looking to build a Mauser action rifle in 300 Win Mag - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking to build a Mauser action rifle in 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Custom rifles, sky is the limit, both in potential cost and available features/calibers. Factory stuff, some very nice ones are available. The Montana rifles look very nice, Winchester still makes a Super Grade that is very nice, and a couple of nice fairly stock factory rifles. The nice part is, you get to choose what you want. Have fun.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter5647 View Post
im wondering where i can buy:
1. a good commerical mauser action for 300 win mag
2. a good barrel
3. and a good stock to fit it
pretty simple ha
Here's a thought. How about telling us what you are planing to do with it? If you are looking for a hunting gun a CZ will be exactly what you are looking to do for fairly inexpensive. If you want to get to the next level, the Kimber line is a controled feed closer to the Winchester pre-64 (Mauser based) and a GREAT line of rifles. If you really want to go custom Montana sells actions, barreled actions and full rifles and they have a fantastic controled feed action.

If you are looking for anything else besides a normal hunting rifle I would start with a CZ or you can shop for a Interarms MarkX used rifle and use the action for a custom. Both are excellent commercial Mauser actions.

The .300 WinMag does not require a true magnum Mauser action. It will fit into a 30-06 length action. A real Magnum length Mauser action (not the CZ but a REAL Mauser action like a magnum square bridge action for the .375 H&H class cartridges) is a rare thing and worth a boatload of money.

The Howa is not a Mauser action. It is a push feed closer to a Remington 700. Nothing wrong with them ut not a Mauser type.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #13

Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Wambli Good point. The mauser design is a control feed needed today for afican hunts or grizzly defence than for a quality accurate rifle. The ruger is also a mauser design.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #14

well i plan on hunting

Old 01-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

i have a WWII mauser now that i hunt with, which is fun
but i'd like a new rifle, i do deer, coyote,and boar hunt, i know the 300 win mag might be a little strong for it, but thats the round ive decided on

Old 01-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #16

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter5647 View Post
i have a WWII mauser now that i hunt with, which is fun
but i'd like a new rifle, i do deer, coyote,and boar hunt, i know the 300 win mag might be a little strong for it, but thats the round ive decided on
If you reload your own the 300 WM is quite a versitle round.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #17

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Here's a thought. How about telling us what you are planing to do with it? If you are looking for a hunting gun a CZ will be exactly what you are looking to do for fairly inexpensive. If you want to get to the next level, the Kimber line is a controled feed closer to the Winchester pre-64 (Mauser based) and a GREAT line of rifles. If you really want to go custom Montana sells actions, barreled actions and full rifles and they have a fantastic controled feed action.

If you are looking for anything else besides a normal hunting rifle I would start with a CZ or you can shop for a Interarms MarkX used rifle and use the action for a custom. Both are excellent commercial Mauser actions.

The .300 WinMag does not require a true magnum Mauser action. It will fit into a 30-06 length action. A real Magnum length Mauser action (not the CZ but a REAL Mauser action like a magnum square bridge action for the .375 H&H class cartridges) is a rare thing and worth a boatload of money.

The Howa is not a Mauser action. It is a push feed closer to a Remington 700. Nothing wrong with them ut not a Mauser type.
The Howa is a modified Mauser, as is the 700. Hell the 1903 was a modified Mauser. The CZ is a true Mauser action, controlled feed and all. I can take my Mausers apart and the Howa has some of the same lineage. The CZ is guaranteed 600 yard moa! Sorry dude, but you are off base here.
CZ-USA -> CZ 550 Ultimate Hunting rifle

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #18

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The Howa is a modified Mauser, as is the 700. Hell the 1903 was a modified Mauser. The CZ is a true Mauser action, controlled feed and all. I can take my Mausers apart and the Howa has some of the same lineage. The CZ is guaranteed 600 yard moa! Sorry dude, but you are off base here.
CZ-USA -> CZ 550 Ultimate Hunting rifle
Just a courious question; but what is the real world advantage / disadvantage, of a controlled feed action, like the Mauser type action, and a push feed action?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #19

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14

Just a courious question; but what is the real world advantage / disadvantage, of a controlled feed action, like the Mauser type action, and a push feed action?
With a controlled feed you dont have to worry bout the round going into the chamber popping out of the action like you do a push feed. Reason being a control feed starts to lock onto the case rim as soon as it makes contact w said rim.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #20

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Wambli Good point. The mauser design is a control feed needed today for afican hunts or grizzly defence than for a quality accurate rifle. The ruger is also a mauser design.
What is needed for Dangerous game is a big enough cartridge. The .300WM does not fit the bill. There are others such as the .416 Rigby, 9.3x62, 375 H&H.
For N.A. the .300WM is hard to beat as an overall good hunter. For Grizzly, I'd want a bigger piece of lead, I'm a girly man. No Knives for griz! ok, maybe 1, but it has scrumptious mother of pearl handles!

Can you clarify if the Mauser is reliable, or quality and accurate?? I can't tell from your post.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.