looking for additional information on new Spanish Mauser
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > looking for additional information on new Spanish Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default looking for additional information on new Spanish Mauser

I recently bought a Spanish Mauser from a friend who was hard up for cash as a restoration candidate for a fairly decent price due to his situation. I consider it a restoration candidate because of his "cleaning up" of the metal. It seems as though he has scrubbed the **** out all the metal parts with a green scour pad or steel wool.

If I could get a bit of details on the rifle from some experienced collectors I would be very grateful. I have been doing internet research for the last two nights and aside from a plethora of history I have hit a dead end. So far it seems that I have a 1916 short (21") rifle with a 1893 bolt and a 1931 date stamp. One of the things that puzzles me is the round bottom bolt. Any more information would be welcome so that I may order the correct parts. I am attaching some pictures.

20130422_220227.jpg   20130422_220128.jpg   20130422_220157.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

Any information to further what I have found so far?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The rifles action looks like it was made in 1931 which would seem to me that it would be a model 95. But the bolt face indicates that it would be from an earlier model, like a 93. Possible that the bolt was fitted to the rifle under armory maintenance or some other force matching of parts.

do the serial numbers on the bolt and the receiver match? Because it is also possible that someone just found a bolt for it and put it with the rifle. I'd definitely have the headspace checked before firing it.

I have a '95 that has the round faced bolt. The Spanish used both '93 and '95 rifles then later went to a model 1916 that was just a slightly updated version of the '95. Possible that when they were updating to the 1916 that they used bolts from both '93 and '95 rifles. They may have redone the receiver roll marks with new dates to reflect when the rifle was converted to a 1916.

Some of these rifles were rechambered to a 7.62 cal, while others were left in the original 7mm chambering. The 7.62 rounds that the Spanish civil guard used were a lower pressure round than standard 7.62 NATO and .308 winchester rounds and most gunsmiths I have talked to recommend only hand loading for these rifles because they were not built to handle the more common loads or commercial loads.

If it is 7mm you should be fine with 7mm Mauser (7x57mm) loadings that you can buy commercially, because they were loaded while still keeping these older rifles in mind.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 04-24-2013 at 08:38 PM.
mcredimus Likes This 
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.

So what you are saying is it looks as though I have a 95 converted to a 1916 instead of a 93?

And to answer your questions, no. All the numbers match except for the bolt, although the bolt and the ???shroud??? do match. (the bolt and the part that screws off the back that holds the safety) Even though the previous owner said he fired it, I still plan on having the head-space checked since I found some other weird fixes he had done for example trying to fix the failure to feed problem by re-bending and stretching the follower spring, when the problem is the lip on the receiver hanging over the front of the magazine well. (not much but enough to catch the front of the pointed 7mm rounds) And second it is chambered for 7mm Mauser.
My plans from this point forward is to make it my first "project" rifle since it has been mostly devalued by the previous owners attempts at "cleaning it up". On top of that it doesn't seem like it would be worth a whole lot if it was in great shape. I am e-mailing Fogle's in Ohio today about rebluing all the metal parts but am open to recommendations if anyone knows a good shop near Alabama. I can find several closer but have no information on the quality of jobs they have done. The stock I will take care of myself but plan on re-staining it a bit lighter than origanol.
At the moment I am on here looking for as much information on what I have as I can get.

Last edited by mcredimus; 04-24-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #5

meant to edit above

Last edited by mcredimus; 04-24-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Even in great shape these do not seem high on collectors lists. Not uncommon to see these old military Mausers with the metal mostly down to the white metal from the repeated field use and cleaning they get. Refinishing it could cost you more than the gun is worth, and reduce collector value even more.

Anything you do to the wood will also likely lower the value. If you are intent on restoring it to original looking condition for your own desire to keep it then it may be fine.

I see them sell for right around $200 or less on used gun racks.

My bet is that that bolt does not belong on that rifle and you may be better served finding a '95 bolt and having a gunsmith fit it. The square shoulders of the older '93 bolt were for that specific action and magazine/follower.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

I'm not sure where either of you are getting your info. The bolt looks to be 100% correct for the '95 action. It is the same in the respects questioned as the Swede '96. Which is a slightly modified '95. As far as ammo, if it is 7.62x51, shoot 7.62x51. That rifle looks to have the correct stamps for 7x57. The 7.62x51 Cetme round only existed for a couple of years, although production continued till 1970 or so, it was a training round after the Cetme A was discontinued. I'd just clean the metal and shoot it. Give the stock a few coats of BLO. Do the same every year. Sometimes people over analyze these rifles. The "shoulder" is part of the receiver, not the bolt. Many South american Mausers had a raised peice of the receiver behind where the bolt handle rested that was called the shoulder. It acted like the third lug on a '98.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-24-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I'm not sure where either of you are getting your info. The bolt looks to be 100% correct for the '95 action. It is the same in the respects questioned as the Swede '96. Which is a slightly modified '95. As far as ammo, if it is 7.62x51, shoot 7.62x51. That rifle looks to have the correct stamps for 7x57. The 7.62x51 Cetme round only existed for a couple of years, although production continued till 1970 or so, it was a training round after the Cetme A was discontinued. I'd just clean the metal and shoot it. Give the stock a few coats of BLO. Do the same every year. Sometimes people over analyze these rifles. The "shoulder" is part of the receiver, not the bolt. Many South american Mausers had a raised peice of the receiver behind where the bolt handle rested that was called the shoulder. It acted like the third lug on a '98.
This is a '93 bolt face

This is a '95 bolt face (like mine)