Looking at .204 Ruger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Looking at .204 Ruger

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default Looking at .204 Ruger

I've read that this is a good caliber for predators (fox/yotes) at 250 yds and in, with little recoil and can be loaded to minimize pelt damage. I see a number of rifles out there with varying barrel lengths. What effect does a barrel, say 2" longer than another, have on accuracy out to 250 yds.? CZ offers 2 rifles in .204. One has a 22" barrel and weighs 2 lbs less than the other with a 24" barrel. What would be the benefits of one over the other?

Can anyone recommend a good rifle in .204? Thanks.

__________________
Yamahog12 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,638
Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Default

I would`nt even think of it, if you do good luck finding ammo for it & if you do the price will scare you to death. I would reconsider unless you reload a lot !................

__________________

When all else fails.

303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
I would`nt even think of it, if you do good luck finding ammo for it & if you do the price will scare you to death. I would reconsider unless you reload a lot !................
This is not a good caliber for the stated purpose?
__________________
Yamahog12 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

for coyote hunting where you would not be making lots of shots, the shorter and lighter rifle would be probably more suited to your needs. it would be plenty capable at the distances you listed with a good scope attached.

the longer barreled version is probably a heavy barreled version and would give it just a slight edge in velocity over the shorter barreled version. this rifle would be more suited to the small rodent varmint hunter like prairie dogs and such at longer distances of 300-400 yards.

my Remington M700 in 204 Ruger has a lighter contoured 26" barrel on it with a factory synthetic stock. with my reloads, it will easily drop five rounds into practically the same hole when i concentrate on my shooting. with it's velocity and flatness, it's very close to being like a laser beam.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
Sniper03 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
for coyote hunting where you would not be making lots of shots, the shorter and lighter rifle would be probably more suited to your needs. it would be plenty capable at the distances you listed with a good scope attached.

the longer barreled version is probably a heavy barreled version and would give it just a slight edge in velocity over the shorter barreled version. this rifle would be more suited to the small rodent varmint hunter like prairie dogs and such at longer distances of 300-400 yards.

my Remington M700 in 204 Ruger has a lighter contoured 26" barrel on it with a factory synthetic stock. with my reloads, it will easily drop five rounds into practically the same hole when i concentrate on my shooting. with it's velocity and flatness, it's very close to being like a laser beam.
Thanks. Is it difficult to find factory loaded ammo in the .204?
__________________
Yamahog12 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahog12 View Post
Thanks. Is it difficult to find factory loaded ammo in the .204?
in my area, i have no problems finding ammo. Walmart, two pawn shops and my LGS carry it. about $20-25 a box of 20 is the usual price. but i don't have that concern as i reload for mine. i have quite a bit of brass and will pick up a box or two every so often just so i have some new brass to reload with.

ammo availablity can be regional. i still can't get hardly any 22 rimfire ammo in my area yet. 9mm is not in abundant supply either.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
in my area, i have no problems finding ammo. Walmart, two pawn shops and my LGS carry it. about $20-25 a box of 20 is the usual price. but i don't have that concern as i reload for mine. i have quite a bit of brass and will pick up a box or two every so often just so i have some new brass to reload with.

ammo availablity can be regional. i still can't get hardly any 22 rimfire ammo in my area yet. 9mm is not in abundant supply either.
I would eventually reload but would start with factory stuff at first. Thanks for your helpful replies.
__________________
Yamahog12 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahog12 View Post
I would eventually reload but would start with factory stuff at first. Thanks for your helpful replies.
i really like shooting my 204 Ruger. noise is a bit loud though! but next to no recoil at all. reloading can be a challenge because of the small diameter bullets.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i really like shooting my 204 Ruger. noise is a bit loud though! but next to no recoil at all. reloading can be a challenge because of the small diameter bullets.
For shooting coyotes and minimizing pelt damage, what would be a good factory round to try? Thanks.
__________________
Yamahog12 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,308
Liked 5704 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

Default

The .204 is an excellent varmint round;

BUT

It really won't do anything that a .223 won't do, and .223 ammo/components are much more readily available, offer a larger selection, and are usually less expensive.

And should you decide to hunt deer, the .223 is capable in good handfs, nbd legal in most states.

Having said all that, if you already have a .223, the .204 is a truly excellent excuse to buy a new rifle!

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger Vs Ruger opinions wanted JonM Revolver Handguns 35 10-12-2012 02:13 PM
Ruger p95 cfitting Semi-Auto Handguns 2 07-14-2012 05:32 AM
Ruger p95 cfitting Semi-Auto Handguns 13 07-09-2012 11:24 PM
Ruger 10/22 Take Down JonM .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 5 07-07-2012 04:13 AM
Ruger 10/22 into an SL8 defcon .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 0 05-09-2012 05:14 AM