Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > longarms & handedness ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default longarms & handedness ?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, mods feel free to move it if necessary~

Just had a couple of questions re longarms & handedness. I'm a lefty using right handed bolt-action .22s, and I can see how using a bipod removes some of the awkwardness as far as using the bolt goes. I can chamber a new round with my right hand reasonably easily, as the bipod is obviously supporting. But what happens when standing/kneeling and you have to support the forestock with your trigger hand to reload?

I imagine it would use valuable time to do this. And since I'm competition target shooting (the only form of shooting legal in australia - no going out into the bush & plinking allowed!) isn't this gonna make all the difference?

Absolute noob needs to know

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default lefty's get what worls for you

There few ambidextrus rimfires out there most are no longer made, the little Browning bottom ejecting .22 there is of course Lh versions of Savage, Winchester, Browning & Ruger rimfires.
best to get what fits you instead of what doesent.
Might try Taurus pump 62's and 72's they eject out the top (to the right)
A left handed accointance actully likes Taurus's Model 63 even though this little semi auto ejects to the right He loves shooting it, lever actions would be another option i guess, I have a Stevens model 30 single shot thats left hand shooter friendly (two my children shoot left handed one is actually a leftie and the other is left eye dominate)

Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4713

Rex, can they have semi-autos in Australia? I thought it was just bolt guns?

Good luck guy! Maybe you could use a sling to support the weight of the gun somehow while you work the bolt. Maybe a strap to fix the buttstock to your left arm, something like an archery guard???

Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Australia??

DoooooH.....My bad! go figure!

I think some them Aussie gun restrictions washed up in California the sunny granola wx has allowed them to take root!

There sould be pretty good shooting forums in The Great Land (shooting clubs come to mind) get a word out with the gunsmiths of what you need, Im a little off when it comes to Aussie arms law's when you apply for a permit and your allowed a firearm, do you have to submit a revision? is there a allowable number of firearms your allowed? are you stuck with what you have? or can you trade it off for a model that would be more ergonomicly suited to your being lefthanded? , with a little networking you may be able to trade up to a leftie bolt gun.

Word gets out your looking for a 5 shot leftie bolt gun with enough people looking and thinking of you one may surface!

We do have some good choices in the USA problem is importing and paperwork into Australia which I bet would be costly a $300 SAVAGE rimfire could end up over $2200 when finished, there still may be some good BSA martini singleshots laying round?

If you were lucky and had a American Auntie she could buy one at Walmart, have cousin waldo dissemble it and mail you a piece at a time?
darn that wont work cause then you would have a un-documented gun and that wouldent be fun!

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 05-14-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
DoooooH.....My bad! go figure!

I think some them Aussie gun restrictions washed up in California the sunny granola wx has allowed them to take root!

There sould be pretty good shooting forums in The Great Land (shooting clubs come to mind) get a word out with the gunsmiths of what you need, Im a little off when it comes to Aussie arms law's when you apply for a permit and your allowed a firearm, do you have to submit a revision? is there a allowable number of firearms your allowed? are you stuck with what you have? or can you trade it off for a model that would be more ergonomicly suited to your being lefthanded? , with a little networking you may be able to trade up to a leftie bolt gun.

Word gets out your looking for a 5 shot leftie bolt gun with enough people looking and thinking of you one may surface!

We do have some good choices in the USA problem is importing and paperwork into Australia which I bet would be costly a $300 SAVAGE rimfire could end up over $2200 when finished, there still may be some good BSA martini singleshots laying round?

If you were lucky and had a American Auntie she could buy one at Walmart, have cousin waldo dissemble it and mail you a piece at a time?
darn that wont work cause then you would have a un-documented gun and that wouldent be fun!

No, that's right. Bolt-actions only allowed!

[Hmm I probably should have said before, I was shooting a centrefire on Saturday. Am also cross-eye dominant which complicates matters. However I've been training myself to sight thru the left eye...which seemed to work ]

Not surprisingly, there aren't very many shooting forums around, since only about 5% of the population are licensed shooters, down from 7% before the Port Arthur-inspired new regs went through. For ref:

[Firearms Act 1996 No 46]

And those forums that exist aren't particularly active either (nothing like this one )

After joining a club & completing the compulsory training course, and proving you can satisfy the strict gun-safe regs to the cops satisfaction, you then apply for a licence. Once that is granted, you may apply for a 'permit to accquire' in the appropriate category A (rimfire, not self-loading) B (centrefire, not self-loading) C (self-loaders/pump actions restricted to occupations like professional vermin hunters) D (primary producers ie farmers) and H, 6-month probationary period applies (handguns; ie target pistols, no more than 10 round magazines).

So there's lots of hoops to jump through before I get anywhere near being able to own a firearm.

I honestly don't know how many guns you can possess in the A/B category...I'm going to ask that at the range this weekend. Planning on doing some pistol target shooting. I don't know when the next chance for having a go at the rifle will be - there's a bureaucratic bitchfest going on atm with the club I have just joined and the parent body, SSAA (sporting shooters' assoc of aust). They're trying to cut back on our range time

Quote:

Can just imagine the SWAT guys descending on my place en masse...with Customs bringing up the rear LOL

And followed up with a pretty swift trip to the Bay! (Long Bay jail)

Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Good luck guy! Maybe you could use a sling to support the weight of the gun somehow while you work the bolt. Maybe a strap to fix the buttstock to your left arm, something like an archery guard???

Now that's an idea! Never thought of a sling/strap

thanks very much for that heads-up, orangello. Definately something to look into...particularly as it will probably be quite a long time before I'm able to get my own rifle, and so will be using the club's right-handers

Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4713

A pistol grip stock would also make for easier control with a single hand, but they might feed you to the kangaroos if they saw you with one. A sling would be more easily removed without damage to the rifle.

I will say, my first non-air powered gun was a .22 rifle in single shot, bolt action, and it was extremely fun and darn accurate. I got it for Xmas when i was 6. I can't name more than a half dozen Xmas gifts i've received in my life, but i'll never forget picking that lil rifle up & killing my first squirrel about 10 minutes later. I still have that rifle at my dad's house.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7560 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Well, there ARE a few lefty 22 bolt guns out there- the Mossberg L 43 was a left handed version of the 43- but scarce.

Shooting without a bipod, you might TRY operating the bolt with your LEFT hand, yes, means reaching over the action. If you watch the movie Saving Private Ryan, there is a lefty sniper doing just that.

At least it does not do what a right handed autoloader does- throw hot brass down the neck of your shirt!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Fixing what ya got?

The pistol grip idea isant all that far off, back in the 1880's they did add a scant grip to out Springfield Trapdoor target rifle by adding a small rounded off wedge shaped addition to the straight grip (looks like a door hold open wedge from the side) they are held in with a couple screws. You could fabricate one from rubber or wood and stain it your self. Might have to check your club they might have rules about modifying a factory firearm.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

As long as you are talking 22 rim fire you might look at HENRY"S lever action . My son shoots left handed and has never had a problem . The action is as smooth as silk and you can still hold sight picture as you cycle the action. I have both the 22 lr and the 22 mag and the only way to tell them apart is which side the hammer spur is on. Very accurate and very affordable.