Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > longarms & handedness ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
A pistol grip stock would also make for easier control with a single hand, but they might feed you to the kangaroos if they saw you with one. A sling would be more easily removed without damage to the rifle.

I will say, my first non-air powered gun was a .22 rifle in single shot, bolt action, and it was extremely fun and darn accurate. I got it for Xmas when i was 6. I can't name more than a half dozen Xmas gifts i've received in my life, but i'll never forget picking that lil rifle up & killing my first squirrel about 10 minutes later. I still have that rifle at my dad's house.

Hmm, nice idea but yeah I don't know if that would go down too well! I really like the sling idea - don't have to modify their gun which would probably be prohibited anyway, can be a bit more comfortable in the most likely months it will take before i can get my own rifle.
(suprisingly, I haven't seen any roos on the range...considering it's just a huge piece of wasteground. Maybe foxes would be more likely hehe)

Anzac rifle range

Can't believe you had a rifle @ 6 (!) I think the minimum age for a minor's licence here is 12. And you can't own a firearm before age 18.

But then you don't necessarily need to be licensed in The Land of the Free, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, there ARE a few lefty 22 bolt guns out there- the Mossberg L 43 was a left handed version of the 43- but scarce.

Shooting without a bipod, you might TRY operating the bolt with your LEFT hand, yes, means reaching over the action. If you watch the movie Saving Private Ryan, there is a lefty sniper doing just that.

At least it does not do what a right handed autoloader does- throw hot brass down the neck of your shirt!

Thanks, I must see if that 'over-the-action' movement is feasible for me next time. Going to be very interesting in any case.

Haha, my self-defence teacher pulled down the neck of his tshirt once to show us the hot-metal scars, as a fellow lefty, hehe. Then of course he was also taught to shoot right handed in the army for necessity. But being a Green Beret (as he was) you're not allowed to show pain anyway lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
The pistol grip idea isant all that far off, back in the 1880's they did add a scant grip to out Springfield Trapdoor target rifle by adding a small rounded off wedge shaped addition to the straight grip (looks like a door hold open wedge from the side) they are held in with a couple screws. You could fabricate one from rubber or wood and stain it your self. Might have to check your club they might have rules about modifying a factory firearm.
Something to keep in mind if I end up getting a r/hander & want to modify it. A lot of approvals/paperwork to get thru before I'm at that stage tho! Thanks Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by od green View Post
As long as you are talking 22 rim fire you might look at HENRY"S lever action . My son shoots left handed and has never had a problem . The action is as smooth as silk and you can still hold sight picture as you cycle the action. I have both the 22 lr and the 22 mag and the only way to tell them apart is which side the hammer spur is on. Very accurate and very affordable.
Well I've only shot a centrefire so far, I will be guided by what the club suggests...I'm on a pretty steep learning curve atm. I don't even know the legal status of lever-actions here. Wouldn't surprise me if they were illegal...most things seem to be, haha.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Belated reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Can't believe you had a rifle @ 6 (!) I think the minimum age for a minor's licence here is 12. And you can't own a firearm before age 18.

But then you don't necessarily need to be licensed in The Land of the Free, do you?
I was closely supervised until i was older. The rifle was purchased by my father from a friend, no paperwork whatsoever. The first gun i purchased for myself was a mossberg 500 12 guage pump shotgun at age 23 or so (on way to dove hunt). Licensed? No, no license, though they did run a really quick background check when i recently bought a pistol (age 37). In addition, people born after 1973 or so have to take some kind of hunter safety course to get a license to hunt, in MS.

I saw a lefty on another forum; i seriously doubt you could get it into your hands legally, but it might give you a model to look for.

TheFiringLine Forums
".22 LR CZ 452 American package" Maybe you can find one locally? Good luck. (it doesn't look like it, but that is supposed to be a clickable link. unfortunately, you have to be logged in to the firing line's forum. Oops, i didn't notice that. This is the Wikipedia description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_452 I can't see any lefty models on gunbroker, so you might want to join the firing line to see the pics of the lefty. I did see some .17 models on Gunbroker, if you wanted more detailed plinking portraits.)

Last edited by orangello; 06-08-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post

Thanks for all the replies guys!

The licensing here depends on the state where you live. It can be confusing, but up to the individual to know the laws.

Anyway, welcome to the Supporting member status, zhuk! I'm glad you could join.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Belated reply

I was closely supervised until i was older. The rifle was purchased by my father from a friend, no paperwork whatsoever. The first gun i purchased for myself was a mossberg 500 12 guage pump shotgun at age 23 or so (on way to dove hunt). Licensed? No, no license, though they did run a really quick background check when i recently bought a pistol (age 37). In addition, people born after 1973 or so have to take some kind of hunter safety course to get a license to hunt, in MS.

I saw a lefty on another forum; i seriously doubt you could get it into your hands legally, but it might give you a model to look for.

TheFiringLine Forums
".22 LR CZ 452 American package" Maybe you can find one locally? Good luck. (it doesn't look like it, but that is supposed to be a clickable link. unfortunately, you have to be logged in to the firing line's forum. Oops, i didn't notice that. This is the Wikipedia description: CZ 452 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I can't see any lefty models on gunbroker, so you might want to join the firing line to see the pics of the lefty. I did see some .17 models on Gunbroker, if you wanted more detailed plinking portraits.)
Thanks for all the info orangello, much appreciated. I'm yet to receive the licence application/safety course forms from the Firearms Registry, so it will be a while before i'm in any position to purchase. The bureaucracy takes at least 8 weeks to process, then there's a 'permit to accquire' application to be granted with another period of waiting there. So yeah, it's not going to be a quick process!

I've been advised that it might be a good idea to learn to shoot right handed from the start, since I'm right-eyed. Particularly before i get used to a lefty stance. Thought I might be able to have my 2nd attempt @ rifle last weekend, but the 'powers-that-be' in the overseeing body killed my club's range time for that [It's an ongoing struggle for the club to maintain it's independence, and court cases are now in full swing].

Still able to have a go @ pistol targets though; no pls try not to laugh too hard at my newbie-stance...it still feels very strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
The licensing here depends on the state where you live. It can be confusing, but up to the individual to know the laws.

Anyway, welcome to the Supporting member status, zhuk! I'm glad you could join.
OK, that makes sense I guess, your States-Rights maintain dominance over federal laws afaik don't they? Here the licensing laws were pretty much standardised across the country with the 1996 laws after Port Arthur...and we only have 6 States & 2 Territories which would simplify it bigtime.

Hey I'm stoked to receive supporting member status! and never had to bribe anyone either, from memory lol

Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Good luck with your quest for a firearm! And to think, i was upset that i didn't get to go to the old oil well & sight in my SKS this weekend.

Maybe they will eventually reform your gun control laws.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ahh an SKS! You are lucky...no semi-auto longarms for us. I would give any amount of $$ to give an AK a go, personally

Actually, we are very lucky to still have semi-auto pistols...since they have been outlawed in the UK. Well we have them for now, anyway lol

I would like to be optimistic about our chances for gun law reform...but it's extremely unlikely. Unlike the US, we have a completely different culture where gun ownership has never been widespread...mostly among the rural farmers etc, and being one of the most urbanised countries in the world (the huge desert-ish mass of the country is hardly hospitable!) the majority of people would see no need for guns. Especially as owning one for self-defence has never been legal anyway...so pretty much all those outside rural areas/licensed for primary production/professional vermin control etc must be target sporting shooters only.

And @ only 5% of the population, gun owners are hardly any kind of lobby group