Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long Range Target Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What's your budget?

Lo-bucks 300 mag, even 30-06.

Mid bucks 338 Lapua

Hit the lottery? I'd be thinking maybe CheyTac?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You can get out to 1000 yards with anything as powerful as a .223 or more. People do it all the time with that caliber. It will be easier to do with bigger calibers though since the wind won't be as big of a factor. I'd start thinking .308 or 30.06 but people do it with smaller calibers too.

As for rifles that will shoot that distance accurately look no further than Savage. They have been more than competitive in the F Class and F/TR competitions which are international in nature. In fact bone stock Savage rifles have won many times in those competitions against custom built rifles. That puts your budget at about $1400 for just the rifle. Glass is another big factor. Ammo won't be cheap either. The main thing though is not just practice but instruction on how to shoot right then practice. If you're lucky enough to know someone who can teach you how to do it you're way ahead of the game. Some people spend big money taking classes on how to shoot long distance.

Just don't let people convince you that you need to spend $3000 just on the rifle. You don't. In fact people build Savages for $800-$900 that will shoot pretty well at 1000 yards. But obviously $1200-$1400 will do better. I would highly suggest that you take a look at what Savage has accomplished with their rifles at that distance. It's literally amazing and it's the reason I bought a Savage instead of a Remington 7mm Mag Sendero when I wanted a long range rifle. I have certainly not been disappointed even though up until now I haven't been able to shoot more than 500 yards because I don't have access to a place to shoot any farther than that. I knew I wouldn't be able to shoot 1000 yards so I went with a .223. It's easier on the shoulder and the billfold and both are factors to me now. I have a neck injury that keeps my .30 caliber shooting to a minimum these days. But you would be surprised at the groups I've been able to shoot at 500 yards with that rifle. But from what I know that second 500 yards is a different game altogether because of having to learn to dope the wind much better. I have a 30.06 Savage also but it isn't near the quality of rifle my .223 is. The good thing about a Savage though is a person can start with about any rifle that's based on the 110 and turn it into a great shooter without too much money spent with a gunsmith.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Jeff56 makes a good point. It is easy to spend too much time and money getting involved in the equipment race and it really isn't necessary. An accurate rifle is necessary as is a lot of trigger time.
When it comes to calibers, it is instructional to see what is being used in the main "F" class shoots and in the Wimbledon at Camp Perry. People shoot what they can win with and most are small to medium cartridges. I have seen a couple of 300 Mags in the "F" class but have not seen one which was really in the hunt as far4 as prizes went. The thing is, no cartridge can eliminate the wind as a factor. Only the shooter can do that.
My first "F" class rifle (a 6.5x55) was built on a push feed Model 70 action I picked up at a gunshow for 160 bucks. My total outlay for that rifle amounted to about 1200 dollars, including the scope, and it is still competitive (now as a 308).
I know several guys who have enjoyed great success with the Savages and I agree that is not a bad place to start. GD

Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #14
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1703 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5192

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
KG7IL you don't shoot LR matchs do you. Atleast not with a 7.5lb standard 300 wm hunting rifle.
No, I didn't gather that OP was going to shoot matches, or did I gather that he wanted to modify or buy a high end rifle. My appologies if I missed that.

Earlier Remington 700s continue to be a fine rifle.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #15

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So you think a rifle to shoot a 1000 yards with is a run of the mill hunting rifle?? You da man then.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with some of the other responses. .300 Win Mag is a good way to go for 1000 yards in a very good quality rifle.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5138 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 4344

.300 WnMag has a short neck, complicating loading with long heavy bullets. . The .300RUM has a longer neck. The RUM also has more powder capacity, and therefore higher velocity.

IMHO, the .300 RUM is the winner between these two.

But if you're serious about 1000 yard shooting, the .338 LaPua beats the 30 calibers all to hell.

It sees use by many "SpecOps" troops in the sandbox, and it's the standard issue of Royal Marine commando snipers.

It isn't cheap, but it beats the .30 cals hands down.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1112 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
.300 WnMag has a short neck, complicating loading with long heavy bullets. . The .300RUM has a longer neck. The RUM also has more powder capacity, and therefore higher velocity.

IMHO, the .300 RUM is the winner between these two.
I'll disagree with you on that statement. You can load the long heavy bullets just as easily in the 300WM as with the RUM.
I mainly shoot the Berger 210gr or Hornady 208gr A-Max bullets out of mine,and they have never been complicated to load.
I have always liked the 300WM,and have had several over the years,but you don't need a .30 caliber or bigger to shoot 1k yards.
The 6mm,6.5mm,and 7mm calibers will do it very well with less cost and recoil.The bullet coefficients are better with these bullets and they have far less drop and windage issues than the bigger/slower .30 calibers.

If I was wanting a rifle that would do what the OP wants to begin with,I'd look at the 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor. There's plenty of Match grade ammo available,but if you really want to start shooting long range,you really need to handload to get the maximum performance out of a gun.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5138 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 4344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I'll disagree with you on that statement. You can load the long heavy bullets just as easily in the 300WM as with the RUM.
I mainly shoot the Berger 210gr or Hornady 208gr A-Max bullets out of mine,and they have never been complicated to load.
I have always liked the 300WM,and have had several over the years,but you don't need a .30 caliber or bigger to shoot 1k yards.
The 6mm,6.5mm,and 7mm calibers will do it very well with less cost and recoil.The bullet coefficients are better with these bullets and they have far less drop and windage issues than the bigger/slower .30 calibers.

If I was wanting a rifle that would do what the OP wants to begin with,I'd look at the 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor. There's plenty of Match grade ammo available,but if you really want to start shooting long range,you really need to handload to get the maximum performance out of a gun.

Do you feed your rounds through the magazine, or single load??

I have never been able to load bullets over 180 grains in the WinMag without either exceeding OAL or seriously intruding into the powder space.

Most BR shooters use the .30-.338 in preference to the .300 WinMag becsause of neck length.

The belted WinMag also headspaces on the belt, necessitating the micrometer measurement of the belts. The RUM headspaces on the shoulder.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #20

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Wow!

Thanks for all the responses everyone. A lot of good information. Sorry I just disappeared. Things around here have been pretty rough lately.