Looking for a new gun! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a new gun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for all of the opinions! All valuable comments. I was thinking of a surplus SKS, under $400CA for a "new unused arsenal" one with 1200 milsurp rounds -tempting! But I would go with a hunting gun first I think.

As far as the .22 idea, it just seems cheap and easy to get right away, I was leaning towards a 10/22, but I have access to .22's through friends. I just like having my own though - I guess many people here get that!

I have heard good things about the 30-06, but have never fired one, is the recoil similar to a 7mm remington? I am a bit on the smaller side - I can handle a 12ga no problem, but the 7mm is rough to use without a benchrest. I was thinking of going with a smaller round, until I get more experience. I'll try the rounds at the range of course, but what can I expect from a .308 or 30-06 compared to 12ga or 7mm rem?

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

you can hunt just fine with an SKS. There may be better options out there, but the 7.62x39 still kills.

As for the recoil, someone else will weigh in I'm sure, but all the higher power rifles feel about the same to me, or comparable at least, until you get into magnum rounds.