Looking to get my first ar - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking to get my first ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Its like a person who eats everything,if you eat good foods your body functions properly. a person can eat alot of junk with no visual problems, BUT eventually it can foul up your internals and cause problems. Wolf ammo may function properly and feed fine,but wolf ammo contains ALOT of corrosive materials that can eventually pit up your barrel and cause problems with your gas/piston system and the steel casings are laquer coated which can eventually foul your BCG.nothing against using it,just be sure and give her a really good thorough cleaning after every firing session with it.
Not true, read my last post.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #22

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Well this is a little more re-assuring. I'm getting the federal brass at my local store for $125 per case of 500 and it's almost hard to find steel at that price. I'll keep it in mind for when I run out if they don't have the brass on sale still.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant View Post
Well this is a little more re-assuring. I'm getting the federal brass at my local store for $125 per case of 500 and it's almost hard to find steel at that price. I'll keep it in mind for when I run out if they don't have the brass on sale still.
$125 OTD for new brass is good. I wouldn't pass it up either.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #24

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

$125 OTD for new brass is good. I wouldn't pass it up either.
$125 plus an 8% tax. Still not a bad price though compared to what I've seen on the web.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #25

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Not true, read my last post.
Its been roughly 10 years since i have used any wolf and they may have changed their formula a little bit. Back then i bought a whole case of 1,000rds,me and some fellow officers would go out to the range and spend half the day shooting. We always cleaned our rifles before we left and mine was always filthier than my buddies were that used brass ammo. I dont know it they still do it but they used to have it wrote on the boxes that they use a highly corrosive powder and advise to clean the weapon after every use.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Its been roughly 10 years since i have used any wolf and they may have changed their formula a little bit. Back then i bought a whole case of 1,000rds,me and some fellow officers would go out to the range and spend half the day shooting. We always cleaned our rifles before we left and mine was always filthier than my buddies were that used brass ammo. I dont know it they still do it but they used to have it wrote on the boxes that they use a highly corrosive powder and advise to clean the weapon after every use.
Not anymore.

I can go through 500 rounds in a fairly short range trip. My AR stays fairly warm as I like to shoot like I would if I were using it for what it was made for. I by no means am a "hard use" kinda guy but I enjoy shooting w/ some tempo.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 12-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugernut
Bushmaster is a beter choice , the guy that I work for has a smith and wesson it will start jamming after 60 to 100 rounds and every body that I no has a bushmaster likes them and I had had a stag and I put 3200 rounds threw it without cleaning it started to jam after that many rounds
Why wait till the gun gets jammed to clean it I like to clean after done shooting

Old 12-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721
Buy a stripped lower and piece it together that's where the fun is. That way you can install the type of trigger system and everything else you want.
And its cheaper cuz the tax doesnt add up as all of it being a gun

Old 12-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant

I picked up about 2k rounds of federal 55gr and that is all that has been through my rifle. I am skeptical of shooting steel case ammo, only brass leaves my chamber.
I put about two thousand rounds of steal cassing threw mine it took alot of accuracy away and probably 1200 rounds of brass I would not shoot steel casing

Old 12-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugernut View Post
I put about two thousand rounds of steal cassing threw mine it took alot of accuracy away and probably 1200 rounds of brass I would not shoot steel casing
If you're shooting off a bench then I'd go with some match type ammo but if you're shooting your AR as it was intended then MOM is fine. Russian stuff is more than capable of minute of man all day long.

It has a lot to do w/ personal use/taste. I am not a bench rest shooter. It's boring and not practical for me as I'm not a hunter and mostly shoot w/ defense in mind.

The extra shooting I can afford do to using steel makes a big difference. It adds up to quite a bit.

Now when purchasing defense ammo cost is rarely an issue.

-John Ruskin

Quote: