Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a (relatively) inexpensive cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a (relatively) inexpensive cartridge

Basically I've saved around $700 toward a new firearm...
I'm looking for something I can take to the range and something that I won't have to work extra to get out to the range.
I've hunted deer and everything in between throughout my life at my family's farm in the MS. delta, but haven't been able to get up there as much, so going to the range here (recently) has filled that void and now I've got the fever again...

Have been shooting a Savage 110E 30-06 but ammo is fairly steep..
Also a marlin .22 lever and remington .22 semi but the wifey and I get bored with them easily...

If you're still with me, I was entertaining an AR...because they're sexy as hell, and who didn't want one growing up? But I think it might be prudent to get a mid-recoiled, accurate bolt-gun to get her enthused without allowing her right eye taking my 30-06 ( and get me out to the range more often on my own, for less $$, of course.) Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #2

If I were to get a bolt, I'd be looking at either a Savage or Remington, but what calibers might one suggest? And scope combo in that range? I shot a 5 inch 20 round group with the 30-06 (savage 110, tasco 3x9x50 180 grain Rem. Core Lokt) which I, personally am proud of, since I've only put 80 rounds through over the past year...but I want to see better

Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depending on caliber id try the marlin x7s in 243 or 308. The marlin is well made, fairly cheap, has an awesome trigger that is user adjustable and an awesome butt pad. It will out shoot the savage or the remingtons. Both calibers are cheap to shoot and light recoiling. Both are also well chosen rounds for deer.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhvy
Basically I've saved around $700 toward a new firearm...
I'm looking for something I can take to the range and something that I won't have to work extra to get out to the range.
I've hunted deer and everything in between throughout my life at my family's farm in the MS. delta, but haven't been able to get up there as much, so going to the range here (recently) has filled that void and now I've got the fever again...

Have been shooting a Savage 110E 30-06 but ammo is fairly steep..
Also a marlin .22 lever and remington .22 semi but the wifey and I get bored with them easily...

If you're still with me, I was entertaining an AR...because they're sexy as hell, and who didn't want one growing up? But I think it might be prudent to get a mid-recoiled, accurate bolt-gun to get her enthused without allowing her right eye taking my 30-06 ( and get me out to the range more often on my own, for less $$, of course.) Thanks
If you want a good centerfire to just go shoot a lot of rounds at the range, I'd suggest a .223 bolt gun. A box of 100 federal 55gr fmjs is only $40 at Walmart. That's only $0.40 a round, and is probably the cheapest centerfire ammo out there, and has great accuracy (depending on rate of twist) out anywhere from 2-400m. It has virtually no recoil, and an abundance of ammo. Plus, if you save up more $ and decide you want an AR, then you already have ammo and are familiar with the caliber.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

I will also suggest the reminton model 700 or a savage with the acu trigger both in .223 . Both are in your price range even with optics on them . If your just looking to plink at the range with it you can run cheap russian TULA FMJ 55 gr ammo for about $0.24 a shot at walmart fora box of 20 or even Wolf HP russian ammo . I just bought 1000 rds of Wolf 62 gr hps for $223 shipped to my door @ $0.22 each its hard to find it much cheaper . If your looking to buy a cheaper gun and spending more money on better optics there are many many choices like savage axis, and lower end marlins ,Those 2 would be my top choices in cheaper rifles and just as accurate as the Model 700 or higher end Savages . Stay away from the cheapo remington 770 I have not heard great stories lately , the action is terrible and the triggers not great and those are 2 very important parts to making a smooth accurate rifle. The savage axis trigger needs some work and if you have any skills at all you and a few basic tools can take care of that yourself for about $3 and 30 minutes of your time and have a 3.5# trigger or you can drop in a savage accu trigger but for that extra cost you might as well buy a little higher end Savage for the same money , the marlin trigger is great out of the box.
Oh one more thing dont buy one with optics on it already most of those are not good quality and you will be raplacing it anyway due to low power and bad clarity so you might as well save that extra $50 and buy a better optics to begin with .
Heres my savage axis .223 and the best grouping I can get with cheap Remington UMC ammo , you can cover those 3 shots with a nickel and those were @ 100 yards ,rifle zeroed for 200 yards

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16825 Times on 9750 Posts
Likes Given: 43881

my suggestion would be to consider getting into reloading. this is a good way to lower your ammo costs a little and allow you to gain some accuracy from the 30-06. plus any rifles you might purchase in the future, add a set of loading dies and then do the same with them. another caliber to consider is the 308, can be had in many different types of rifles, and ammo is available in many different types and brands.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
my suggestion would be to consider getting into reloading. this is a good way to lower your ammo costs a little and allow you to gain some accuracy from the 30-06. plus any rifles you might purchase in the future, add a set of loading dies and then do the same with them. another caliber to consider is the 308, can be had in many different types of rifles, and ammo is available in many different types and brands.
I second that... Reloading is the way to go IMO... There is no way I could afford to shoot all the different firearms I have if it weren't for reloading or "rolling" my own (as they say)...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

As far as cheap to shoot goes,a 223 caliber rifle will be it if you don't reload.
If you want a caliber that can be used for hunting deer sized game or bigger,go with a 243,7mm-08,257 Roberts,or 25/06.All of these calibers have very mild recoil,and will take game down just fine.

I would also suggest looking into reloading if you like to shoot frequently.It not only saves on the cost of ammo,you can build ammo that each gun likes to shoot accurately.You can get into reloading relatively cheap,if you shop around and buy mostly used equipment,and it will pay for itself in just a few boxes of ammo.

Example- Take your 30/06,If you bought 5 boxes of Remington 165gr Corelokt ammo at $21.99 = 109.95+tax= $120
Reloading- 100-165gr Corelokt bullets= $27.99
100-30/06 Brass Cases= $49.98
100-Large Rifle Primers= $4.00
100 case loads of powder= $2.20 based on 59gr loads
(H4350 powder)
Total cost reloading= $84.17 for the same 30/06 cartridges,You would save $36

And then you would also save reloading buy being able to reuse the brass cases,so all of your next loads would cost you $50 less since you already have the brass,but you would need to also buy a tumbler to clean it,so it would cost about the same for your 2nd loading.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 02-16-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #9

Txhillbilly, makes good economic sense. If a guy was clueless about reloading ( I.e me), where would I start? What is a basic reloading bench kit include, brands, dies, etc...where do you get the gunpowder and reloading supplies. Interested in doing this, just Used to buying a box off the shelf, but that may not be an option in the not too distant future.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

The Savage 223 rifles have a 1:9 twist while the Rems have 1:12 unless you get into their SPS series and you better double check there. My grandsons Savage 10 package with scope was under $500 OTD in CA and was sub moa with 55 grain hand loads. The 1:9 will work better with the 55-62 grain bullets than the 1:12. I dont know if the Russian 223/5.56x45 ammo is loaded to military or civilian specifications. You should not run military 5.56x45 through 223 bolt actions.
For reloading, if you buy carefully, you could keep your component cost down to 25-30 cents a round in the 06 if you have been keeping your brass. Shame on you if you have not. You could also load lower velocity for easier recoil. This is after you invest in loading gear. You dont have to go expensive to load. Lee makes a starter kit for about $100 plus your dies.
Another possible route would be an SKS or a Saiga in 7.62x39. I have been looking for a reasonable bolt action in 7.62x39. Ammo is relatively inexpensive and about the same power as a 30-30. You would be looking in the $300-$400 area. Both would be semi auto. Not the most accurate guns but fun to shoot. Russian ammo would be about $240/1000 delivered if you can mail order where you live. The 223 is not legal for hunting in some areas while the 7.62x39 is and would make a good short range deer rifle.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-16-2012 at 05:33 PM.