looking for a hard hitting low recoil rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

looking for a hard hitting low recoil rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, you finally decide that the 30-06 is the caliber that meets all your recoil and performance requirements, as it and a dozen others will. You are out on your elk hunt and see an elk at 400 yards, your maximum range. Your rifle is sighted in to hit 1.5 inches high at one hundred yards, the elk is broad side facing to the right and there is a 10 mile per hour wind blowing from 3 to 9 o'clock. Question, where do you hold to make a clean kill? How much drop; how much bullet drift will you have to adjust for to keep from gut shooting that elk? If you can't answer that question in a matter of seconds why in the heck do you want to take the chance of wounding one of the most magnificant animals that walks North American, or any other animal for that matter. Why has 400 yards become the magic number for maximum range so many hunters now want to shoot; probably because we read about writers in gun magazines doing it. Listen, you may be part of the very small percent who can do it consistently, I hope so for that elk's sake. How many rounds have you or any of us shot at 200 yards in preparation for hunting season? One could probably count them on the thumb of our right hand, if that many.

I will climb down off my soap box and close with the one of the lines from Dirty Harry, "Man's got to know his limitations", and this applys doubly when we are enjoying our hunting privileges which quite a few people would like to take away form us.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #12

You cannot repeal the laws of physics. If it hits hard on one end, it will hit hard on the other end, too.

Fast Ed

Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Fast Ed. No question about the laws of physics. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I used to love tp hear people taslk about how far a .45 ACP would knock a man down; blow them right off their feet! Did you ever see a man knocked off their feet when they pulled the trigger? My big issue is why everyone now seems to want to "Try / Risk" a 400 yard + shot on game. I was a Master Class high power shooter and know what wind can do to the bullet path. I am also darn well out of practice dopeing wind and limit shots to 300 yards. More then that, get closer!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3496 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ed View Post
You cannot repeal the laws of physics. If it hits hard on one end, it will hit hard on the other end, too.

Fast Ed
I don't know if I can agree with that statement. While I see where you are going with the thought, there are a LOT of good things that can be done to practically deaden the shooter felt recoil on, say a magnum caliber, while still preserving the rounds lethality.
  • Weight of the gun ( 20 pound versus 8 pound )
  • Muzzle Break
  • Top Quality Recoil Pad
  • Mercury Vial ( not used much anymore but definitely reduces recoil )
And that list doesn't even factor in what a company like Barrett is doing with their .50BMG & .416 line up.

Physical damage to the shooter is not a guarantee anymore if you build it right.

JD

Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #15

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
Ive been looking and have finally decided that it would be best for me, to have a rifle that hits hard, and has medium to low recoil. I will be hunting everything from deer, to moose. I would like to be able to shoot out to 400 yards on deer and elk. Does anyone have any suggestions?
338 win mag or 338 lapua mag. Very acurate and hit hard as hell. Co-worker took an elk at 560 yards. one shot kill

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #16

I was glad to see some others sing the praises of the 6.5x55 Swede....GREAT round. However, I would make $%#&^*( sure I could make the shot at a moose at 400 yards....it isn't ideal for that task...but with a deer sized target, I highly recommend it...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Just picked up a .300 win mag after a bunch of research. Only shot it once and haven't got it even close to dialed in, but the recoil is definitely there, but manageable. I was set on a 30-06, due to ammo availability, etc. but the fellows @ the gun shop (very experienced) tried talking me outta a 30-06, but I ordered one anyways, only to call up the next business day and request my shipment stopped and .300 win mag as it's replacement. I'll post up some pics after it's done and mated with it's temp. scope.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #18

Dillinger's comments are correct, there are ways to mitigate recoil. However, adding weight to a rifle makes it, well, heavier, same with mercury recoil reducers. Harder to carry around. Muzzle breaks are noisy and most guys I know take them off when they hunt and only use them for sighting in. The new recoil pads, however, are a Godsend. They work by spreading out the recoil impulse over a longer period of time, so it doesn't hit as hard. Stock design also has a lot to do with how a rifle feels when it hits you.

The best hunters I know brag about how close they got before they shot, not how far the shot was. I know some really good shooters that take very long shots, 600 + yards, but I always ask them, "Couldn't you get any closer?"

Tuner's advise should be heeded. I also shoot High Power. The first match I ever shot had a 20 mph wind from left to right. We were aiming 4' left of center to get the bullet in the black at 600 yards.

A typical .30-06 firing a typical 165 grain bullet will have about 12" of wind deflection at 400 yards with a 10 mph crosswind. You have to be able to determine that deflection within the time you have to shoot or you miss, or worse, gut shoot something.

I have a couple of rifles that are capable of taking animals cleanly at 500 yards with regard to accuracy and energy. That doesn't mean I am capable of it. We shoot at 600 yards regularly in matches, but that is at a known distance with sighters to see if our wind calls are correct, and with loads and rifles we are intimately familiar with. We shoot prone, with a very tight sling, wearing special shooting coats on mats with rubber pads to hold us in position. None of that occurs in the field, except you should be intimately familiar with the rifle and load.

Here's how to test yourself. Take a standard 10" paper plate. Shoot it with the gun and load you pick for hunting. The distance you can hit the plate from hunting positions on the first shot, each and every time, in different light and wind conditions is the distance you should limit your hunting shots to. It may be different for standing, kneeling, sitting and prone, but don't take a shot at a distance that you can't hit the paper plate at. Whatever animal you are hunting deserves your respect. Kill it cleanly.

Fast Ed

Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #19

The 7mm mag or the 300 mag / short mag any of the three are good choices.
I shoot the 300mag. The rounds are cheeper than the short mag rounds.
I also shoot Moose(swamp donkies) elk . Deer And of course Bears Black and Griz. It has the penetration power for the heavier hided and boned Moose and bears but can also shoot a lighter grain for deer.It has a flat tragectorie and as for Moose and a 308 well after 100 yards even with the180gr. if you strike a shoulder blade I dont feel it will have the hydro static shock value to make a humane kill .
That is my opinion you dont have to agree but it is food for thought.