Looking at a mosin
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking at a mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default Looking at a mosin

Don't know much about them, but I'd like to get one. Found one for 130$ and comes with the whole little "kit" and cleaning rod. Just wondering what are some things to look for before I drop the cash. Good or bad years, notorious problems? It's a '42

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

4 things to look for...

1-Bore

2-Bore

3-Bore

4-Muzzle/Crown-counterboring is not a bad thing (if it's counterbored) but if the muzzle is damaged/worn/nicked, she's not going to be as accurate as it should

$130 is halfway decent (especially right now)

No 'notorious' problems sans the 'sticky bolt syndrome' but that's an easy fix should you need to...

Learn more here...

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A buddy and I picked up a couple for about that much last summer. We found both to be in new, unfired, condition after we cleaned all the grease away. Remove the bolt and look at the bottom side for scratches to get an idea of how many times the bolt has been cycled. Look at the bolt face for tooling marks from it being machined. Look at the magazine follower for wear of rounds being pushed into the chamber. Look at the crown for indications of recrowning. Look at the front sight for wear on the locking lugs that retain the bayonet.

It's probable that you will find wear in some of these locations if the gun was arsenal refinished, but there were a large number of unissued guns that went through the arsenal refinish even though they had never been issued. The best clue that you might have one of these will be matching seriaal numbers on all the major parts.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #4

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Vincent is 100% correct on the inspection. I have several that have all matching numbers and several that have all matching numbers with the exception of the butt plate. I prefer the hex receiver over the round receiver. Go to 7.62 X 54.net for tons of info on the Mosin Nagants.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #5

Liked 189 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 310

I bought one over the summer...I had my reserves about them too.

The cosmo came off a lot easier than most people made it out to be...hot water, let it dry, oil it up well. For the stock, wrap it in a plastic garbage bag and let it sit in the warm sun.

I'm not a rifle guy by any means and I was hitting targets at 100 yards off-hand with the first 5 rounds through the gun.

Ammo is still easy to come by...420 rounds in a metal tin for ~$85 and I got 10 brand new stripper clips for $8 on amazon

Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Thanks for all the info guys. I dont have Internet so I use apps on my phone for forums. No app, no forum or I'd check out that 762x54.net. Why is the hex receiver preferred and also were there any year variations, years to avoid or a more desirable year?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I bought one from Buds Guns recently for $119.00 with the full kit, it was in great shape, bore was great, the numbers matched and it didn't take me to long to clean the cosmoline off. The only problem I had was the bayonet didn't fit right but have that problem fixed now. (From what I can gather a lot of people have that problem.) It's a great gun an a lot of fun to shoot. Keep in mind if you shoot the old military surplus ammo it is corrosive and you'll need to clean your gun after each shooting with hot soapy water or windex and hot water followed by a light oiling afterwards.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #8

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

The hex receiver was used from it's inception to the mid 1930's (until they ran out of them) and is allegedly more durable but that's up for debate. IIRC they switched to the round receiver to conserve metal and it was easier to manufacture.

To me, the hex just increases the 'cool factor' because the gun is most likely pre-WW2. The Finns used captured/recycled hex receivers in their arsenal re-furbs and M39's so it's not all that uncommon to find a hex with a post 1930's date stamp on it's bbl.

Variations you ask? A whole metric azz ton of them!! Too many to list right now...

I don't know of any production years to avoid or that are more desirable (other than the older the better for some folks) Unless your dealer has a crate of them and lets you pick and choose, you pretty much get what you get. But like I said earlier, if it's got a good bore, you should be good to go. These things were built to last...(sort of...they are being destroyed in Europe as we speak )

If you can get online, spend a few hours on the site I linked, tons of good stuff on there and can give you more info than I can...

Variations you asked about...couldn't find a bigger pic but you get the idea...

mosin-nagant-rifle-family-chart-tree-linear.jpg  

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

My Mosin 91/30 arrived Christmas before last from a Son with the cleaning kit, sling, & bayonet. The bore was great and bluing and stock finish also good. The trigger pull, however was "hard as a harlot's heart" and cured by ordering a Huber's Concept trigger and installing it.

With Russian ammo that I also received. It is capable of almost shooting through a 1/2 inch piece of steel ! So for hunting and so forth I recommend ammunition less penetrating as referring to Privi Ammo, usually available at gun stores. I do not know if anyone makes jacketed soft nose ammo. My Mosin is accurate and I like it very well !

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help guys