Looking for M1 Garand info
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Looking for M1 Garand info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for M1 Garand info

I am looking to purchase an M1 Garand, but can only find one locally and it's a .308 not a 30-06. And on top of that they want over $1500 for it. Does anyone have information on where I can find one, or is a place like CMP my best bet? Also, am I just being stubborn by wanting the 30-06, is there any advantage one way or another?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

CMP is probably the best deal going but you should be able to find M1's more or less locally. If local, expect to pay around $750 for a non matching rifle in decent shape.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #3

I would like to have a matching one. I have been looking at CMP's "correct grade", but I have to find a club to join that is affiliated with them. And I was told that if you purchase a rifle from CMP you can only sell it back to them, is that true?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Dude, you're in the Army. I think that supersedes being in a club. Double check the CMP qualifiers, but I'm pretty sure that active duty qualifies.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here ya' go, cut and pasted from their eligibility requirements page:

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at CMP - Find a CMP Affiliated Club. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #6

Awesome, thank you I was just on their page as well re-reading what I had obviously missed. What "grade" would be good for a first time purchase, something to just shoot and the range and enjoy?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I bought a Service Grade 1943 Springfield. It had some other parts, but was mostly Springfield. Unless you buy "Correct Grade" you'll get a rifle with mixed parts. They were all pretty much re-arsenaled and parts is parts in the armory.

Service Grade will get you a good and reliable shooter that looks pretty good too. Just figure out which manufacturer you want and go for it.

BTW, I hope you weren't offended by me calling you Dude. I'm an AF vet, '67-'71 and I've probably been in California too long. Correction, I know I've been in California too long.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #8

Trust me, being in the Army for 12 years now I have developed very thick skin. It will take a lot more than that to offend me. Besides, I have been called way worse things than that so no worries.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #9

Liked 927 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1037

Isnt the .308 a M1A? (civvie version of a M14) If your not picky about specifics the CMP is your best bet....
Good luck on your search, Im hunting for a Garand as well, but Im picky and gotta have one made by International Harvester... The CMP never seems to have them though...

Last edited by Trez; 07-28-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

They can be rebarreled for 308. Springfield a few years back produced new 30-06 and 308 versions.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent