Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Rifle Discussion (
-   -   Looking for information about gun. (photos included) (

Boyerracing343 01-24-2011 11:12 PM

Looking for information about gun. (photos included)
Anyone know anything about this bolt action rifle? The markings on it are either Japanese or Chinese.

I am going to apologize now for the photos not being the best quality. They are not terrible, but could have been better. Sorry everyone.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

cpttango30 01-24-2011 11:47 PM

That is a Jap Arisaka Type 38 Made between 1923 and 1945 at Nagoya Arsenal.

It should be chambered in 6.5x50mm. It has been sporterized so it may be chambered in something different.

I can't tell if the mum is still intact it doesn't look like it is from your pictures.

They are brute strong actions. Not known for accuracy but they are strong as an ox. About as cute as the north end of a south bound bull dog after it got hit my a lawn mower.

More information on it here.

Boyerracing343 01-24-2011 11:50 PM

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the information. I was completely clueless about this rifle and was hoping to learn about it. Thumbs up tango.

robocop10mm 01-25-2011 09:11 PM

Judging by the stock, the barrel has likely been replaced. The smith that did the work would probably have stamped the barrel with the caliber. Look on the left side of the barrel about 2-4 inches forward of the receiver. If no caliber is stamped (and probably even if one is stamped) you should have a gunsmith make a chamber casting with Cerrosafe to determine chamber dimensions/caliber.

Boyerracing343 01-25-2011 09:41 PM

Robocop, thank you for your imput. I have a gunsmith i planned on taking it to so he could check it out and tell me whats up. I already have a few guns at his house so once i go pick them out, i plan to take this one along with a few others to drop off.