Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking for a little information on my rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Looking for a little information on my rifle

Hello all,
I have a very well done custom Mauser action .338 Win Mag. I don't know very much about it other than it's an absolute tack driver and it's easy on the eyes. I inherited it, and it's been a safe queen for a long time now. If anyone has any information at all they can share I'd sure appreciate it. I don't even have the faintest clue what it might be worth for insurance purposes. Here are some pictures, hopefully someone here can help a guy out.

I have no idea how that hole got there.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #2

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Looks like a late 1950s or 1960s sporterized Mdl.98 WWII Mauser. Most likely a Bishop pre-inletted stock. I would have narrowed the trigger guard.
The "Hollow Head" bolt handles Ala Brownells parts were popular on all bolt guns of that time. These make great hunting rifles and the .338 Win. Mag is a great hunting round. The .338 is for some what advanced rifleman.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #3

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Looks like a late 1950s or 1960s sporterized Mdl.98 WWII Mauser. Most likely a Bishop pre-inletted stock. I would have narrowed the trigger guard.
The "Hollow Head" bolt handles Ala Brownells parts were popular on all bolt guns of that time. These make great hunting rifles and the .338 Win. Mag is a great hunting round. The .338 is for some what advanced rifleman.
Thank you very much! I put a Leupold 4x12 on it and sighted it in when I first got it. It did tend to get my attention when I pressed the trigger, and my shoulder was a might sore for a day or two after. So, I see what you're saying about it being for somewhat advanced riflemen (no scope eye here). Any idea about the approximate value? I have no interest in selling it, I'm just curious.

I have no idea how that hole got there.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20051 Times on 11404 Posts
Likes Given: 50589

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
Thank you very much! I put a Leupold 4x12 on it and sighted it in when I first got it. It did tend to get my attention when I pressed the trigger, and my shoulder was a might sore for a day or two after. So, I see what you're saying about it being for somewhat advanced riflemen (no scope eye here). Any idea about the approximate value? I have no interest in selling it, I'm just curious.
Deadeye, that is one beautiful rifle! very nice indeed.

might take it to a competent gunsmith and have it appraised. explain you want it appraised for insurance purposes, and have no intentions of selling, or he might lowball the value a bit.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #5

These sporterized rifles in many cases were made before suitable rifles were available. We have so many less expensive production rifles thru the "Big" box stores. This has caused these early sporters to lose some value.
The value in your rifle is more in how you value it. The sale price here in the Rocky Mtns. would be around $300 dollars.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

Very nice! Even with the big influx of mass produced inexpensive sporting bolt action rifles, there is still room for custom sporters based on military Mauser actions. I have several. There is just something special about owning a one of a kind sporter that has a military history that a mass produced rifle bought in a "mart" just can't compare to, especially in a classic caliber like yours. Your rifle is a real prize and the value is a minimum of $300 yet it should easily bring $500 in some markets. More sophisticated rifle forums will have a section on sporterized Mausers and there is a, maybe even though small, niche of rifle shooters who will have nothing else.
cottontop

Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Come on now Cotton? The rifleman on this forum are not "Sophisticated" gun owners? Do you read the post by AXX55 and old Robo Cop and others?
The old Mausers are interesting I have owned many of them. That said the new less expensive production arms have their edge. The old Mausers have a very long slow lock time. All modern actions budget or expensive have fast lock times.
There are so many new improved Ctgs. to choose from. The ammo has improved over the past century. Modern actions are needed to match these improvements. Some thoughts from a very unsoph$#&!!