Looking for a (relatively) inexpensive cartridge - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a (relatively) inexpensive cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I believe I have found a solution to my problem...a very close family member has a brand new Taurus PT111 (Mill. Pro 9mm) and has satisfied his/her CCW needs elsewhere and has agreed to sell for just under $200...it will be my first pistol...went to my local (knowledgeable) firearms dealer and checked out the model and I'm totally jazzed about it. Feels great to me, and the gf, and It'll be a catalyst for a lot more range time. Hopefully my grouping will get tighter with my other four as a result as well.

Not giving up on the idea of the AR and/or the long range bolt...just gonna put em on the backburner for now. Always been a big proponent of the idea that a standard corvette is impractical as is at 70k, when you could get a Z06 for 95k that's just as impractical, but a hell of a lot more badass...So I'll save and get what I really want down the line...but in the meantime, I'm not gonna pass up the brand new Z28 at police auction prices. Hope y'all understand the analogy, and thanks for the help.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #22

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
If you want a good centerfire to just go shoot a lot of rounds at the range, I'd suggest a .223 bolt gun. A box of 100 federal 55gr fmjs is only $40 at Walmart. That's only $0.40 a round, and is probably the cheapest centerfire ammo out there, and has great accuracy (depending on rate of twist) out anywhere from 2-400m. It has virtually no recoil, and an abundance of ammo. Plus, if you save up more $ and decide you want an AR, then you already have ammo and are familiar with the caliber.
HMMM .223 is cheaper than most, but 7.62x39 smokes it. Even if you only buy a small box of soft points it's only $0.30 a shot. It drops to $0.23 or better if you buy surplus military ammo. The CZ527 is a bolt action chambered for that round. SKS is an option. Savage makes some bolt guns in that caliber i know. The Rossi Handi Rifle is made in 7.62x39... the list goes on.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhvy View Post
I believe I have found a solution to my problem...a very close family member has a brand new Taurus PT111 (Mill. Pro 9mm) and has satisfied his/her CCW needs elsewhere and has agreed to sell for just under $200...it will be my first pistol...went to my local (knowledgeable) firearms dealer and checked out the model and I'm totally jazzed about it. Feels great to me, and the gf, and It'll be a catalyst for a lot more range time. Hopefully my grouping will get tighter with my other four as a result as well.

Not giving up on the idea of the AR and/or the long range bolt...just gonna put em on the backburner for now. Always been a big proponent of the idea that a standard corvette is impractical as is at 70k, when you could get a Z06 for 95k that's just as impractical, but a hell of a lot more badass...So I'll save and get what I really want down the line...but in the meantime, I'm not gonna pass up the brand new Z28 at police auction prices. Hope y'all understand the analogy, and thanks for the help.
budhvy, i think we all do this from time to time, as i know i head in one direction with a firearm i have in mind, then get totally sidetracked when something i wasn't expecting becomes available. the other day, i went to pick up a pistol i had on layaway, found a mint condition winchester M94AE in 30-30 for $299, haggled it down to $260, bought it, found a ruger M77V in 280 Rem. for $499, haggled it down to $470, and put it on layaway. so i went to pick up one pistol, bought another rifle, and put another one on layaway, and felt like i had won the lottery that day! well it happens.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good luck with the Taurus, you may need it.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg