Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a nice rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am surprised that no one has suggested the 30.06. I have personally taken or personally witnessed that gun take everything from a groundhog to a moose and everything in between. My hunting partner took a mule deer in thick scrub at about 30 yards while I watched and the same season got a cow elk at 300+ yards. Mind you, this guy is a crack shot and throws a lot of lead in practice sessions. IMHO the 30.06 is the single most versatile (taking ammo aquisition into account) center fire rifle one can own. You can get them as cheap as any other rifle, even less if you buy used and have enough to get a short barrel Mossberg 12 for home use. Personally that is my perfect plan. A great 30.06 (stupidly sold my last Enfield when I was broke) and a cheap 12 gauge home def. gun. I can wait on the 12 as my Ruger 9mm and my Browning .45 keep my home safe and sound for now.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
That maybe true although they kinda referred to the 30/30 as a good beginners gun. No doubt about the number of deer that have been taken, but even with the Hornady's load at 300 yards it really falls off pretty quick, not sure I'd make that shot... now with the .300WM I never hesitated and did take him down at a little beyond 300 yards in fact kinda push him down.
Around this part of the country you wont get many 300 yard shots on a deer. Lots of hills and a ton of brush. If you even see sometihng at that kind of yardage you wont get a good shot on it because of brush and terrain. Use a cannon for all I care but I'll wager you wont take anymore deer around here with the .300 WSM as you will a 30 30. My father in law uses a 30 06 these days but will tell you that it gives no real gain. I can't remember even taking a 300 yard shot on a deer since I've hunted in my neck of the woods.

It boils to the right tool for the job and that can be relative due to where you are and what you are trying to pout a hole in. But for the most part I was talking about what the OP was looking at. Each of the choices where all worthy but have different situations where they are most effective.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #13

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
So I am trying to decide if I want a 30/30, my bosses suggestion Mosin Nagant or maybe just a Shotgun.

For the 30/30 I am looking at the Marlin 336 (I think that is what it is called) just looking at it I am in love with this rifle! I could hunt deer which is something I really want get into.

The Mosin Nagant, Im only 23 and I am obsessed with anything WWII. I could get 440 rounds for $100 plus the rifle it self is only about $100. I don't think I would be able to hunt with this rifle, though my boss says I could. Also I am not clear on what I am going to have to do get that thing cleaned up and ready to fire, because my boss said you have to clean it before shooting.

The shotgun is very versatile, turkey, deer and skeet shooting, even home defense. But you do have to get kinda up close and personal with what you are about to shoot and that makes me a bit nervous.

So how about a little help, let me know if something I have mentioned is wrong.

GN,

Sounds to me like you "need" BOTH a shotgun and a rifle!

The most versitile shotgun would be a 12 gauge with a 28" barrel and with screw-in chokes.

For deer hunting, the most widely available, and usually least expensive, ammo is for 30/30, 270 Win., 308 win. and a 30/06 cartridges. They are all very good choices for deer hunting.