Long Range Shooting tips
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long Range Shooting tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Long Range Shooting tips

I am trying to teach myself how to shoot long range however the mathematics are really getting to me. Anyone know of any websites or books that I can check out that can break this stuff down?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

glad you asked, i dont have the answers but am interested in learning.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

What math are you looking for? A good website to give you some basics is JBM Ballistics.

It will help you with approximate come-ups, etc. Fine tuning, and data keeping (log every shot fired) are up to you.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I am working on some instructions to help others with their long range shooting but don't expect anything soon sense I got a ton of things to get done also.

One thing you need to know is the drop rate of the ammo you are using out at the ranges you will be shooting. This you can get from a ballistic calculator, and with this info you can know how much to compensate for.

Example; I am shooting 168 gr. HPBT match at 2600 FPS, the rifle is sighted in for 100 yards, my drop rate at 1000 yards is roughly 440 inches, so I need to aim about 440 inches (37 feet) above the center of target. And with no wind and a lot of luck I will hit the target (some place).

It also helps some to sight the rifle in at 500 yards when shooting out at 1000 yards, this means less clicks come ups you got to dial in.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

have lots of money....

Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #6

Lot's of good information here Sniper's Hide You will be able to find much information & quite a bit of B.S.

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Old 04-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What kind of "long range shooting"? Benchrest? Other Competition? Human Sized Targets? Sport? Fun? Personal Challenge Against Friends?

Because there is a TON of really good knowledge available, from really good sources, that can be recommended, but no sense telling you to subscribe to Benchrest Monthly if you really want to learn how to creep.

JD

Old 04-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

The thing I would do is start out with tango's post on short range shooting and work up from there.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/short-range-shooting-26357/

I know everyone wants to jump right in blasting targets at a 1000 yards but to be realistic everyone needs to start with baby steps first.

As long as I have been shooting I shoot short to mid range and have the most fun with it. My goal is not to just hit a target but to place all my hits within a circle the size of a dime, (each shot),(every time).

Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #9

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

If you reload and have your bullet and velocity info, Norma has a great balistics calculater.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #10

Default ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhtn2day View Post
I am trying to teach myself how to shoot long range however the mathematics are really getting to me. Anyone know of any websites or books that I can check out that can break this stuff down?

Thanks!
Have you tried Understanding firearm ballistics 6th edition,by Robert A Rinker. Simple to understand basic to advanced ballistics. Great book.

Tags
long distance shooting, long range shooting, tactical shooting