I regret it but I did turn a profit and I had bills to pay).

I've reached the point in my life where I have to prioritize my spending habits. So I really want a cheap, reliable and accurate bolt action rifle. Something that I can find at a gun show possibly. Mostly going to be used for occasional hunting target shooting. I want to be able grow so comfortable with it that I can easily use it for an all purpose SHTF rifle.

Enfields seem nice, but I'm am concerned with ammo availability and they have gone up in price.

Mosin seem to suffer from inaccurate sights and ammo availability is also a concern.

For 300 bucks you should be able to get a crate of ammo (880 rounds) and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. It is every bit as accurate as the guy behind it. From my experience most of these will do 2 moa at 100 yards if it has a good bore and crown.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #7

Liked 1072 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergify View Post

Enfield ! Can you say 2A, cheap ammo.

When all else fails.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

Liked 316 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i bought a Savage Axis in .223 back in april, gun was $267 at walmart. Funny thing is regardless of caliber, all the Axis guns were priced the same.

I put a Bushnell 4-12x by 40 scope & i can put six 6 shots the size of a quarter on a target at 100 yards. great guns for the money

Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If you like to tinker with a firearm you can make a Mosin as accurate as most anything comparable. Ammo is as cheap as it gets. Dunhams+91/30 for $90, Aim surplus 440 round can about $90 to your door. Fun gun.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #10

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
For 300 bucks you should be able to get a crate of ammo (880 rounds) and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. It is every bit as accurate as the guy behind it. From my experience most of these will do 2 moa at 100 yards if it has a good bore and crown.
I second this.