Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   looking for a long range rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/looking-long-range-rifle-75488/)

Buckethead47 11-02-2012 03:41 AM

looking for a long range rifle

So i have been looking for a decent long range rifle for hunting. but i also want it to have a second rail for a short range optic at a 45 dagree angle to the left incase a deer gets close with out me seeing it. and a bipod. i have been looking for a hunting rifle that is semi auto, and all i find are tactical rifles...

Garadex 11-02-2012 03:56 AM

You'll probably going to have to get a rifle and get the crap gunsmithed outa it. I would recommend a Browning BAR, others should be by with some other good suggestions.

USEBOTHHANDS 11-02-2012 04:41 AM

you want TWO scopes mounted on the thing?

DUDE, know your rifle, know your ballistics, and compensate for "up close" shots! DON'T make things complicated!!!

IF you are gonna put a long range scope on it, get one with a mil-dot system. that way you can sight it in @ whatever yardage.....100yds - 200 yds, and STILL be able to make the hold-over by using your mil-dot system when it comes to 500yds - 700 yds.

a .30-06 might take a lil longer than a .338 to get to you, but when it hits you @ 600yds, you are still gonna have a hole in your chest or gut.

Werminator 11-02-2012 06:48 AM

A .308 would also be a good range bullet. If you are concerned about the sudden close shot, get rings that allow you to look through them beneath your scope and use iron sights for that shot. My father uses a Remington 700bdl set up this way with great success. He took a doe last year at just over 200 yards through the woods with this rifle, chambered in. 243 for what its worth. I took a BIG 8 point last year with my Winchester 70 but my shot was much closer. Thankfully I saw the deer coming as I don't have irons on my rifle at all!

Werminator 11-02-2012 06:50 AM

Coincidentally I too shoot. 243. We have had great success with this cartridge. A friend of mine lives in Colorado and he hunts elk with his father-in-law both using rifles in this caliber... not my first choice but he has taken a couple nice animals...

heavyliftn 11-02-2012 03:02 PM

I have a FNAR 308 or it can be chambered with 7.62x51mm if you want to stretch out for long distance. It is the one in the picture. Yes its tactical but a great hunting rifle cause it is light even with a full 20 rd clip and yiu have the option of different cheek plates and recoil pads along with 5, 10, and 20 rd clips. Trigger has the option of 3 or 5 lb. I will say only thing it is a bit of a pain to clean the first couple of times til you get more fluent with it.

Buckethead47 11-03-2012 12:29 PM

I wasnt going to put two scopes, I was going to have a red dot on the side for things within 50 yards. I was thinking a .300 or a .308 round.that way if a deer comes from behind me I can still make that shot. at that close of a range a scope is useless.

locutus 11-03-2012 02:50 PM

Get a Browning BAR with a 2-7 scope in .30-06 or .308.

Keep the scope set at 2X unless you have a long range shot.

And remember that a sportsman doesn't shoot at game animals past 300 yards, so that scope set at 7X is more power than you'll ever need.

Werminator 11-03-2012 04:35 PM

I would agree here. Once you hit those types of ranges, your bullet can do it, but most likely most of us can't. At greater distances too many vaiables come into play. A clean kill without the animal suffering, or worse yet, being wounded to suffer or die later. I was fortunate that my first deer went down almost immediately, never taking a step. I think if I had hit it and watched it struggle I would likely have lost my desire to repeat the process.

Redneck420 11-03-2012 07:13 PM

Depends what you plan to do with it

I would recomend a m40a1 from mcmillian.com with federal premium match grade ammo.