looking to build a Mauser action rifle in 300 Win Mag - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking to build a Mauser action rifle in 300 Win Mag

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

My action is a m98 by the way. I bought it straight from mauser through my mentor.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: agoura hills,California
Posts: 57
Default

well its a m43 spanish mauser, all numbers match except bolt handle, but i just customized it for hunting, re finished, re crowned, re blue'd, scope etc... etc..
but i want something that will shoot out to 1,000 yards+
so i wanted the reliability of a mauser action, with that 300 WM round

photo-16-.jpg  
__________________
sharpshooter5647 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter5647 View Post
well its a m43 spanish mauser, all numbers match except bolt handle, but i just customized it for hunting, re finished, re crowned, re blue'd, scope etc... etc..
but i want something that will shoot out to 1,000 yards+
so i wanted the reliability of a mauser action, with that 300 WM round
well to be honest, it's possible but when you talk about wanting to shoot at that range, to build a rifle capable of beaing able to, well get ready to spend lots of money. my advice, would be to start from the ground up. new receiver from one of the aftermarket builders, such as Montana Rifle, Stolle, Surgeon, BAT and several others, then get a barrelmaker to fit it with a heavy fluted barrel from such as Shilen, Kreiger, Douglas, McGowen, ect. then there is the stock and bedding, trigger, and assorted other items. then there's the scope, plan on about $1000 to start, because the longer the distance, quality optics to see long range clearly get expensive. plan on 6-12 months on the build, because everything is going to custom made. to achieve your goal with the rifle you already have, the only thing that will be left is the action, and it's going to have to be reworked too.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrm14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 2,382
Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Just my scope alone cost $3074.00. You can however get less expensive ones like Night Force or even less a Leupold MKIV. Some are having luck with Vortex but they're still around $1000.00. On my 300 WM target rifle I'm using a Remington 700 receiver housing that has been trued by Krieger and the bolt is a PT&G. So I just am using the housing of the original reciever only which I spent $$ to have trued. I spent about $4200.00 for parts and all work done for this rifle. That doesn't include scope. This rifle and scope combination cost just over $7200.00

The rifle I'm having built now is a short action switch barrel with one barrel in 260 Rem. caliber and the other in 308 Win caliber. The reciever is a Surgeons 591. The 260 Rem has very close to similar exterior ballistic characteristicts of the 300 WM. The 308 Win barrel is for practice. The barrel life thing. This build is costing me 4976.00 and that doesn't include the scope. So with the scope and the new rifle the total cost will be $8050.00 a bit expensive but it is a switch barrel rifle. Both these rifles, the 300 and the switch barrel, take about 8 to 9 months to be built. Krieger barrels and McMillan Rifles performed all the work on the 300WM. A local gunsmith here in California is building the switch barrel rifle.

In these competitions hardly anyone is using a long acion let alone a magnum calibers here. Thats not to say that some, like myself, use long action magnum calibers. The 6mm and 6.5 mm calibers appear to dominate this sport. The 308 Win. is used also and is good for beginners to 1000 yards I feel mostly due to its longer barrel life and availabity of factory target ammunition.

__________________
A good piece of glass is like a fine piece of ass. There is no known substitute known to man, and neither are cheap.
mrm14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

custom built rifles can be very expensive, and accurate custom built rifles made to shoot very long distances can be much more expensive. accuracy is kind of like horsepower and hot rods, it's just a question of money. how much can you afford? another aspect of long range shooting is the reloading and working up accurate loads, specific to the rifle. most people who shoot long range, reload to fine tune the ammo to the rifle and to get the last bit they can out of it. lots and lots of trigger time and practice is another thing, because to shoot long range, you have to put in the commitment to practice on a regular basis. there is so much more than just putting a rifle together and go out and shoot accurately at a long distance.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
custom built rifles can be very expensive, and accurate custom built rifles made to shoot very long distances can be much more expensive. accuracy is kind of like horsepower and hot rods, it's just a question of money. how much can you afford? another aspect of long range shooting is the reloading and working up accurate loads, specific to the rifle. most people who shoot long range, reload to fine tune the ammo to the rifle and to get the last bit they can out of it. lots and lots of trigger time and practice is another thing, because to shoot long range, you have to put in the commitment to practice on a regular basis. there is so much more than just putting a rifle together and go out and shoot accurately at a long distance.
This is very correct. Its all about wind, elevation, BC, angles and all other things of that nature. I just got done building a long range rifle. Ya on my build thread it seemed to go very quick but some of the stuff like my action and trigger i had for awhile. My stock was already beaded and bedded and that took time off from my build time. All i had to really do was the barrel work which went pretty fast since i worked on it for about 20 hours straight.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
This is very correct. Its all about wind, elevation, BC, angles and all other things of that nature. I just got done building a long range rifle. Ya on my build thread it seemed to go very quick but some of the stuff like my action and trigger i had for awhile. My stock was already beaded and bedded and that took time off from my build time. All i had to really do was the barrel work which went pretty fast since i worked on it for about 20 hours straight.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
glad you got finished with it. how does it shoot? i'm still working with the XS7VH 308 right now. worked on the stock last week and got it stiffened up and bedded. did some shooting this weekend and found a couple of very promising loads, one in a 150gr bullet and one in a 168gr bullet. my groups tightened up a bit after bedding the stock, but with the heavy barrel and the added weight, this rifle is most definately getting heavy!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wambli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 947
Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The Howa is a modified Mauser, as is the 700. Hell the 1903 was a modified Mauser. The CZ is a true Mauser action, controlled feed and all. I can take my Mausers apart and the Howa has some of the same lineage. The CZ is guaranteed 600 yard moa! Sorry dude, but you are off base here.
CZ-USA -> CZ 550 Ultimate Hunting rifle
Not trying to be contentious and with all due respect, while I understand your point that's like saying all cars are Model T's because they share a bunch of characteristics and the Model T was the first commercially successful of them.

Most folks when refering to Mauser actions and their closer derivatives (1903s, 1917s, Winchester pre-64s, Rugers, Kimbers, CZ which are the closest to a true Mauser available today without sporting the Mauser name and price tag)associate the term with controlled feed actions. If you want to stretch it quite a bit I guess ALL bolt actions are Mauser derived actions but I don't know many folks that stretch the definition that far...

By the way true Mausers are still being made and they carry a 5 figure price tag and have a 1 year wait last I checked. Not too many land on these shores but I'm pretty lucky to own a fully custom modern magnum square bridge Mauser in .375 H&H. It's quite the rifle.
__________________

Last edited by Wambli; 01-08-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Wambli is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

glad you got finished with it. how does it shoot? i'm still working with the XS7VH 308 right now. worked on the stock last week and got it stiffened up and bedded. did some shooting this weekend and found a couple of very promising loads, one in a 150gr bullet and one in a 168gr bullet. my groups tightened up a bit after bedding the stock, but with the heavy barrel and the added weight, this rifle is most definately getting heavy!
Ya all my results are on the build thread for it. Still no pics but its done thankfully...its a ball to shoot.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

That's like saying all cars are Model T's because they share a bunch of characteristics and the Model T was the first commercially successful of them.

Most folks when refering to Mauser actions and their closer derivatives (1903s, 1917s, Winchester pre-64s, Rugers, Kimbers, CZ which are the closest to a true Mauser available today without sporting the Mauser name and price tag)associate the term with controlled feed actions. If you want to stretch it quite a bit I guess ALL bolt actions are Mauser derived actions but I don't know many folks that stretch the definition that far...

By the way true Mausers are still being made and they carry a 5 figure price tag and have a 1 year wait last I checked. Not too many land on these shores but I'm pretty lucky to own a fully custom modern magnum square bridge Mauser in .375 H&H. It's quite the rifle.
Ya i had to pay $1100 just for my warbirds action from them. Then had a one month wait to get it.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Mil-Surp Rifle, Enfield, Mauser, SKS, other? sputnik1988 Curio & Relic Discussion 133 08-19-2012 04:22 AM
Mauser Patrone 22 long rifle n8ball .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 4 10-03-2011 11:44 AM
K98 Mauser action cappaletti Gunsmithing Forum 13 12-01-2010 10:28 PM
Swedish Mauser (sniper?) Rifle sc0li0sis General Rifle Discussion 5 06-06-2010 10:29 PM
Help!!! I have a Mauser action with a 6mm Scott wbales Ammunition & Reloading 7 07-20-2008 12:41 PM