looking for a lever action rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking for a lever action rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default looking for a lever action rifle

I don't know who makes a good lever action rifle or what I should even be looking for in one

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Winchester makes excellent lever guns unfortunately they have become IMO prohibitively expensive ($1000+).

Marlin used to make very good lever guns but since they were bought out and manufacturing moved to the Remington plant quality seems to have gone down the toilet. If you can find and older gun (say more than 5 years old) they are still an excellent choice.

Henry and Rossi both make decent levers although not IMO the same quality as Winchester or the older Marlins. I don't like the way Henry's load do if I was buying a new lever action today I'd probably look closely at Rossi.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1253 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal6 View Post
I don't know who makes a good lever action rifle or what I should even be looking for in one
Browning Lever Rifle in .308 Win

http://www.gunsamerica.com/922671443/Guns/Rifles/Browning-Rifles/Lever-Action/Browning_BL.htm

Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

i like the marlin 1895 in 45-70. ive got one of their 1895GBL. its a fantastic round for just about anything. other than caliber the two big differences in lever guns is top eject vs side eject. personally my preference is for side eject. side eject lever guns can be easier to scope if you so desire.

you will also hear people moaning about the safeties on the marlin guns but i think its a fantastic design since you can activate the safety on a loaded chamber and safely lower the hammer.

you will also hear people complaining about the barrels being made by remington and how much they suck. my marlin with a remington barrel is a MOA shooter at 100yds. they arent bad guns at all.

the marlins are good guns in my opinion. fit and finish on mine is superb. i special ordered it and didnt hand pick mine off a shelf so i got what i got and its a very nice looking gun. for the price you cant beat the performance and quality

ignore the fingerprints i forgot the wipe it down before taking pics

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-22-2012 at 08:00 PM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I got my (older) Marlin for two reasons:

1.-You can mount a scope more easily with a side ejection.

2.-The insanely beautiful furniture, as illustrated by the

post above.

JonM, is that also Black Walnut?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
you will also hear people complaining about the barrels being made by remington and how much they suck. my marlin with a remington barrel is a MOA shooter at 100yds. they arent bad guns at all.
it's not just the barrel, the entire guns are now made by Remington. I'm sure some acceptable guns make it out of there factory but the overwhelming number of first hand reports of cocked sights, buggered screws, damaged or poorly fitted stocks, failure to cycle and guns that would not shoot within feet of POA make it impossible for me to trust current Marlin production.

Even on the Marlin Owners Group forum, which you would expect to be full of Marlin Fanboys, the threads are so full of complaints about current production they had to create a new sub-forum just for reports of substandard products purchased by forum members.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #7

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
Winchester makes excellent lever guns unfortunately they have become IMO prohibitively expensive ($1000+).

Marlin used to make very good lever guns but since they were bought out and manufacturing moved to the Remington plant quality seems to have gone down the toilet. If you can find and older gun (say more than 5 years old) they are still an excellent choice.

Henry and Rossi both make decent levers although not IMO the same quality as Winchester or the older Marlins. I don't like the way Henry's load do if I was buying a new lever action today I'd probably look closely at Rossi.
I got a Rossi 92 puma In stainless which is based on the Winchester, the furniture is basic but the action is much smoother.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7652 Times on 4598 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

I have my heart set on a Henry Lever action rifle.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #9

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
I got a Rossi 92 puma In stainless which is based on the Winchester, the furniture is basic but the action is much smoother.
Much smoother than what?? My Buddy has a Puma in .45lc. Although good it does not compair to my EMF Hartford 1892, also made by Rossi but w/ a much better fit and finish.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #10

Liked 503 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Pick up either an older Winchester, or Marlin lever action and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. This one happens to be a '94 SRC 38-55 mfg in the 1920's. This one's pricey, but a clean pre '64 30-30 can be had for a reasonable price. If a scope is needed for longer distance then get a bolt action.