looking for a rifle.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking for a rifle.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default looking for a rifle.

Was on a budget for a cheap rifle but have decided ill spend more for a decent gun so I'm looking at a marlin xl7,remington 700, weatherby vanguard. All in 30-06 anyone have any input? Would also consider the ruger american but not at the top of my list.

__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cattledog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 1,459
Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Default

Just to throw in some more confusion, take a look at the savage edge. I only mention it because you used the word "cheap." But you did mention weatherby so I'm not sure how you're defining that. Savage probably has the best cost/reliability ratio on the rifle market.

Throw up a budget. Are you needing all weather? adjustable trigger?

__________________
Join the NRA Here!


"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
Cattledog is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Just to throw in some more confusion, take a look at the savage edge. I only mention it because you used the word "cheap." But you did mention weatherby so I'm not sure how you're defining that. Savage probably has the best cost/reliability ratio on the rifle market.

Throw up a budget. Are you needing all weather? adjustable trigger?
Trying to stay under 600. The savage axis is the only savage I've handled and I didn't like it felt cheap same reason I'm avoiding the rem 770. As far as weather I'm in florida. And adjustable trigger I'm assuming it dosnt matter because I could get used to anything I would think.
__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
Was on a budget for a cheap rifle but have decided ill spend more for a decent gun so I'm looking at a marlin xl7,remington 700, weatherby vanguard. All in 30-06 anyone have any input? Would also consider the ruger american but not at the top of my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
Trying to stay under 600. The savage axis is the only savage I've handled and I didn't like it felt cheap same reason I'm avoiding the rem 770. As far as weather I'm in florida. And adjustable trigger I'm assuming it dosnt matter because I could get used to anything I would think.
i have three Marlin X7's. all are top notch rifles, well made and very accurate. they have adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stocks and an excellent recoil pad. i have a XS7 in 7mm-08, a XL7C in 25-06 and a XS7VH in 308. IMO, one of the best values in rifles these days. not for sure what they are going for in this current market, but i feel you should be able to get one for $400 or less, if you shop around.

the Remington M700 SPS is probably going to be the only M700 in your price range, unless you luck into a really nice used one. i have several M700's and all are great rifles and accurate. good aftermarket support in regards to parts and accessories. lot of internet rumors floating around about Remington's quality slipping, but i wouldn't put much stock into it without seeing proof.

the Weatherby Vanguard is the same rifle as the Howa 1500 with a different stock. both are excellent rifles, well made and accurate. not for sure as to cost, but avery good option for you. most people that own either one are very pleased with them.

the Ruger American. i have held a couple so far. so far those that have bought them seem very pleased with them so far. still relatively a very new rifle on the market. personally, i just not liking it. this strictly personal preference and ergonomics for me just as it is for the Savage Axis. neither of these two rifles really fits me well. the Ruger just seems awkward and the Axis fel deleicat and more like a youth rifle. now the Axis's i have shot performed very well and were pretty decently accurate. so my opinions on these two are based on personal preference and not performance of them.

personally with the size of your budget, i would steer towards the Marlin X7 and it would give you a bigger budget for a really nice scope. IMO, the X7's will hang with the top dogs all day long. all of mine get shot quite a bit. i use all of mine for target shooting and working up loads, so they get lots of trigger time.

another option is to check around for a nice used rifle. sometimes you can get some really good deals on some really nice used rifles. i bought two of my Remington M700's used, one was $350 and the other was $250. both needed some cosmetic attention, but functioned perfectly and were still very accurate.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
godale Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 528
Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default

Avoid all Remington rifles until they can sort out their QC issues, unless you are talking about a used one 80s and 90s models are fine rifles.
Savage makes the best value rifle on the market bar none, I have owned half a dozen of them and loved them all. It is worth paying the little extra to get the real 110/111 rather then the Axis, great out of the box trigger and access to a strong aftermarket, I got my most recent one for $386 NIB and it even included a toy scope for my next BB gun
Weatherby makes a solid gun but they are bulky and just don't fit me right so I have never owned one.
Ruger has shaken up the value gun market with the Ruger American, reports are nearly all great, nice slim/light rifle don't know if it is Savage good yet but it shows promise and for $329-$350 I think you would be hard pressed to go wrong with one on a budget.
Tikka makes the hands down best rifle under $600, tack driving accuracy with a wide variety of bullet weight both in factory form and handloads, easily the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and the action/trigger are the best in the business at any price, factory recoil pad sucks though you might want to change that out on an 06.
For what it is worth my 30-06 is a Savage and it is a real good setup, I changed out the crappy package rings/bases/scope for a one piece Reaper rings/base and a Leopold VXII Perfect little setup my brother prefers that rifle to any of my higher end guns.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

i have three Marlin X7's. all are top notch rifles, well made and very accurate. they have adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stocks and an excellent recoil pad. i have a XS7 in 7mm-08, a XL7C in 25-06 and a XS7VH in 308. IMO, one of the best values in rifles these days. not for sure what they are going for in this current market, but i feel you should be able to get one for $400 or less, if you shop around.

the Remington M700 SPS is probably going to be the only M700 in your price range, unless you luck into a really nice used one. i have several M700's and all are great rifles and accurate. good aftermarket support in regards to parts and accessories. lot of internet rumors floating around about Remington's quality slipping, but i wouldn't put much stock into it without seeing proof.

the Weatherby Vanguard is the same rifle as the Howa 1500 with a different stock. both are excellent rifles, well made and accurate. not for sure as to cost, but avery good option for you. most people that own either one are very pleased with them.

the Ruger American. i have held a couple so far. so far those that have bought them seem very pleased with them so far. still relatively a very new rifle on the market. personally, i just not liking it. this strictly personal preference and ergonomics for me just as it is for the Savage Axis. neither of these two rifles really fits me well. the Ruger just seems awkward and the Axis fel deleicat and more like a youth rifle. now the Axis's i have shot performed very well and were pretty decently accurate. so my opinions on these two are based on personal preference and not performance of them.

personally with the size of your budget, i would steer towards the Marlin X7 and it would give you a bigger budget for a really nice scope. IMO, the X7's will hang with the top dogs all day long. all of mine get shot quite a bit. i use all of mine for target shooting and working up loads, so they get lots of trigger time.

another option is to check around for a nice used rifle. sometimes you can get some really good deals on some really nice used rifles. i bought two of my Remington M700's used, one was $350 and the other was $250. both needed some cosmetic attention, but functioned perfectly and were still very accurate.
The Remington 700 sps is the one in looking at how is it?
__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
The Remington 700 sps is the one in looking at how is it?
i've got two of them. one is a 204 Ruger and the other a 7mm Rem. Mag.. both are very accurate. very smooth bolts, adjustable triggers and the 7mm R.M. has a factory camo stock.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I'm deff leaning toward the remington 700 its like $580.

__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
I'm deff leaning toward the remington 700 its like $580.
the biggest failing IMO on the M700 SPS is the factory stock. but with the aftermarket stocks available for the M700's, finding a better one isn't difficult at all. and if a person has the skills, they can be fixed quite easily like i did mine.

$580 for a new M700 SPS is not a bad price.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

the biggest failing IMO on the M700 SPS is the factory stock. but with the aftermarket stocks available for the M700's, finding a better one isn't difficult at all. and if a person has the skills, they can be fixed quite easily like i did mine.

$580 for a new M700 SPS is not a bad price.
Oh ok are they flimsy? The two I like the most are the m700 sps and the marlin xl7 but the marlins $200 cheapier
__________________
rob1990 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best rifle for service rifle competition Sibil General Rifle Discussion 8 01-03-2013 07:07 PM
Best rifle for service rifle competition Sibil AR-15 Discussion 1 01-03-2013 04:47 PM
15 inch barrel, with rifle gas! almost rifle velocity, and i runs great Middleofthemiddle AR-15 Discussion 11 07-31-2012 11:55 PM
How to convert a rifle into a short barreled rifle legally Awesome NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 26 06-28-2012 07:00 PM
VZ58 rifle vs. SKS rifle differences? orangello AK & SKS Discussion 4 07-12-2011 02:58 AM