looking for ideas/help on new guns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking for ideas/help on new guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I will also throw in a vote for Ruger and their many handgun options! I firmly believe that Sig, Smith, Colt, Springfield, etc. all offer fine weapons but when SHTF my sidearm or choice will be my SR9 no question about it... I have several thousand rounds through it in the last 18months or so and it has not missed a beat once... Reliable as can be... I have fed it all kinds of crap ammo and some of the good stuff and never been let down...

I think the .308 is a great round and you can find ammo for reasonable prices... No where near as cheap as surplus or bulk like the surplus 5.56, 7.62x54, or even 7.62x39 but certainly a round that provides good bang for the buck...

Your Mosin should be more than capable of a 500 yard shot with some practice... Probably need to mount a solid optic of some sort so YOU can make the shot but the 7.62x54 round is a very capable bullet that hits hard... Infact, it is ballistically between the .308 and the .30-06... Two well known sledgehammers in the bullet world. The only trouble is the triggers were not precise... That said, I am using one of my Mosins to build a scout type rifle... Should be great for hunting...

The Mossberg is a sold performer in its own right, but for me the pump release is in the wrong spot... On top of the receiver??? Should have copied Remingtons 870...

I have limited experience with the Taurus line, but if I were putting my money into a purchase, I would continue my hunt elsewhere. One of my employees carries a Taurus as his CCW but the impression I get is that he is not entirely confident in its reliability... He has seen several times where it didn't throw spent brass clear of the chamber and consequently jammed... He loved his judge revolver but it was too bulky for concealed carry.

Firearms purchases are fun because no matter how many you have... there's always one caliber or action or feel you still want to add to the collection... My favorite so far is probably the Norinco SKS I bought last summer... I am fairly confident in the potency of the round and with grain softpoints I was keeping 5 round groups under 3 inches at 81 yards through open sights... Not everytime but more than half my groups held this consistency... My Winchester model 70 in .243 is a tack driver at a couple hundred yards... I don;t know... I want em all!!!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8720 Times on 5043 Posts
Likes Given: 11334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Ruger does make some nice revolver's,and they are very reliable.You will need to get the trigger worked on right off the bat,though.They're very heavy to pull!
I got a set of springs for my Ruger GP100 (available through Brownells http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26249/Product/RGP-103-PRO-SPRING-KIT-FOR-RUGER-reg-GP-100 )
that I can mix and match myself for $20 (got them at a gun show... better price through Brownells online!) Pretty simple to put in, but I don't think I would do it at the range. Anyhow, the trigger is very nice now and I plan on making it even better with a trigger job (done myself). I am doing each step one at a time so if something goes wrong I only have to go back one step to fix it. Tedious but worth the effort. Plus you can see what each improvement does for you.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

OK so for what i gather Taurus revolvers are OK. there semi auto pistols not OK. for a varmint rifle was gonna work with my my 22lr for now. as for a semi auto pistol who should i go with. was thinking next purchase to be a Taurus 357 mag revolver descent gun for the money (400), siaga .308 good reliability decent accuracy (750) or a Ruger gunsite scout .308 (750) trying to work with a short budget and try to get decent guns as i can.

Last edited by DKT916; 02-21-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #14

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

The Ruger gunsite scout is not a target rifle. I'm sure it's accurate enough, but I'd rather have the American Rifle for hunting/targets. Probably comparable accuracy for half the price.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary