Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   looking to buy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/looking-buy-20748/)

chip102 12-04-2009 09:56 PM

looking to buy

Hey guys,
I am not new to guns or shooting or anything. I have been target shooting occasionally for the past 8 years with a .22, and a fancy myself fairly good. I am looking to buy my own rifle now and wanted to get something with more punch than a .22. I am a fan of lever action and was thinking of this. used Winchester 94AE 30-30 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $349.00
I, however, live in MA and as you may know, the closer you are to the city the more hostility towards firearms you encounter. I am in college, so i still live with my mum, and she doesn't like guns. Some of you may tell me that im 18 now and i can do what I want, but I respect my mother and wouldnt dare burn any bridges by going against her on this. I was wondering if any of you had any input on that rifle or any suggestion of how to convince my mum that havering the rifle in the house under lock and key when not in use is not a bad think.

thanks

dteed4094 12-04-2009 11:01 PM

Why you should own a gun.

You should own a gun for the same reason you should vote; To exercise your constitutional right and responsibility as a U.S. citizen. Ma. is not crime free. Australia's crime rate tripled when they made it illegal to own a gun. The criminals know you can't protect yourself.

TXnorton 12-05-2009 11:11 AM

A Winchester M94 in.30-30 is a nice rifle, A Marlin 336 "may" be a better quality piece, but the Winchester is just too classic. Either is a fun shoot. THE most important thing is to buy what YOU want. You have to be happy everytime you take it out and shoot it.

Can't help you with your Mother. Logic is most often not in the equation when dealing with people who are anti-gun, so there is no way to win in any discussions with them. However, if you are living in her house, you should respect her rules and obey them willingly.

You are 18 and you have plenty of time.

hunter Joe 12-05-2009 01:58 PM

Go with mom to a firearm safety course and then take her out shooting. It usually the unknown that scares us.

A journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step. Lao Tzu

chip102 12-06-2009 03:08 AM

well i am going to sit with her and try to reason when i get home for break in a week.

the rifle i was looking at sold so i am now looking at this GunsAmerica - Marlin model 336 RC 30-30 - Marlin Rifles > Modern > Lever Action - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H
does anyone know if this rifle is covered under the MA FID regulations or if i need a LTC B for it. I don't know why MA cant just consider a rifle a rifle. They have more exceptions and and funky rules than the English language. I am like 85% sure my FID covers it though.

thanks

Laufer 12-07-2009 06:27 AM

chip:
Please excuse my long observations about many people living near or in certain towns with large universities.
There seem to be more universities and colleges not only in MA but in Boston, than I have ammo rounds for my MN 44 (1,100).
Such areas can be hostile towards traditions such as gun ownership and towards traditional values.

Other areas of the US such as (UC) Berkeley, CA, (UW) Madison, WI etc are stuffed full of students, academics, and among various legal types, left-wing (some former radical) attorneys and others who cluster in the surroundings due to the high tolerance of not only Bohemian, but unpatriotic elements, and believe that theories about morality and political correctness will transform all professional criminals and other low-lifes into productive, law-abiding citizens.
They hope to impress young impressionable students and full-time shop clerks etc that when a criminal commits a felony etc, it is because of their childhoods, not their decisions, and maybe the fault of the middle and upper economic classes, especially conservatives, many of which worked their way up via education and hard work.

They often don't want young minds to realize that those who become criminals also had the chance to study, work, or both, towards a long-term goal, but decided not to....
You've probably noticed the contrasts between various urban areas, being in New England.

My son is 21 and if he gets a job next year writing sports articles for a paper somewhere, he will need to avoid falling prey to the insidious, subtle leftist agenda of some media outlets and sources regarding most current topics, and not just guns. Some media networks are more moderate than others. Notice that Lou Dobbs just left CNN due to conflicts.

This is their craft and and is polished, almost perfected to a very high level of eloquence and subtle persuasion.

jpattersonnh 12-09-2009 01:33 AM

Chip, Where are you in Mass.? I'm a short drive up 93 in NH. If you are close you may want to check out Rileys for a used lever action as Whitetail season is coming to a close and folks tend to sell at this time of year. I have a couple levers you can check out. I would also suggest bringing Mom. Your FID lets you own non high capasity longarms(10 rounds or less). Good luck and let me know if I can help. JP
http://www.carverpolice.org/images/Guncontrolact.pdf

chip102 12-09-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 196533)
Chip, Where are you in Mass.? I'm a short drive up 93 in NH. If you are close you may want to check out Rileys for a used lever action as Whitetail season is coming to a close and folks tend to sell at this time of year. I have a couple levers you can check out. I would also suggest bringing Mom. Your FID lets you own non high capasity longarms(10 rounds or less). Good luck and let me know if I can help. JP
http://www.carverpolice.org/images/Guncontrolact.pdf

i might check it out after i talk with her, I have always been responsible and able to reason with her, so i think i might be able to convince her that i will be safe. I already have a locking gun case and a trigger lock.
BTW. I am 20 min north of Boston off 93.

Also, I have read mixed things about this. If I buy a long arm in another state do i or dont i have to have it shipped between dealers or can i drive it cross state lines?

jpattersonnh 12-09-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip102 (Post 196605)
i might check it out after i talk with her, I have always been responsible and able to reason with her, so i think i might be able to convince her that i will be safe. I already have a locking gun case and a trigger lock.
BTW. I am 20 min north of Boston off 93.

Also, I have read mixed things about this. If I buy a long arm in another state do i or dont i have to have it shipped between dealers or can i drive it cross state lines?

You can buy long arms here and take them accross the border, perfectly legal. Handguns are out. I use to work in Everett. It was a 50 minute commute.