Looking to get my first ar
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking to get my first ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Looking to get my first ar

S & W or Bushmaster

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bushmaster is a beter choice , the guy that I work for has a smith and wesson it will start jamming after 60 to 100 rounds and every body that I no has a bushmaster likes them and I had had a stag and I put 3200 rounds threw it without cleaning it started to jam after that many rounds

Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buy a stripped lower and piece it together that's where the fun is. That way you can install the type of trigger system and everything else you want.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

I have a couple of ARs one is a DPMS that I got when I was 18 and a smith & wesson that I got couple years ago and I have nor had any problems with it at all
Zero jams or malfunctions!

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I own 2 Bushmasters, 1 Rock River, 1 Superior Arms and one other. All the main manufacturers' guns will do you right. I would not hesitate to buy one and set it up for my shooting needs. I'd use a red dot scope for high speed (general tactical work) or mount a 3 by 9 variable power scope on it for precision shooting. As for a bi-pod you can get one permanently attached to the rifle or one that is detachable. Either kind will work for your shooting needs.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugernut
Bushmaster is a beter choice , the guy that I work for has a smith and wesson it will start jamming after 60 to 100 rounds and every body that I no has a bushmaster likes them and I had had a stag and I put 3200 rounds threw it without cleaning it started to jam after that many rounds
Never had a jam Or FTF with my smith and Wesson. Been a great firearm for all my purposes.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #7

Why S&W or Bushmaster??? Any particular reason??? I would look around at all the different manufacturers to see what's available and the different features each one offers. Once you have an idea of what you want, go to as many gunshows as it takes and get your hands on them...it'll help with getting an actual feel for it. Don't get me wrong, Bushmaster is a good choice, but so is Stag Arms, Rock River Arms, DPMS, so forth and so on.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 12-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'll ask the same question, Why did you choose those 2, is it a price thing? Were they the only 2 options at your LGS?

The S&W is the better choice of the 2 but there are much better ARs for roughly the same price out there and in the long run they are much better values. Actually once you figure out their deficiencies and replace all thats lacking you will have spent more money.

The AR sub forum is a great place to visit for info on ARs.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Mostly costs was looking at some Dpms but a friend had one said that he didn't like it as much as a s & w something about how dpms were bought out from someone and haven't been the same would really like a sig 516 but dont know if I could wait it out to save up for it

Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #10

I have to agree with Tiberiuos hat piecing one together is a lot of fun but not necessarily the most economical. I think I have seen a S&W at Wally for about 7 bills. If most are mill spec they should be close to the same except for the obvious enhancements.