looking for a lever action rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking for a lever action rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11
Pick up either an older Winchester, or Marlin lever action and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. This one happens to be a '94 SRC 38-55 mfg in the 1920's. This one's pricey, but a clean pre '64 30-30 can be had for a reasonable price. If a scope is needed for longer distance then get a bolt action.
Great looking rifle, I think I'm going to hold out for a winchester. I'll just save for one

Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
it's not just the barrel, the entire guns are now made by Remington. I'm sure some acceptable guns make it out of there factory but the overwhelming number of first hand reports of cocked sights, buggered screws, damaged or poorly fitted stocks, failure to cycle and guns that would not shoot within feet of POA make it impossible for me to trust current Marlin production.

Even on the Marlin Owners Group forum, which you would expect to be full of Marlin Fanboys, the threads are so full of complaints about current production they had to create a new sub-forum just for reports of substandard products purchased by forum members.
I take those type of reports with a huge bag of salt. Normally that sort of stuff is people parroting back rumors and those folks dont even own one of the guns being complained about.

I have yet to see a bad one in a store. Yet to see one on the range that wasnt a good shooter.

They are made in the new marlin factory by marlin people who have been making em for years under the marlin name on marlin machinery. Remington and marlin both fall under the same group.

Sometimes bad guns do make it out the door of all companies but it isnt the norm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #13

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I take those type of reports with a huge bag of salt. Normally that sort of stuff is people parroting back rumors and those folks dont even own one of the guns being complained about.
I'm well aware that you can find people ready to bad mouth any product you may chose with or without and real basis to the complaint. On the Internet you can find some people claiming every gun brand is junk. The Marlin complaints rise out of this usual background noise due to the sheer number, persistence, consistency and IMO believability of the reports. Certainly every gun they make isn't unusable junk but it seem far too mane are.

Every one of the things I mentioned previously was from first hand reports of people who purchased new Remington made Marlins. It may be that all those people were lying in some sort of conspiracy to discredit Marlin but you will excuse me if I chose to attribute some credence too them.

Quote:
They are made in the new marlin factory by marlin people who have been making em for years under the marlin name on marlin machinery.
No, they are made on new machinery in the Remington factory in NC and most of the former Marlin employees lost their jobs in the take over. This has been reported not only by customers but by the press and former employees.

I'm certainly not out to bash Marlin. I love their guns and had plans to buy several new before the repeated, credible reports of Remington's QC problems started to surface. Now I'm looking for good used guns although it looks like I never will be getting the 1894CSS I wanted, as the used ones I have seen were selling for 2-3X their original MSRP.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #14

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I found a 1989 marlin 336 chambered in .444 and it has a scope mounted to it already and he wants $400. Im trying to set up a time to go look at it. Does anyone know anything about the gun and the round? Dont know if this will help the OP but there are always options out there you just have to look for them. And i figure im at the best place to ask questions.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #15

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

This is the first time I have head of a 336 made for the 444. Generally they come in 30-30 & 35 Remington. Marlin does make a model 444 for that cartrage. It was made as a replacement for the 45-70.

Jim

Here is a Marlin 336C in 35 Remington

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #16

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats what the guy told me in a email. I will have to look at it when we set up a time. Ive looked up the model and it was made in .444 so i will have to see.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Is there anywhere online to run a Marlin serial number to see what year it was made?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Check cartridge availability before you buy it. Some rounds are extremely expensive. I looked at a Savage 99 in 250/3000 and ammo was $52 dollars for 20.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #19

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Check cartridge availability before you buy it. Some rounds are extremely expensive. I looked at a Savage 99 in 250/3000 and ammo was $52 dollars for 20.
If nothing else the .444 ammo will be much harder to find than either .30-30 or .45-70 is. Other than that it's a fine choice but for that reason alone I'd personally pick a gun in .30-30 or .45-70 instead. Used Marlin 336s in .30-30 are very common and easy to find for very reasonable prices.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I just checked out Ammo to go and it is $33 for 20 Leverlution 444. Also found some Rem Express in 250/3000 for $30. Trouble is he wants $460 +tax for the rifle.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-444-marlin

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 09-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.