Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking to get into the long range spectrum of shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Looking to get into the long range spectrum of shooting

So the past few years (since I was old enough to read and shoot(don't ask which came first ) I've always been interested in long range rifles. I want to get into taking some longer distance shots. So step 1 I need to do some research (on requirements out of both the shooter and the rifle) Well I've read quite a bit about it but now (step 2) I need to find a rifle, currently I'm looking at a Romanian PSL and thinking about buying that. But I would also be interested in hearing about other rifle that would suit my purposes. My price range is around 1,200$. So any suggestions on a rifle would be appreciated. And any suggestions tips hints help on learning more about long range shooting would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time you took reading my long winded question that could've been a little less lengthy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Be very careful of the PSL's out there now. They are parts kits and accuracy is not always the greatest. Ammo for the PSL is another issue. Not all light ball is the same, so it will vary greatly in poi. Never use heavy ball in a PSL. Are you set on a semi auto?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd really recommend a good bolt action rifle. Hunting or competition? My own preference is a Winchester model 70. 300 win mag or 7 mm rem mag. But I hear good things about the big .338's.

Optics is another big concern. You can't hit what you can't see. I like Vortex scopes. Quality glass that isn't outrageous. I use a Viper 6.5-20x50.

Might want to check out a good range finder. Doesn't matter how good you shoot if you don't know the range. Big drop from 600 to 800 yards. Even bigger to 1000. You don't wanna miss that monster elk do ya?

If you're serious about it, speaking from my own experience, get quality stuff to start with. I bought a less expensive rifle, now I've found it's limit is about 600 yards. So now I'll have to spend more to rebarrel it, when I'm already $750 into my rifle alone. If I'd have just started with a better gun, I'd have saved money in the long run.

And jpattersonnh know what he's talking about. If you don't agree with him, you're probably wrong. If I see he commented, I usually read it.

Wait, was this thing on?

Last edited by theropinfool; 02-21-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Actually not set on semi auto, it's preferred but not 100% necessary I was looking at a few bolt action savages today that spoke to me a bit. Thanks for the wisdom, like I said I know next to nothin and I'm here to learn so If I say something completely stupid I apologize

Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't be afraid to ask questions! These forums are great - some are better than others - the more you read and post replies sooner or later if you ask a silly question somebody will let you know! Just grow a thick skin and don't take it personal. I guarantee you, even ole jpattersonnh can learn something from a thread where sombody asked a "stupid" question. Asking about which rifle is a good starter long range weapon is as good a question as any other I have read here.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am a Savage fan. The main reason is because it is so easy to change barrels and you can do it yourself vary easily, as long as you know how to head space. As for long range shooting you will need a barrel with a fast twist to shoot heavy, ( high BC bullets). You will also need a good range finder if you are going to do it in the field. I have 2 calibers I useing for long range coyote shooting. They are the 224 TTH and the 6-284. The 224 TTH is the better coyote cal. but the 6-284 will do deer also. If your wanting to get real serious the 338 Lapua is great, but cost alot to shoot and build. If your talking 1000 yrds. and being competive it may be worth the cost. You will also need a good drop chart to know what to dial in for elevation. You will also need to have wind drift on your chart. If your looking for a factory round one of the 300 mags. would be good or the 7 mm Rem. mag. The 338 Win. mag. has alittle advantage, but their heavy bullets ten to rickochet worse. Look through you loading manual and find something that shoots heavy bullets, for caliber, fast that you think you would like. I would also recomand Leupold scopes. They track great, and that is absolutely nessary for long range shooting.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM3TenraiSS
So the past few years (since I was old enough to read and shoot(don't ask which came first ) I've always been interested in long range rifles. I want to get into taking some longer distance shots. So step 1 I need to do some research (on requirements out of both the shooter and the rifle) Well I've read quite a bit about it but now (step 2) I need to find a rifle, currently I'm looking at a Romanian PSL and thinking about buying that. But I would also be interested in hearing about other rifle that would suit my purposes. My price range is around 1,200$. So any suggestions on a rifle would be appreciated. And any suggestions tips hints help on learning more about long range shooting would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time you took reading my long winded question that could've been a little less lengthy.
How far would you consider to be "long range"? Also, are you going to be shooting long range for competition, or just as a hobby?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you want to get into the long range stuff I would first recommend finding a shooting range that has a 1000 yard firing line. Then I would go there and find the clubs that shoot 1000 yards. Meet and greet these folks. See what they are using and go from there with the rifle. Many of these shooters will have good used rigs for sale and they are already set up. Good for a beginner. A good number these clubs will have a clinic they put on or sponser once a year or so for the new long range shooter. I find this is something you have to physically do and not get confused by many others opinions you can find on the internet about long range shooting. Thats not to say theres not some good info on the internet, but that this type of shooting is more about doing and not just reading. Hands on stuff is critical here with some good mentors to keep you on track and help you progress while your learning this sport.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-21-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
If you want to get into the long range stuff I would first recommend finding a shooting range that has a 1000 yard firing line. Then I would go there and find the clubs that shoot 1000 yards. Meet and greet these folks. See what they are using and go from there with the rifle. Many of these shooters will have good used rigs for sale and they are already set up. Good for a beginner. A good number these clubs will have a clinic they put on or sponser once a year or so for the new long range shooter. I find this is something you have to physically do and not get confused by many others opinions you can find on the internet about long range shooting. Thats not to say theres not some good info on the internet, but that this type of shooting is more about doing and not just reading. Hands on stuff is critical here with some good mentors to keep you on track and help you progress while your learning this sport.
Great advice. There aren't any 1000 yard ranges in my area but that would a great place to start if there were. If you can't find a 1000 yard range then you need to figure out what the furthest you are going to be able to shoot will be, and then go from there.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a piece of property just north of 900 yards that I use for shooting it used to be a clay mine but now its all flat and level with 1 small burm at 500 yds and one gigantic burm at the end of the property, I was a member of a shooting club once but it was an odd club that required me to sell raffle tickets n all kinds of crazy nonsense so I quit. Rights now I'm leaning towards the Savage I was looking at today. I'm not looking to make any thousand yard shots yet but somewhere between 5 and 6 hundred yds to start.