Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking to build a Mauser action rifle in 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default looking to build a Mauser action rifle in 300 Win Mag

im wondering where i can buy:
1. a good commerical mauser action for 300 win mag
2. a good barrel
3. and a good stock to fit it
pretty simple ha

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20938 Times on 11895 Posts
Likes Given: 52509

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter5647 View Post
im wondering where i can buy:
1. a good commerical mauser action for 300 win mag
2. a good barrel
3. and a good stock to fit it
pretty simple ha
just buy the Howa 1500, has a mauser type action, chmabered in 300 win. mag., has a very good barrel already and a good stock, MSRP of $690, which means you can probably get it for less than $600. building a rifle from a mauser action is going to cost twice to three times as much. not trying to discourage you, just showing the reality of it. custom built rifles that shoot well are expensive.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #3

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

A good barrel, a Bartlein or Krieger. I've been running a 1 in 11 twist Krieger #9 contour and shoot up to 210 grain Bergers but mostly 190 grain. Barrel is 28" long. New barrel being made is going to be 1 in 10 twist so I can run 220 and 230 Bergers. It will also be 28" long. Thinking new barrel will be a Bartlein #7 MTU contour with a progressive or "T" twist ending in 1 in 10.

I like the McMillan A-5, however, you may want another type of stock from McMillan or someone else depending on how you intend to use the rifle and budget. The barrels I have listed are heavy too. It is a tack driver @ 1000 yards and puts holes in holes @ 100 yards.

Kind of like the Surgons 1086 LA with a .550 bolt face for the 300 WM.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/1086

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php#a5

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/

http://bartleinbarrels.com/

Last edited by mrm14; 01-06-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

You will need a Magnum receiver. They are not cheap!! .300WM is a tad to long for a '98 receiver. As stated, the Howa is a modified Mauser action, it is a push feed. Very good rifles.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

You could look at the CZ 550 and be done with it.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

sharpshooter, the point i am trying to make is simple, trying to build a rifle at home can be done if you have the skills and the equipment, but isn't cheap to do it right and safe. the parts to build a quality and accurate firearm are not cheap. if you don't have the equipment and skills for the task at hand, then you will need to enlist a gunsmith to do the job, and again, not cheap.

i am in the process right now of having a custom rifle built, on a remington M700 action. when finished, i will have about $3000-3500 in just the rifle. then i the scope i plan to use is almost $2000. for the money spent, i could have two or three really nice rifles and scopes for what i'm spending on one rifle. so why would i spend that kind of money? one the caliber i'm using, 6.5mm-06 A-Square, no one chambers in this caliber factory and no one has, there isn't any factory ammo available, so all ammo will be handloads. second i wanted to build a custom rifle in an obscure caliber several years ago and have been planning this rifle for many years. when it's finished, it will totally custom and unique.

i am, like i said, not trying to tell you not to build a custom rifle or that it can't be done, or trying to discourage you from doing so. just trying to point out what is involved, the cost, the realities, and the pitfalls in doing one. it is also very time consuming and requires lots of paitence in being able to wait for things to come together.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This guys are right on as to what it takes and cost today..

What do you want a really nice old school rifle. Check this out- Rifles

Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
This guys are right on as to what it takes and cost today..

What do you want a really nice old school rifle. Check this out- Rifles
thanks hardluk, just trying to point out the realities of building a rifle, and an excellent link to montana rifles. they build very nice, accurate and quality rifles. i have had the chance a few times to look at them and hold them. pictures do not do them justice at all. they are truly works of art in the firearms world. too many backyard gunsmiths, what i call them, have truly butchered rifles in the quest for a custom rifle, to only find out that they were in over their head and could have gotten what they wanted by just buying a rifle, rather than trying to build one. i am not against someone building a custom rifle, but be realistic in what you want, what your skill level is and how much you can afford for the project. most of us do not have the skills or the equipment to undertake a project of this magnitude, that is just reality. most nice of the shelf factory rifles shoot better than the average shooter can. my advice is this, figure out what you want the rifle for, determine your skills and abilities, then figure out how much you can afford to spend. if you are honest with yourself, then this will determine the direction to go.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #9

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
You could look at the CZ 550 and be done with it.
Best post out of everyone! Great rifles!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #10

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have run into a few of those tech school smithies that seems to forgot about the 8000 hour minimum apprentiship needed to be called a basic but real smithy. Got a couple of them in our area.

I bumped into a guy 15 years ago that was looking for bargain rifles for the actions for some custom hunting rifles. I ended up haveing him redo a ruger 77 MKII 7mm rem mag after he him'd and haw'd about the investment cast parts. Ended up with a great hunter. #8 krieger 27" barrel, timney trigger and bedded and blocked lam stock. for 890 dollars. Broke it in with some hornady 139gr sst hm i had and a cheap simmons 2.8-14 scope i planed on replaceing and found it would and still does shoot at or under 2" at 400 yards. Went back and pay him. he said if I did not reload to find what it liked I was leaveing alot on the floor. I did and cut groups almost in half but but did not shoot it enough to justify it or try match grade bullets. Cleaned out my local gun shop of the same lot number of the same hornady ammo. Still shoots as well today with the current superformance stuff. Now that I am retired I desided to have him build me a rifle with his 6.5x338 cartidge and sako action he had developed years ago. Get back to reloading for rifles and found he died a year before. Man he made some really fine hunting rifles. His personal sako actioned rifle had a 200 yard group of .284 and said it could maybe shot better but he was not good enough. Nice old man and very talented. He had all his equipment in his basement.