Looking for a perfect fit. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a perfect fit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you want to become a proficient pistol shooter, you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark III pistol. Check out the Browning Buckmark as well, as it seems to be pretty popular.

For a rifle, the Ruger 10/22 is a great one and you can trick it out as much as you want. The Savage model 60 and the Marlin 795 are also popular and worth a look.

The nice thing about all of these is that .22 LR is still pretty cheap, so you can become quite a marksman without breaking the bank.

You'll probably want to branch out into other calibers eventually and by then you will have a wealth more knowledge and skill.

Good luck with your quest and thanks for the avatar props.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you want an inexpensive pistol you could always go with a Ruger Single Six. It's a single action revolver so the shooting isn't real fast. One plus is that you can change the cylinder and shoot 22 magnums as well. My dad has one, great shooter.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #13

Okay so I believe I have my mind set on a rifle. I will be getting it at more than likely Academy sports and outdoors.

So I am looking at the Marlin 759 or the Savage 64, and take a look if they have the Ruger 10/22.

Then I'll need to look for a relatively inexpensive Scope, and that is all I believe I'll need for the rifle itself. I guess the Bushnell Sharpshooter
3-9X40, since its $34.99

Now an Ammo question, how is the Winchester Super X and The Remington Yellow jacket?

Last edited by NymphoGnome; 02-15-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Okay then, a rifle it is. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. Good luck and keep us informed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
Okay so I believe I have my mind set on a rifle. I will be getting it at more than likely Academy sports and outdoors.

So I am looking at the Marlin 759 or the Savage 64, and take a look if they have the Ruger 10/22.

Then I'll need to look for a relatively inexpensive Scope, and that is all I believe I'll need for the rifle itself. I guess the Bushnell Sharpshooter
3-9X40, since its $34.99

Now an Ammo question, how is the Winchester Super X and The Remington Yellow jacket?
marlin, savage, and ruger all make good .22 rifles. and the 35 dollar bushnell scope will be fine. rimfire scopes don't take much abuse from recoil so any cheapo that is not defective (can hold it's zero) will do, but i've heard bushnell makes a pretty good rimfire scope.

as for ammo:

if you get a bolt action it should shoot any .22lr without feed problems, you just find the one that groups best in your gun.

for auto loaders you have to find which ones feed the best for your gun. not all feed perfectly and some guns are "picky".

for both types i would just get a small box of 4 or 5 of the most common brands in your area and test your gun out. when you find the one that feeds/shoots best, stock up on that particular brand.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #16

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
Thank you, so if i were to go with a rifle semi or bolt?
Marlin model 60. better value than a Ruger 10/22, and there arent many accessories to ghey it up.

And whatever bulk box of amo thats under $17.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

the 10/22 is a great rifle with a lot of aftermarket parts available. I have a marlin 795 and while it's a no frills rifle, it's a great shooter and I'm very happy with it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #18

Liked 730 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

You have not looked in the last 8 months. Even the real cheapo bulk is $23.00

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Marlin model 60. better value than a Ruger 10/22, and there arent many accessories to ghey it up.

I'm not too keen on accessories, but you mentioned the model 60 and looking at the 795, how big of a difference do the two have?

"Change isn't good or bad. It just is." - Don Draper

Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your looking for cool check-out the Beretta CX 4 Strom in 9mm. 9mm ammo is probably the least expensive for center fire handgun cartridges and this firearm can be use indoors and outdoors on most gun ranges.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.