Looking for a new Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a new Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a new Rifle

Hi im new to here, but Im looking for a new rifle. I already have two shotguns and a .22 rifle. Im looking for something for coyote and just target shooting.

I have looked at a .243 and a 30-06. They seem to be a little "to much" for me. Im looking for something that can easily take down a coyote without a problem from around 200 yards away.

Im also concerned about cost of ammunition, because the ammo for the .243 and 30-06 are really high, thats also a downfall.

I've been really looking at the .223 and thinking it may be a good fit. With its cost of ammunition being lower and the little less of a gun then the snipers up top.

Im also gonna be buying a 30-30 lever-action from my grandpa...anybody have any input on that either?

thanks and any help is appericiated by a newcomer,
Roth

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The .223 is a great coyote round, and you can get a very accurate Savage/Marlin bolt action for about $350 if that's what you're looking for. If ammo costs weren't a factor, the .204 Ruger is another great coyote round, but the .223 will be much less in price for store ammo. As far as the 30-30 lever, it's a fun gun, OK for deer out to 150 yards or so, but not something you'd probably use on coyotes unless you walk up on one. There are some really good 30-30 rounds out now made for lever actions that perform much better than the old blunt nosed standbys--levers are fun to shoot but take some practice to be consistant and effective on deer, etc. Good luck!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I go along with the .223 idea. Rounds are plentiful, varied and still affordable.

As far as the levergun, what brand is it? I can tell you this, an awful lot of game has been taken with .30-30's for more than a hundred years.

There's great history there too. As far as I know, the 1894 Winchester was designed by John Moses Browning.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
The .223 is a great coyote round, and you can get a very accurate Savage/Marlin bolt action for about $350 if that's what you're looking for. If ammo costs weren't a factor, the .204 Ruger is another great coyote round, but the .223 will be much less in price for store ammo. As far as the 30-30 lever, it's a fun gun, OK for deer out to 150 yards or so, but not something you'd probably use on coyotes unless you walk up on one. There are some really good 30-30 rounds out now made for lever actions that perform much better than the old blunt nosed standbys--levers are fun to shoot but take some practice to be consistant and effective on deer, etc. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I go along with the .223 idea. Rounds are plentiful, varied and still affordable.

As far as the levergun, what brand is it? I can tell you this, an awful lot of game has been taken with .30-30's for more than a hundred years.

There's great history there too. As far as I know, the 1894 Winchester was designed by John Moses Browning.

well thanks guys, It really helps.

Whenever I get home ill see what that 30-30 is...

I'm going out today to shoot my uncles .223 and my 30-30 and a .357 im really excited.

Roth

Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Great. Check back in with some info for us. Pics too, if you can.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #6

marlin est. 1867 and i couldn't remeber the model number.

I will be shooting it and scoping it in today. Have a coyote hunt later today.

This morning our dry cow had twins, but one didn't make it so Im gonna drag her out there and set her by a fence row and wait for the Coyotes

Can't decide if i wanna use the 30-30 or the 22-250 hmmm, such a hard decision.

Roth

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

Better bring the 22-250. It will tear them up.

1+ on the .223 super cheap to buy ammo and reload if you ever decide to do so. Also 1+ on the savage/ Stevens. My dad has a .223 Stevens and he can hit birds 80yards away!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

12ga w/ #4 lead. Great for hunting over bait. It may take a few days for the Yotes to find it as cold as it is.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I love the 223 round. I have 2 well 1 and 1 on the way.

I have a sweet shooting remmy 700VLS in 223 and I am getting a RRA predator Pursuit rifle here in a few weeks.

The 223 will take a yote out to 400 yards if you want to push it. At 400 yards I would be using a 60gr V-max or a heavier game bullet.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I believe the Marlin will be a model 336. I'm not sure if the 1894 also came in .30-30 or not. Please check for us, it will be on the barrel.