Looking to get my first ar - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Looking to get my first ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke2209 View Post
Mostly costs was looking at some Dpms but a friend had one said that he didn't like it as much as a s & w something about how dpms were bought out from someone and haven't been the same would really like a sig 516 but dont know if I could wait it out to save up for it
What type of shooting will you be doing? Range? Amount?

What is your budget including optic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant

Never had a jam Or FTF with my smith and Wesson. Been a great firearm for all my purposes.
Maby his gun is messed up or something wat kind of ammo do you shoot in yours

Old 12-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #13

MJKEAT asked a good question...what type of shooting will you be doing...plinking? precision? hunting? a combo? Just remember, if you want an AR for hunting, check with your state's Department of Fish and Game for minimum caliber requirements.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #14

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugernut

Maby his gun is messed up or something wat kind of ammo do you shoot in yours
I picked up about 2k rounds of federal 55gr and that is all that has been through my rifle. I am skeptical of shooting steel case ammo, only brass leaves my chamber.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

What type of shooting will you be doing? Range? Amount?

What is your budget including optic?
Range mostly 2 to 3 times a week I have a sightmark sight that picked up at a gun show for a good price

Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke2209 View Post
Range mostly 2 to 3 times a week I have a sightmark sight that picked up at a gun show for a good price
How far out will your targets be?

Running drills or just shooting off a rest?

There are many different ARs available from commercial grade on up and one to fit you depending on your intended use.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant View Post
I picked up about 2k rounds of federal 55gr and that is all that has been through my rifle. I am skeptical of shooting steel case ammo, only brass leaves my chamber.
Im curious as to why.

Quote:

Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #18

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Im curious as to why.
I would like to be told otherwise. I have read that it's only good to shoot brass. I read that ammo like Wolf can cause problems. Any personal experience on this ?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #19

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant

I would like to be told otherwise. I have read that it's only good to shoot brass. I read that ammo like Wolf can cause problems. Any personal experience on this ?
Its like a person who eats everything,if you eat good foods your body functions properly. a person can eat alot of junk with no visual problems, BUT eventually it can foul up your internals and cause problems. Wolf ammo may function properly and feed fine,but wolf ammo contains ALOT of corrosive materials that can eventually pit up your barrel and cause problems with your gas/piston system and the steel casings are laquer coated which can eventually foul your BCG.nothing against using it,just be sure and give her a really good thorough cleaning after every firing session with it.

Last edited by MrWray; 12-19-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant View Post
I do have. I shoot Tula quite frequently in fact it's the majority of what I shoot in my ARs. The only time I don't shoot steel is during a 3gun match and at the indoor range, only because they don't allow it.

I'm at roughly 2k w/o cleaning this summer. Still going strong. I usually shoot more steel but 3gun burnt up a lot of my budget.

The only issues I know of are w/ the extractor over time and a timing issue. The extractor can wear faster due to the steel case but is cheap to replace. The timing issue (FTF,FTE) is more often than not an issue w/ the AR itself. It can be fixed w/ a lighter buffer.

Quote: