looking for a rifle. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking for a rifle.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
Oh ok are they flimsy? The two I like the most are the m700 sps and the marlin xl7 but the marlins $200 cheapier
well the stocks on the SPS are the cheapest part of the rifle. many people buy them simply for the action and restock them with a better stock if wanting increase the accuracy. some and many simply shoot them the way they come out of the box.

i also found the forend to be just a little flimsy on the Marlin X7's as well. i modified mine and they work great. things i can fix myself and that i know i can fix to increase the accuracy are okay with me. i knew that with a sub $400 rifle it might have some minor things that needed tweeking. after all they aren't $2500 custom hunting rifles!

the Marlin X7 is a very good value in a rifle. i love mine and would put mine up against a M700, a Tikka a M70 or a M77 any day in terms of accuracy.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hernando,Ms
Posts: 97
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

the local Walmarts have the Mossberg ATR
with out scope for $199.

__________________
Drriley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 112
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Default

The savage stocks are flimsy but my uncle bought a 30 06 in the edge and it put three rounds through the same hole at 50 yards (longest range in our area). You could look into the accustock too. Its a bit finicky but once you get it dialed in ive read some great reveiws. The 700 is a great rifle as well very solid base to start with. Between the two I'd go savage but thats just me. -Stay far away from the 770. The barrel and receiver are a solid piece and once one is worn both are shot. Not to mention the rough/sticking bolts.-

__________________
E7018Dan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drriley View Post
the local Walmarts have the Mossberg ATR
with out scope for $199.
Are they any good? I've seen them but havnt thought of them.
__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
Are they any good? I've seen them but havnt thought of them.
i had a Mossberg ATR 100 in 30-06 a few years ago. now whether i suggest it for a recommendation for you would be it's intended use. if you want it for hunting, then yes it's a good choice and would work well for you. if you want it for extended usage or for target shooting, then no. the ATR 100's are some of the hardest recoiling rifles out there. i have owned many 30-06 rifles over the years and that one practicly would tear my shoulder off when shooting it. and i'm not shy about shooting larger bore heavy recoiling rifles as i have owned many over the years. when it's been discussed here with others, they have had the same experianceswith theirs as well.

now in it's favor, i worked up some really accurate loads and that rifle would shoot very, very small groups. so it was accurate, but very hard recoiling. i also worked with that rifle for close to a year before i traded it. i tried adding weight to the stock, glassbedding it, different powders in the loads to dampen it's recoil and nothing worked. but it was accurate!

so if you don't plan on lots of shooting, then i would recommend it, because it will put the bullet where you want it.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

i had a Mossberg ATR 100 in 30-06 a few years ago. now whether i suggest it for a recommendation for you would be it's intended use. if you want it for hunting, then yes it's a good choice and would work well for you. if you want it for extended usage or for target shooting, then no. the ATR 100's are some of the hardest recoiling rifles out there. i have owned many 30-06 rifles over the years and that one practicly would tear my shoulder off when shooting it. and i'm not shy about shooting larger bore heavy recoiling rifles as i have owned many over the years. when it's been discussed here with others, they have had the same experianceswith theirs as well.

now in it's favor, i worked up some really accurate loads and that rifle would shoot very, very small groups. so it was accurate, but very hard recoiling. i also worked with that rifle for close to a year before i traded it. i tried adding weight to the stock, glassbedding it, different powders in the loads to dampen it's recoil and nothing worked. but it was accurate!

so if you don't plan on lots of shooting, then i would recommend it, because it will put the bullet where you want it.
My cousin just bought one for $300 I'm guessing he over payed but were going shooting tomorow ill probly have to try it out I'm not against somthing with a heavy recoil as long as it puts the bullet on target. Can you get better stocks or recoil bads for them? He's never shot anything other then a 22 rifle so I'm sure it'll be rough on him.
__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
My cousin just bought one for $300 I'm guessing he over payed but were going shooting tomorow ill probly have to try it out I'm not against somthing with a heavy recoil as long as it puts the bullet on target. Can you get better stocks or recoil bads for them? He's never shot anything other then a 22 rifle so I'm sure it'll be rough on him.
depends on whether he bought it new or used. MSRP is about $360 for that rifle NIB. i paid $275 for mine several years ago in lightly used condition.

i even tried a different recoil pad. at the time i had mine, there just wasn't any aftermarket stocks available. there does seem to be some laminates becoming available now.

yes, he's definately in for a wake-up! the recoil on mine felt more like a 300 Win. Mag. i shot before. and if i'm going to have to deal with 300 W.M. recoil, then that's what i want, not a 30-06!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

depends on whether he bought it new or used. MSRP is about $360 for that rifle NIB. i paid $275 for mine several years ago in lightly used condition.

i even tried a different recoil pad. at the time i had mine, there just wasn't any aftermarket stocks available. there does seem to be some laminates becoming available now.

yes, he's definately in for a wake-up! the recoil on mine felt more like a 300 Win. Mag. i shot before. and if i'm going to have to deal with 300 W.M. recoil, then that's what i want, not a 30-06!
He bought it new. I just got back from walmart and the actually carry a Remington m700 7mm rem mag with scope for $417 i talked to the guy and they have a 30-06 in the back for that price id think id be stupid to get any other gun.
__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
He bought it new. I just got back from walmart and the actually carry a Remington m700 7mm rem mag with scope for $417 i talked to the guy and they have a 30-06 in the back for that price id think id be stupid to get any other gun.
nice price! jump on it. ditch the scope and buy a better one and use that one on something else. ditch the factory stock and go with the Boyd's laminate. i have used two of their laminated stocks and am very pleased with them and the prices are decent. here's a link to them.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=8347&cat=1223
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pdiddy2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I recently bought a Remington 700 30-06 and I could not be more happy. The quality control issues are more bs than realty. I did extensive research and I'm very happy. Shoots great and looks great.

__________________
Pdiddy2112 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best rifle for service rifle competition Sibil General Rifle Discussion 8 01-03-2013 07:07 PM
Best rifle for service rifle competition Sibil AR-15 Discussion 1 01-03-2013 04:47 PM
15 inch barrel, with rifle gas! almost rifle velocity, and i runs great Middleofthemiddle AR-15 Discussion 11 07-31-2012 11:55 PM
How to convert a rifle into a short barreled rifle legally Awesome NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 26 06-28-2012 07:00 PM
VZ58 rifle vs. SKS rifle differences? orangello AK & SKS Discussion 4 07-12-2011 02:58 AM