Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Looking for a nice rifle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/looking-nice-rifle-33949/)

NymphoGnome 11-04-2010 07:01 AM

Looking for a nice rifle.

So I am trying to decide if I want a 30/30, my bosses suggestion Mosin Nagant or maybe just a Shotgun.

For the 30/30 I am looking at the Marlin 336 (I think that is what it is called) just looking at it I am in love with this rifle! I could hunt deer which is something I really want get into.

The Mosin Nagant, Im only 23 and I am obsessed with anything WWII. I could get 440 rounds for $100 plus the rifle it self is only about $100. I don't think I would be able to hunt with this rifle, though my boss says I could. Also I am not clear on what I am going to have to do get that thing cleaned up and ready to fire, because my boss said you have to clean it before shooting.

The shotgun is very versatile, turkey, deer and skeet shooting, even home defense. But you do have to get kinda up close and personal with what you are about to shoot and that makes me a bit nervous.

So how about a little help, let me know if something I have mentioned is wrong.

DrumJunkie 11-04-2010 08:43 AM

The Marlin you are looking at is a fantastic rifle. More deer have been taken with those than many others. Maybe a couple combined. With the new Lever Evolution ammo they even get better. Though the "old style" ammo is nothing to sneeze at.There is no arguing about how effective the 30-30 has been for a long time.

The Mosin's are really fun rifles. Sure you can hunt with it. You will want to look over the rifle and in your case (you don't seem to have a lot of experience) maybe bring along someone that knows the weapon a little better to make sure the one you are looking at has not been beat up too bad. Some of them can be in pretty rough shape. At the least they will most all be well used.

A shotgun is very versatile. you can use them for bird hunting, larger game like deer, and they do make excellent home defense weapons. Depending on the shotgun you are looking at you can find them with an extra barrel that might make it even a little more versatile. Meaning if it had a slug barrel and a smooth bore that uses chokes it's a matter of having the right ammo for the task you set out to use it with you are good to go.

What you want to do is sit and think about what you want this weapon to do. If hunting is the primary and it is deer you want to bring home look at hunting regulations in your state. Some only allow shotguns so that could make your choice much easier. But if your state allows a center fire rifle then if it was me I'd lean to the Marlin. It's light, it can reach out there and get the target and ..well..It's light! You might be ou tthere a while andf believe me. Every ounce that weapon weighs will be known to you before the day is done if you happen to be in the woods all day. and fact is, most decent home defense shotguns are not real expensive. So you may fill that need later if you decide it's one that needs filled. THe The Marlin you are looking at is a fantastic rifle. More deer have been taken with those than many others. Maybe a couple combined. With the new Lever Evolution ammo they even get better. Though the "old style" ammo is nothing to sneeze at.There is no arguing about how effective the 30-30 has been for a long time.

The Mosin's are really fun rifles. Sure you can hunt with it. You will want to look over the rifle and in your case (you don't seem to have a lot of experience) maybe bring along someone that knows the weapon a little better to make sure the one you are looking at has not been beat up too bad. Some of them can be in pretty rough shape. At the least they will most all be well used.

A shotgun is very versatile. you can use them for bird hunting, larger game like deer, and they do make excellent home defense weapons. Depending on the shotgun you are looking at you can find them with an extra barrel that might make it even a little more versatile. Meaning if it had a slug barrel and a smooth bore that uses chokes it's a matter of having the right ammo for the task you set out to use it with you are good to go.

What you want to do is sit and think about what you want this weapon to do. If hunting is the primary and it is deer you want to bring home look at hunting regulations in your state. Some only allow shotguns so that could make your choice much easier.Mosin is also very inexpensive as you pointed out. It is a good bit heavier than the Marlin but the ammo is dirt cheap. So you could go that way and you will be fine. The Mosin is pretty accurate and will take a deer down as well. But you have to look at the big picture for what fits your needs best right now and down the road.

c3shooter 11-04-2010 01:30 PM

Very well said. Gnome, that is some good advice right there. You ought to print that and read it carefully, and give it some thought.

FreedomFighter69 11-04-2010 03:02 PM

Anythin bolt or lever action you can hunt with in almost every state.
The Marlin 336 is a very good rifle. Grab one while you could, Marlin is not producing anymore, they were bought out by Remington ! I love their lever guns and I think they are better made than the current Winchesters that are being made. The Marlin chambered for 45-70 Govt. is another excellent rifle you might want to check into ?

amoroque 11-04-2010 03:05 PM

Great post Drum Junkie. Thumbs up!

My .02 is that every man (or woman) needs a good shotgun.

Highpower 11-04-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoroque (Post 380402)
Great post Drum Junkie. Thumbs up!

Agreed. Very nice job!

rjgnwdc 11-04-2010 04:59 PM

I'm looking too

I looked at the 30/30 and talked with a few deer hunting guys and they really didn't think much of the 30/30 so I have checked out the .308 and while it's plenty capable of any kind of deer goat pig or varmint it still seemed lacking. I think I've decided on the .300WinMag now I need to choose between bolt, lever or SA I will use my brother in law's in a couple weeks it's a Browning bolt I like the round and have had very good luck with it through the years, but I'm pretty sure I 'll get a Browning BAR longtrac I just really like my semi's

pioneer461 11-04-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjgnwdc (Post 380459)
I looked at the 30/30 and talked with a few deer hunting guys and they really didn't think much of the 30/30 so...

I'd be willing to wager that the "deer hunting guys" you talked with don't like the .30-30 because they don't have a "bolt" with a handle sticking out on the side of the stock. Too old fashioned and not "sexy," or macho.

There have been more deer taken with the lowly .30-30 than any other cartridge in the United States. There is a reason they have stuck around and in high demand since 1894. Lately with the development of Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo, the .30-30 is an honest 300 yard hunting round.

orangello 11-04-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 380346)
Very well said. Gnome, that is some good advice right there. You ought to print that and read it carefully, and give it some thought.

Maybe even re-read it. ;)

If i could only have one gun, it would be a pump-action 12 guage; it is a do-all firearm with barrel options to control the range vs. shotspread. If i could only have two, the 30-30 would be a front-runner for that 2nd spot. The woods are pretty thick here; any round with more legs than the 30-30 is probably overkill for deer in the brush. I would love a Mosin, and Classicarms.us has a new shipment in with some selling in the $70 range (strike-throughs on a couple of parts) and some for about $100 with matching numbers.

When i eventually get a lever-action, it will probably be a .357 to match my revolver.

rjgnwdc 11-04-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 380492)
I'd be willing to wager that the "deer hunting guys" you talked with don't like the .30-30 because they don't have a "bolt" with a handle sticking out on the side of the stock. Too old fashioned and not "sexy," or macho.

There have been more deer taken with the lowly .30-30 than any other cartridge in the United States. There is a reason they have stuck around and in high demand since 1894. Lately with the development of Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo, the .30-30 is an honest 300 yard hunting round.

That maybe true although they kinda referred to the 30/30 as a good beginners gun. No doubt about the number of deer that have been taken, but even with the Hornady's load at 300 yards it really falls off pretty quick, not sure I'd make that shot... now with the .300WM I never hesitated and did take him down at a little beyond 300 yards in fact kinda push him down.